• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Ironslave's training tidbits

imraan47

imraan47

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ironslave said:
I've been lazy with this I know, who isnt this time of year?

Empty stomach cardio

We've all heard that empty stomach cardio is the preferred method for maximal fat loss, but, many worry that elevated cortisol levels will lead to a loss of muscle as well, and rightfully so. Therefore, in the past i have advised against empty stomach cardio if the goal is to hold on to as much muscle as possible while cutting.

But, wouldn't it be so convenient if there was something we could do to take advantage of the AM fasted cardio without losing muscle? Rather than getting up, eating breakfast, waiting for like 3 hours, and then doing the cardio?

Well, according to a study, groups of mice performed exercise under the following conditions:

1) completely fasted
2) glucose meal before exercose
3) whole milk before exercise
4) whey protein before exercise

The fasted group lost the most total weight, fat and muscle (duh).

Group 2 (glucose) experienced increased glucose oxidation and decreased lipid oxidation during and after exercise, which makes sence, because the body was burning the carbs it just ingested as its source of fuel.

The milk and whey group both lost fat, and kept more muscle than fasted did, but the whey group experienced greater gains in lean muscle mass, and lost more fat than the milk group did. Long term, it was concluded that only whey protein before exercise was a favorable method to reduce adiposity while maintaining LBM.

Moral of the story:

Wake up, take whey protein in water, stfu, and do your cardio.

Bouthegourd et al. A preexercise alpha -lactalbumin-enriched whey protein meal preserves lipid oxidation and decreases adiposity in rats. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283: E565-E572, 2002.

i cant help but laugh and question why give rats milk, and is this cows milk?how can u possibly assume that the same digestion is happening in humans as with rats?

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
imraan47 said:
i cant help but laugh and question why give rats milk, and is this cows milk?how can u possibly assume that the same digestion is happening in humans as with rats?

I can't help but laugh and question what the point of this response is. Rats are used because metabolically, glucose control, nutrient absorption, and many other aspects of physiology and endocrinology the closest thing we have compared to humans. Countless drug discoveries have been discovered using animal studies, without it, modern science would be nothing compared to what it is now.

Unless you plan to feed a human a meal, and then kill it, analyze many different aspects of the digestive response, better stick with a rat. Ideally, data in humans is better, but its silly to dismiss a rat study.

FYI wine contains high amount of Resveratrol. One glass is more than enough

FYI, no, not really. It does contain amounts, and there is probably a great synergistic effect with the other phytoalexins, but the amounts would be considered trace. Regardless, there does appear to be the possibility of substantial therapeutic effect with supplemental resveratrol. (PM me for the full text). But plz try and keep posting down unless you are sure of the accuracy of the responses. I don’t really see the point of anything said here.

http://www.nature.com/nrd/journal/v5/n6/abs/nrd2060.html

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah man, here's a good one

We know that for muscle growth, cortisol is bad. Cortisol is considered nonselectively proteolytic (meaning, it breaks down both contractile and non contractile proteins, as part of glucose regulation).

Breakdown of contractile proteins (skeletal muscle) is obviously bad for bodybuilders, but breakdown of non contractile proteins also brings many undesirable effects. Cortsiol produced during exercise may also cause the breakdown of important receptors, specifically, the androgen receptor. Breakdown of the androgen receptor could blunt both the anabolic (muscle building) and lipolytic (fat burning) effects of testosterone. Therefore, cortisol blocking supplements, such as phosphatidyl serine, taken before/during a workout should offer much benefit. Combined with proper pre/during/post workout nutrition should be a recipe for a better body faster.

CJU

CJU

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^booo...that one wasn't very good. post another one to make up for it

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
CJU said:
^booo...that one wasn't very good. post another one to make up for it

This may seem hard to believe... but unless you want to resort to crazy levels and combinations of various chemicals, or genetic engineering.. the vast majority of training success will be determined by sticking to the basics and performing those well.

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ironslave said:
This may seem hard to believe... but unless you want to resort to crazy levels and combinations of various chemicals, or genetic engineering.. the vast majority of training success will be determined by sticking to the basics and performing those well.

Amen.

CJU

CJU

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ironslave said:

sure, but that one wasnt very good because it didnt really break it down for me and tell me exactly what i should do. what suppliments fall under it's no-no list? ect. how about another one about bringing out vascularity? anything else i can do besides the blood flow cut off thing?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
lol, i've become hesitant to post too many "tips", because there really aren't that many which are all effective. Most of the time i do read one (rarely), it slips my mind to post it.

I also don't want this to turn into a thread of recommending every little supplement under the sun, or fancy new exercises/programs; because I am against that mentality. I also don't want it to turn into a Q & A thread or anything else, i'd rather just post in topics in the main sections.

I will try to keep this updated more often tho.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Came across something cool today: eat brown rice, get less cancer

The rice bran constituent tricin potently inhibits cyclooxygenase enzymes and interferes with intestinal carcinogenesis in ApcMin mice.
Cai H, Al-Fayez M, Tunstall RG, Platton S, Greaves P, Steward WP, Gescher AJ
Mol Cancer Ther. 2005 Sep ; 4(9): 1287-92

While brown rice is a staple dietary constituent in Asia, rice consumed in the Western world is generally white, obtained from brown rice by removal of the bran. Rice bran contains the flavone tricin, which has been shown to inhibit colon cancer cell growth. We tested the hypothesis that tricin interferes with adenoma formation in the Apc(Min) mouse. Mice received tricin (0.2%) in their American Institute of Nutrition 93G diet throughout their postweaning life span (4-18 weeks). Consumption of tricin reduced numbers of intestinal adenomas by 33% (P < 0.05) compared with mice on control diet. We explored whether tricin may exert its effect via inhibition of cyclooxygenase (COX) enzymes. Its effect on COX activity was assessed in purified enzyme preparations in vitro and its ability to reduce prostaglandin E(2) (PGE(2)) levels in human colon-derived human colon epithelial cell (HCEC) and HCA-7 cells in vitro and in Apc(Min) mice in vivo. Tricin inhibited activity of purified COX-1 and COX-2 enzyme preparations with IC(50) values of approximately 1 micromol/L. At 5 micromol/L, it reduced PGE(2) production in HCEC or HCA-7 cells by 36% (P < 0.01) and 35% (P < 0.05), respectively. COX-2 expression was reduced by tricin weakly in HCEC and unaffected in HCA-7 cells. PGE(2) levels in the small intestinal mucosa and blood of Apc(Min) mice that had received tricin were reduced by 34% (P < 0.01) and 40% (P < 0.05), respectively, compared with control mice. The results suggest that tricin should be further evaluated as a putative colorectal cancer chemopreventive agent.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^Sounds good. I like my brown rice!

TrueOutlaw

TrueOutlaw

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i have areal hard time reading anything IS post.....

its the Avi it is disturbing
i'll never drink diet coke again

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Bump to this...

Im gonna try and update this more often, things are busy now but certainly over the holidays and new year. I'll probably put up a training log every once in a while, maybe a workout vid (if I can get a camera), along with some random training/health facts.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've been pretty slack with my training lately, due to 1) time constraints but mostly 2) motivation constraints. I don't plan on competing again in a show, but Im going to try and get back into competitive wrestling after Christmas.

Today's workout:

Gymnastics rings, keg lifts, burpees, squat jumps (all in my garage).

1) Grab a keg (~ 85% full of sand) and clean and press it for 8 reps (strict form, more muscle isolation as opposed to jerking), then immediately into 10 burpees (wearing a weight vest). Rested 2 minutes, repeated 4 more times.

2) Chins on the rings (8 reps), superset with 12 squat jumps, all wearing a weight vest. Rested 2 mins, repeated 4 times. (chins went 6, 5, 5, 4).

3) Cardio on the elliptical for 20 minutes at a moderate pace, ~80% HR.

4) Post workout on musclemecca.com

J

jornT

Haha oh boy, I bet that muscle isolation is gonna win you some medals!