• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Ironslave's training tidbits

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Like don't sway side to side when doing db curls
or don't let your back move period, even the Pro BBers do those mistakes
but they keep gaining, like i said in another thread i got up to 40lb DB curls
now up to 8-10 reps no swaying, or forcing. all the other dudes in the gym
bigger, or just leaner than me, can't do that, they sway and bend their elbows...
sad.

sorry Iron, just had to give my 2 cents buddy

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Haha oh boy, I bet that muscle isolation is gonna win you some medals!

Yes, heaven forbid I not throw my back out doing moderate rep keg hang cleans. :gtfoslap:

Like don't sway side to side when doing db curls
or don't let your back move period, even the Pro BBers do those mistakes
but they keep gaining, like i said in another thread i got up to 40lb DB curls
now up to 8-10 reps no swaying, or forcing. all the other dudes in the gym
bigger, or just leaner than me, can't do that, they sway and bend their elbows...
sad.

sorry Iron, just had to give my 2 cents buddy

I read it three times, I still have no idea what/why you said Hypo! :hsughr:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Jorn, you got smoked!

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
"It doesn't matter how strong your muscles are, it's how you use them" :jerkoff1:

Came across this study, thought it would be very important for members here. Previous studies have indicated the necessity of a functioning IGF-1 receptor in initiating the signaling steps (think of it as a domino effect) which lead to protein synthesis.

However, a new study recently found that increasing the mechanical load was able to still activate this same pathway leading to protein synthesis, even without a functioning IGF1 receptor.

To sum it up, this is just more evidence that the stronger you get in an exercise with good form, the more muscle you will have.

A functional insulin-like growth factor receptor is not necessary for load-induced skeletal muscle hypertrophy.1: J Physiol. 2008 Jan 1;586(Pt 1):283-91. Epub 2007 Nov 1.

Increasing the mechanical load on skeletal muscle results in increased expression of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I), which is thought to be a critical step in the induction of muscle hypertrophy...... These data suggest that increased mechanical load can induce muscle hypertrophy and activate the Akt and p70(s6k) independent of a functioning IGF-I receptor.

A

asdf

^^ But would the level of expression/gains be the same, or is there a enough of an effect that to offset the lack of a functioning IGF-1 receptor only requires changing say loading parameters?

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ But would the level of expression/gains be the same, or is there a enough of an effect that to offset the lack of a functioning IGF-1 receptor only requires changing say loading parameters?

I'm not sure your question? Obviously a functioning IGF1 receptor is certainly advantageous for making gains, but if I'm reading your question correctly, yes, the point is just to show the importance of increased mechanical load has on hypertrophy, and that that increased loading parameters are able to overcome an unfavorable genetic situations.

Mygeeto

Mygeeto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You should definitely drop out of college and support Ron Paul, because like a true politician, you''re awsome at not doing what you claim.

:gtfoslap: :disgust:

F

fahad

hey Ironslave,, whenever i do pulldowns then change to pullups for a few weeks i find that am weeker at the beginning on pull ups from wut i originally left of b4,, but then i become stronger on pullups within the next few weeks....but then when i go back to doing pulldowns i find myself weaker, i mean not as strong as were i left of ya know, and originally am able to do more weight on pulldowns than what my bodyweight is,,and then also within the next few weeks i become stronger on pulldowns again,,,and the vica verca happens...is there any scientific explanation to that, or just any explanation????thx bro....

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
hey Ironslave,, whenever i do pulldowns then change to pullups for a few weeks i find that am weeker at the beginning on pull ups from wut i originally left of b4,, but then i become stronger on pullups within the next few weeks....but then when i go back to doing pulldowns i find myself weaker, i mean not as strong as were i left of ya know, and originally am able to do more weight on pulldowns than what my bodyweight is,,and then also within the next few weeks i become stronger on pulldowns again,,,and the vica verca happens...is there any scientific explanation to that, or just any explanation????thx bro....

Yeah man, thats just motor programming in the brain. Basically your body gets accustomed to the one movement, then when you change it slightly, there will be a short period where it has to "re adjust" to the new movement. There will be little differences in motor unit recruitment and so on.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
F

fahad

Yeah man, thats just motor programming in the brain. Basically your body gets accustomed to the one movement, then when you change it slightly, there will be a short period where it has to "re adjust" to the new movement. There will be little differences in motor unit recruitment and so on.

oh so it has nothing to do with biomechanics,, its just in the brain,,is that wut u mean???

also wut do u think of supersetting the opposite muscle groups like chest and back,, biceps and triceps,, etc... are they good for hypertrophy or cutting,, or they're good for both,,, and could these methods like supersets, gaint sets, trisets etc.. be considered like an aerobic methods mixed with anaerobic and are they good for hypertrophy and fat loss...thx:xyxthumbs:....

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well, I didn't really want this thread to turn into Q & A, but I'll do it for this, lets just try and keep it to a minimum.

oh so it has nothing to do with biomechanics,, its just in the brain,,is that wut u mean???

Why would it be biomechanics? If I understand what you're asking, you do chinips for a few weeks, get stronger in that, then lat pulldowns for a few weeks, get stronger in that, then switch back to chinups, and aren't as strong as you were before you switched? It's just subtle differences in motor signals which affect agonist recruitment, rate coding, motor unit synchronization and so on.

Your question on supersets, that's such an open ended question. With regards to your training Fahad, I would highly recommend that you concentrate on trying to get as strong as you possibly can in a rep range of around 8 reps. For example, if you can bench press 250lbs for a set of 8 reps, and you work your way up to benching 300 lbs for a set of 8, if your nutrition is good, you'll get bigger.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Another quick tip: Sauna's make you HYOOOGE

Hyperthermia in promoting muscle hypertrophy:

Came across a few studies showing the role that acute hyperthermia may have in enhancing muscle hypertrophy. One study put rats in a 41 degrees C environment for one hour every day for two weeks. At the end of the two weeks, the group that had been in the heat environment experienced significant increases in soleus muscle mass from the environment alone! This was due to increase in various genes which are responsible for muscle protein synthesis.

Take home point, do your workout, and hit the sauna after exercise might accelerate your rate of muscle growth.

1) K. Uehara, K. Goto, T. Kobayashi, A. Kojima, T. Akema, T. Sugiura, S. Yamada, Y. Ohira, T. Yoshioka and H. Aoki: “Heat-Stress Enhances Proliferative Potential in Rat Soleus Muscle”, JJP Vol. 54: 263-271, (2004) .

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Since Jorn called me out, here's a practical tip which could be of benefit for accelerating the rate of muscle hypertrophy.

We all know how powerful testosterone is for promoting muscle hypertrophy, as anyone from an IFBB pro bodybuilder (with the possible exception of Gustavo Badell) to an adolescent sitting in middle school english class noticing his voice is getting deeper and his chest is getting thicker.

Testosterone is the main male sex hormone. The thing which holds true for all hormones, is that in order to exert their physiological effects, they must bind to a receptor. In this case, testosterone binds to the androgen receptor (AR).

Most of us know that exercise causes the release of testosterone. Chronic exercisers almost always have increased levels of Androgen Receptors (just like they have bigger muscles. Receptors themselves are proteins too). Interestingly though, despite resistance exercise increasing testosterone release, one (1) study showed that after a workout, content of the androgen receptor had decreased.

In other words, we had an increase in testosterone release, but we weren't able to take full advantage of it. Why? Again, receptors are proteins too, and cortisol release during exercise had caused degradation of the Androgen Receptor.

Eventually, the AR content increased back to normal levels, and beyond. Due to the increased protein synthesis after exercise. But still, we bodybuilders don't want a decreased AR content during the testosterone release caused by exercise.

Solution: A cortisol blocking supplement (Phosphatidylserine comes to mind) would be a great idea before a workout, to help ensure that androgen receptors don't become downregulated during exercise.

Summary: More testosterone + More androgen receptors = more muscle

1) Ratamess NA, Kraemer WJ, Volek JS, et al. Effects of heavy resistance exercise volume on post-exercise androgen receptor content in resistance-trained men. J Steroid Biochem Molec Biol 2005 93: 35-42

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Would something like this be what you're referring to?

And how much of a benefit do you think it would really have?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
IS, for someone with double jointed arms what exercises would help maintaining muscle growth plus while not fucking up the arms or joints even more..
i do perfect from on the workouts that use mostly shoulder and arm movement, which is why i use light to mod weight, but still feel pain in some exercises, besides the weight/form, its also the hand position, , i do reverse pec deck for back delts etc.. and the pain is excruciating even with only 50lbs for both arms together...

PS: my left arm has a winged scapula, while both arms are also double jointed.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Would something like this be what you're referring to?

And how much of a benefit do you think it would really have?

Yes

As for the effects, probably not that much. I dug up one study in the article, it showed that during exercise, control group cortisol levels were ~130 ng/ml, but the group that took 800mg Phosphatidylserine had levels of ~80 ng/ml.

So there is a difference, if you can get some bulk Phosphatidylserine powder for a reasonable price, Id think its worth going for. I googled it and didn't find any stores that sell for what Id call a good price, but I think I can get some from a lab. PM me.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
IS, for someone with double jointed arms what exercises would help maintaining muscle growth plus while not fucking up the arms or joints even more..
i do perfect from on the workouts that use mostly shoulder and arm movement, which is why i use light to mod weight, but still feel pain in some exercises, besides the weight/form, its also the hand position, , i do reverse pec deck for back delts etc.. and the pain is excruciating even with only 50lbs for both arms together...

PS: my left arm has a winged scapula, while both arms are also double jointed.

Technically, nobody is double jointed, just very lax joints. As for the exercises, you're probably your best guide. If the pain is more than manageable, don't do it. Id also ensure sufficient warm up before you go heavy.

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I hear this is also a great cortisol blocker.

Many use it with their PCT

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would highly recommend that you concentrate on trying to get as strong as you possibly can in a rep range of around 8 reps. For example, if you can bench press 250lbs for a set of 8 reps, and you work your way up to benching 300 lbs for a set of 8, if your nutrition is good, you'll get bigger.

thats pretty much the answer for 90% of questions! the training section is bombarded with questions on how to increase your legs,pecs, arms etc, and basically, the answer is get stronger on the basics over a moderate rep range!

repped for truth