• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Intimidation in the Gym

PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
good stuff frezzy and fatality. I used to be timid about wearing wifebeaters in the gym because of my back acne, now I really don't care and do it frequently.

forsi

forsi

Its the same with using equipment like straps and lifting belt.
People who dont know what this equipment is for sometimes look weird at you.
Or they think you are too noob for this kind of equipment. Just dont pay attention to them.

I

intraining87

when i see those guys it just gives me motivation.. they have been where you are.. someday other people will be looking up to you.. just the circle..

hahaha and forsi that lil video is totally creepin me out..

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I know what you mean. Every quarter when walk into a new class man douche bags give me that"male dominance" look. It's almost as if they were mad at me for being bigger than them. It kinda pisses me off, like "it's not my fault you don't work out".

Oloz

Oloz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I used to care as well back when I was a freshman in high school and pretty new to weight training. All of high school was pretty intimidating. It's funny looking back and people would be asking "how much ya bench?!?!" and shit all the time in high school haha. But anyways, I think once you realize that the only person in the gym that matters is yourself, not the jacked guy squatting 500+ pounds across the gym, it makes training that much better. just my opinion.

Bojangles

Bojangles

The only people I glance at are people with terrible form, it makes me sick. Then I get back to my workout.

wrestling lyon

wrestling lyon

I remember when I first started working out for football my 8th grade year with the varsity team and feeling too intimidated to do bench because I was lagging so far behind I rarely benched
I just stayed with squats for those 2 months because I could keep up with them
but now I just get looks at people for the different exercises I do because these guys think the only lifts that do anything are bench and incline
I love walking in there and doing different lifts and getting all this shit from 99% of the guys on my football team and knowing they are the ones losing out not me

MarkoB

MarkoB

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Actually I went through the same thing. Asking people questions and some where helpfull, and some where assholes. Now that I am the big guy in my gym, I make sure to be friendly and give as much advice as they want. I always try to steer clear of the musclehead stereotype.

I'm also one of the bigger guys in the gym and I love to give advices to new ones... I just respect them that they came to the gym and not somewhere else.

G

glen001

weights

your so right ,there are to many dickheads who all think there mrO {wankers} i:ve bn lifting 4 about 6 years now i will try to help anyone who is in a spot of trouble we need to help newbies that is how your gym will keep people and make the sport grow :xyxthumbs:

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thanks man :). i usually dont go into freeweights section when theres alot of people
not cus of intimidation, just panic disorder. lots of voices etc
but this hits the spot for when i first started training.
thanks!

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
skid9832004

skid9832004

i know what you all mean about being intimidated i say when you first go into the gym go right to the free weights dont be scarred i used to be but now i dont even realize other people in my gym i just concentrate on the workout. After a while you forget about the other people. And people seem to respect me more cuz i work so hard many people compliment me on how hard i work. And i have gained some nice aquaintences that i say hi to when i get in the gym.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
As some may know, I co-op at a local fitness center. I see kids come in and out and many of them rarely stay for more than a few weeks. I will give this advice: Don't be afraid to ask questions. Generally, most people at the gym are there because they love it. Chances are, they would be more than willing to help you if they're not too busy. So ask someone the next time you're in for training advice if they look like they're competent and you just might learn something. :tiphat:

MetalMX

MetalMX

I hate people who just stare at you. Since i've added a hell of a lot of size I always get looks from people at my gym it gives me the shits. Just mind your own business and do your own thing. Im also very helpful if someone asks me something. People think im a douche bag but when someone actually asks me something and i reply in a friendly manner and help them out they look at me with this new attitude i can almost hear them saying to themselves in their head " Wow thanks, didn't think this guy was going to be friendly".

Even though im big i never wear singlets only large xxl shirts, im very self concious. I don't like to be bothered by on lookers, i just wana crank up my ipod and blast those weights!!

h0ke

h0ke

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That was a good post fezzy!

I actually got that problem when I start to lift weights. My friends did much bigger weights than me and there was people who did everythink with huge weights.
I thougt that if I do moves with small weights everybody would laugh at me, well then start ego lifting. I did moves with bigger weights but I did them wrong.
It took time when I realize that everyone has been the same point as me, almost everyone. It was hard to drop the weights and start to do moves rightly.
I actually think that if u do moves wrong with big weights it's much more ridiculous than doing with small weights.

So here is advice for everyone who starts lifting weights: don't do the same mistakes as I did. Start smaller weights and learn to do the moves in the beginning.
If u don't know how to do the move ask it for someone in the gym, they will help u. So be brave bros!

Bone Yard

Bone Yard

i'm one of "those guys"

P

proteinguysx

I think you are correct. Sometimes at the Gym I have the feeling of competition and I say to myself what am I doing here should I compete with others or just be myself and try harder every time. I get respected for that im not the strongest at the gym but I do my workout and I sweat, there is effort and some people go just to talk or socialize.

But im proud of other's too they belong to my GYM and that is good, they are examples, and as you said they started from nothing, some guys go to impress other's I personally think is the effort what counts, no one of us can change our DNA but we can change our present routines and diets I think that affects the whole.

There is someone who is going to look bigger or less big than me and I dont care, I just go to learn , observe and respect this important practice, GYM for me is like a temple there are rituals, traditions and should be respected. Ancient Greeks for instance mixed religion with sports, lifting weights was sacred to because the body was consider as a Temple, sacred that deserve respect not just by oneself but other's around.

I wish my gym will have more equipment, but as I seen some old pictures of great bodybilders they didnt work expensive machines, they used simple methods but had a lot of discipline, sadly in todays society we want fast results and easy results thats why suplm,ents and anabolics exist.

In my personal experience there is a great reward at the Gym, is not so much to gain muscle or look better, that counts but is not the main value I see at the gym, my main value is to see and help other's and to socialize and help them grow better too is cool, an environment of respect and help not so much competition where bigger is better -well sometimes is-..

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Good that u realized that theres no reason to be intimidated... theres more of a reason to get motivated. seeing guys handle business should motivate u to handle business no matter how big or how much weight u are using.

HeavyWeight_86

HeavyWeight_86

Well it's pretty understandable, joining a gym, especially if it's an hardcore one when you're skinny and new to the sport, ain't that easy, but it's all about the attitude man.You gotta feel and see yourself big in the mind, to be big in the body.Perception and projection of what you wanna look like, what you will be like, is what will give you the strength, and with training and given time, you will be.Everybody, almost everybody started skinny or not big, what you will be then it's up to you.

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the only thing I can say is patience..that gets you everything you want.