• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Intimidation in the Gym

frezzy

frezzy

WARNING: general rant...

I know pretty much everyone here is comfortable in their gym, but this is something geared towards those who may be new to lifting and worry about what others think in the gym.
When I first signed up for my local gym, I must admit, I was terrified to go lift freeweights. Guys were lifting ridiculous amounts of weight and yelling and I was just too overwhelmed to go into the freeweight section of the gym. Instead, I stayed at the machines, far away from the "those guys." But over time I realized something, size and appearance do not matter in the gym. Not everyone we see there started out at a solid 240lbs and benching 315 pounds, and I had to realize that. Eventually, I just said forget it, I don't care what anyone thinks, and started to lift in the freeweight section.
I have a bunch of friends who still have this same type of mentality today and I kind of think its sad. No one should be intimidated so much that they don't go to the gym or attempt to lift freeweights! Everyone started off small..except for a small number of lucky people..and people need to keep that in mind. I guess the point of writing this small article is just to tell anyone who may be new to the gym or have friends who are timid when it comes to going, get up and lift! Don't worry about the other people in the gym, you're in their solely to benefit yourself!

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wow man, that was a deep story. I myself had and somewhat still have that problem. The day I first signed up at Cardio Express, I wasn't terrified but I was a little timid with picking up a weight. However, after time and talking to myself I also realized that Coleman and Cutler didn't just magically wake up one morning jacked, they had to train hard as well. After thinking about that, I got pissed off at the fact that I allowed intimidation get in the way of my persuit to becoming a bodybuilder. (Plus I'm paying for the gym, so I needed the time there) Today, I just go in there with a tank-top and not caring about what others think. Because truely, I can't let how others think of me to get in the way!! And neither should anyone else!

Lionheart

Lionheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good post frezzy:xyxthumbs:

Today, I just go in there with a tank-top and not caring about what others think. Because truely, I can't let how others think of me to get in the way!! And neither should anyone else!
Thats the right attitude Fatal:xyxthumbs:

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^It gives me that 'edge'...Thanks!

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think everyone can probably relate to that to some degree. I think a lot of people started training because they weren't happy with the way they were so that makes it intimidating when you already know you aren't what you want to be.
I can see how people would be put off aswell cos I know myself and other lifters who are really approachable don't seem it when lifting due to the grunting and looks of anger and concentration and so forth.

T

Thomas_Rivera

Haha, I know exactly what you mean. I've had some friends that wanted to get in shape before going to a gym. First day I went into the gym headstrong, loaded the weight a little too heavy even and a guy came and helped me and even offered to spot me when I needed it.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
nice story man, everyone gets intimidaed at some point! Its a good thing that there arent too many guys that lift HUGE weights at my gym hahaha

Mygeeto

Mygeeto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i never got intimidated by that, if i seen someone lifting some heavy shit i tried to feed off that energy as much as i could

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
thats cus you have a massive penis

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I can also relate...BUT today I just laugh at all the grunting! Some of those grunters are actually pathetic.

Another thing that bothered me in the beginning (15 years old), was doing the vertical leg press. I could only do them with the weight of the machine and if that machine was loaded with 45lbs plates, I had to skip. Couldn't get the plates off the machine! Sometimes the same thing happened with squats. That is where I learned "Please replace your weights!"

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I can see how people would be put off aswell cos I know myself and other lifters who are really approachable don't seem it when lifting due to the GRUNTING and looks of anger and concentration and so forth.

Rawr

I understand OP, but I never had this problem. Why the fuck should I be afraid of guys whose biceps weight more than me ? Fuck them... they look horrible.
I just come and go, I lift my weights and never care about what others think :3
Besides I pay for it, and there will be always somebody who lifts, weights, looks better.

Kyle

Kyle

when I first started working out I was heavily intimidated by the "usual" guys in there that I still see in there every day. They used to give me weird looks like why am I even trying. When I started putting up more and more weight I find a lot of them paying attention to me now with this WTF look that a skinny kid like myself can put up so much weight on certain machines. It definitely took me a while to get to a point where I could walk in the gym and not care what anything thinks of me. I still feel weird sometimes walking in with a sleeveless shirt on and my small 15.5" biceps :gaygay: but then I notice I'm moving the same amount if not more weight than a lot of guys that are bigger than me and it doesn't bother me much. I just don't put on mass easily so still to this day I get wtf looks from dudes a lot bigger than me struggling to put up less weight than I am.

(BTW I am in no way shape or form saying I put up good numbers because I don't, but I know some people just simply put on size better than others and it's intimidating to someone that is much smaller)

mexiFRO

mexiFRO

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Aye Frezzy, you always say you don't lift enough and who tells you "Hey, it doesn't matter. Just lift. You aren't competing against them. It doesn't matter how much you lift, just lift."

Me by the way...

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I just tell those kids that you have to start somewhere, but dont try to be like me cause you will just fail........ :49:

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Actually I went through the same thing. Asking people questions and some where helpfull, and some where assholes. Now that I am the big guy in my gym, I make sure to be friendly and give as much advice as they want. I always try to steer clear of the musclehead stereotype.

madakira

madakira

You should also remember that not every big guy in the gym is judging you. I don't even think twice when I see someone walk into the free weight section. Try not to be self conscious. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are nice. If you get to know people you will find out that the majority of people you meet are nice.

BONECRUSHER

BONECRUSHER

Buy yourself an Ipod and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing in the Gym.

I agree with madakira it sounds way to self conscious! The truth is no one cares about you in the gym.

Nine times out of ten the only time some one is staring at you is because there weighting for there turn on the equipment. Other than that I don;t think people care if your there or not

Y

Yaztipan

same here man =/ but I'm sort of autistic so I wonder off between sets and it's all good :hsughr:

S

Scoular

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well I am still small and train with the 'big guys'...haha.

ruel

ruel

its ok to lift even the big boys are around! no problem with that coz we go to the gym to become big!