• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

I Tried and Liked it: Old School Double Split Training

SiCK

SiCK

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I awhile back i've been trying to find lee haneys and rich gaspari pre-contest training routine. I mean Gaspari was ahead of his time when it came to conditioning. So I found this after searching:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_9_25/ai_n27410470/pg_15?tag=artBody;col1
Tried it for about 5 weeks and liked it quite a bit. I did it using mod carb/low fat.

What do you people think of Haney's and Gaspari's routine?

HANEY AND GASPARI'S
PRECONTEST TRAINING REGIMEN

EXERCISE SETS REPS

MONDAY AND THURSDAY

MORNING: Chest and triceps

Barbell bench presses 5* 8-12
Dumbbell bench presses 3 8-10
Incline bench presses 4 8-10
Incline dumbbell presses 3 8-10
Dumbbell flyes 4 8-10
Pushdowns 4 10-12
Lying extensions 4 8-10
One-arm overhead extensions 4 8-10
Stationary bike 20 minutes

AFTERNOON: Biceps, calve and abs
Barbell curls 4 6-10
Preacher curls 4 8-10
Concentration curls 4 8-10
Standing calf raise 4 10-12
Seated calf raise 4 10-12
Leg raises 4 25
Roman-chair situps or Twisting crunches 4 25
Bike: stationary or free 30 minutes

TUESDAY AND FIRDAY

MORNING: Back and abs

Pullups or Pulldowns to front 4-5 8-10
T-bar rows 4-5 6-8
Cable rows 4 10-12
One-arm dumbbell rows or Bent-over rows 4 6-8
Leg raises 4 25
Roman-chair situps or Twisting crunches 4 25

AFTERNOON: Shoulders and calves
Seated military presses 4-5 8-10
Seated rear presses or Smith machine presses 4-5 8-10
Lateral raises 4 10-12
Rear lateral raises 4 8-10
Behind-the-back shrugs 3 8-10
Standing calf raises 4 10-12
Seated calf raises 4 10-12
Stationary bike 25 minutes

WEDNESDAY AND SATURDAY

MORNING: Thighs

Leg extension 5* 10-12
Leg presses 4-5 12
Standing lunges 3 12-15
Lying leg curls 4-5 10-12
Standing leg curls 4 12
Stiff-leg deadlifts 4 10

AFTERNOON: Calve and abs
Donkey raises 5 10-12
Standing calf raises 5 10-12
Seated calf raises 5 10-12
Leg raises 5 25
Roman-chair situps or Twisting crunches 5 25

* Includes one warm-up set

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Damn dude, that's a TON of work. I'm not so sure I'd think it's the best option on a calorie deficit, maybe a better option for say a 4 week all out bulk (preferably an "assisted" one).

I don't see how you could fit in much cardio doing it?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I did a variation of Arnie's double split a few years ago and that combined with a good 8 meals a day was good for nearly 20kgs (69kg-88kg) of mostly lean mass over an 18 month period. I never touched cardio in that time because I was training so much (2-3hr sessions usually) and my bf stayed steady the entire time, I was a PT and had it checked regularly by co-workers.

I'm not sure I could do it anymore, I built my muscular endurance up to something crazy back then.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
it's good to see you're getting the fire to lift again Sick. with your genetics dude i'm sure this, or nearly any kind of training method, will give you gains. this is a bit too much in terms of time in the gyms and sets for my taste but that's not to say it won't give you results. the best way to know if something will work for you is to try it. good luck and KEEP TRAINING YOU PANSY!

SiCK

SiCK

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Damn dude, that's a TON of work. I'm not so sure I'd think it's the best option on a calorie deficit, maybe a better option for say a 4 week all out bulk (preferably an "assisted" one).

I don't see how you could fit in much cardio doing it?
Yea I thought the same thing, but still...why not try it. I stopped doing because it took up too much of my time. However, Rich&Lee's focus was on achieving the best pump, so its likely lighter weights were used. Which I think is why you maybe able to recover from the frequent sessions, then if you were doing low reps to failure.

The cardio, it says to do 20-25min of cardio after each session.
it's good to see you're getting the fire to lift again Sick. with your genetics dude i'm sure this, or nearly any kind of training method, will give you gains. this is a bit too much in terms of time in the gyms and sets for my taste but that's not to say it won't give you results. the best way to know if something will work for you is to try it. good luck and KEEP TRAINING YOU PANSY!

Thanks man! Appreciate the words. Its really hard for me to get back in to things right now, but im trying.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yea I thought the same thing, but still...why not try it. I stopped doing because it took up too much of my time. However, Rich&Lee's focus was on achieving the best pump, so its likely lighter weights were used. Which I think is why you maybe able to recover from the frequent sessions, then if you were doing low reps to failure.

The cardio, it says to do 20-25min of cardio after each session.

ahh okay. Yeah, anything is worth a shot. That's a lost concept amongst training these days, giving different things a try and hoping to bring something "fun" to training. Though, I'm not sure I agree with the low reps to failure being more recovery demanding than a super high frequent/volume routine like this.

Thanks man! Appreciate the words. Its really hard for me to get back in to things right now, but im trying.

I echo Duality's comments, and it's difficult to get out of a rut. But trying something new is a good way to try.

SiCK

SiCK

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Though, I'm not sure I agree with the low reps to failure being more recovery demanding than a super high frequent/volume routine like this. .

I meant that if you did this exact same routine except with low reps to failure maybe more recovering demanding. What are your thoughts IS?

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I meant that if you did this exact same routine except with low reps to failure maybe more recovering demanding. What are your thoughts IS?

Really depends.... if volume was the same? Sure, the low rep to failure is likely more taxing.... but at least theoretically, a higher volume is associated with "central" fatigue to a larger extent. This is seen in endurance athletes who typically have more nervous system fatigue than power lifters, for example.

It's a shame though, as much as it's theorized that certain types of training "tax" the nervous system, there really aren't that many great studies comparing different modalities of exercise. This one comes to mind, (though I have some problems with it):

Buchheit et al., (2007). Parasympathetic reactivation after repeated sprint exercise. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293: H133-H141.

The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of muscular power engagement, anaerobic participation, aerobic power level, and energy expenditure on postexercise parasympathetic reactivation. We compared the response of heart rate (HR) after repeated sprinting with that of exercise sessions of comparable net energy expenditure and anaerobic energy contribution. Fifteen moderately trained athletes performed 1) 18 maximal all-out 15-m sprints interspersed with 17 s of passive recovery (RS), 2) a moderate isocaloric continuous exercise session (MC) at a level of mean oxygen uptake similar to that of the RS trial, and 3) a high-intensity intermittent exercise session (HI) conducted at a level of anaerobic energy expenditure similar to that of the RS trial. Subjects were immediately seated after the exercise trials, and beat-to-beat HR was recorded for 10 min. Parasympathetic reactivation was evaluated through 1) immediate postexercise HR recovery, 2) the time course of the root mean square for the successive R-R interval difference between successive 30-s segments (RMSSD30s) and 3) HR variability vagal-related indexes calculated for the last 5-min stationary period of recovery. RMSSD30s increased during the 10-min period after the MC trial, whereas RMSSD30s remained depressed after both the RS and HI trials. Parasympathetic reactivation indexes were similar for the RS and HI trials but lower than for the MC trial (P < 0.001). When data of the three exercise trials were considered together, only anaerobic contribution was related to HR trial-derived indexes. Parasympathetic reactivation is highly impaired after RS exercise and appears to be mainly related to anaerobic process participation.