• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Leg cramps due to physical stress

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am not really a health buff but in our home, we are aware of exercising so we do it at home or outside whenever possible. Some years ago, my wife had a bike that she used during weekend morning. It was a good way of exercise instead of the stationary bike. But she quit when she started experiencing leg cramps, usually her right leg with a matching bulge like a mouse. Doctors said that the cramps and the bulge are due to physical stress. And when she quit biking, the cramps still appear although not as frequent as before. It’s a good thing that she already knows how to calm the cramps by stretching her leg and massaging it softly.

Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher

I am not really a health buff but in our home, we are aware of exercising so we do it at home or outside whenever possible. Some years ago, my wife had a bike that she used during weekend morning. It was a good way of exercise instead of the stationary bike. But she quit when she started experiencing leg cramps, usually her right leg with a matching bulge like a mouse. Doctors said that the cramps and the bulge are due to physical stress. And when she quit biking, the cramps still appear although not as frequent as before. It’s a good thing that she already knows how to calm the cramps by stretching her leg and massaging it softly.

If I were you I would also have your wife go to the doctor and have her potassium levels checked because low potassium can cause all kinds of serious health problems. And balancing potassium is so serious that too much potassium is fatal. I had low potassium once and I was getting all kinds of leg cramps and tingling and burning in my legs so bad that I ended up going to the emergency room. And after hours of testing, it was low potassium and ever since then I have been on a potassium supplement.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Cramps are usually associated more with magnesium than potassium, and if some bananas don't help, maybe she needs a magnesium supplement.

R

remnant

Banned
Apart from electrolyte imbalance, another suspect that results in cramping is dehydration, so its good to drink water before and during exercise. Then again, most people make the mistake of diving headlong into exercise sessions instead of gradually increasing the intensity after a warm up session.

preacherbob50

preacherbob50

The lack of Calcium, Magnesium, zinc and / or Potassium are generally the mineral culprits involved with cramping, that is, if proper stretching and warm-up before a workout and stretching after a workout is already implemented. Then, if the water intake is good then everything still points back to the minerals I suggested.

Now, if we say, "but I take cal/mag/zinc in a supplement and I eat potassium rich foods and I drink 2 gallons of water each day and I stretch out before my workouts but I still get leg and body cramps" then there's one more thing that nearly everyone forgets about.......vitamin D3.

Vitamin D really isn't a vitamin at all but is closer to an enzyme and moreover a hormone which is responsible for the metabolization of minerals. Just because we get out into the sun a few minutes a day doesn't necessarily mean that we have enough D3 so no matter what, each person should be taking at least 2000 to 3000 IU's of the "vitamin" each day in order to insure the proper usage of their mineral intake.
Nearly all minerals are oil soluble and stored in body fat and can get pretty toxic if they aren't broken down and synthesized, so we have to watch our mineral intake a lot closer than the water soluble vitamins especially ....if our D3 intake is in question.
It's inexpensive, it insures that all of the minerals you take are used and not stored and made useless or moreover made toxic, it's really hard to over dose, and it definitely works...........!!

I realize that my reply probably is best served in the nutrition board but if someone cannot do the physical because of a nutritional mistake then maybe there is some justification for the placement.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No question that it's all pretty much about nutrition, but these days there aren't many who can eat properly.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

I simply have to agree with you on that beciming vitamin D deficient may contribute to cramps. I tried doing some might work for a year and this didn't gave me the sunlight I needed to gain Vitamin D resulting to cramps and shaky hands. The doctor gave me some supplements and all was fine.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'd say that if we want to fight cramps, magnesium is the most important. I've taken ZMA and it really helps!

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

If you're not used to exercising, you can be very well prepared to experience led cramps once in a while. The most annoying and painful one is muscle pull, as I have experienced it couple of times, I know how painful it can be.

As for your wife's leg cramp, I'm sure that a good massage can help fix the problem. She should also take it easy with the working out.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

I suggest to get her a daily dose of Vitamin D. If she is eating healthy and drinking plenty of water and still experience leg cramps, she may have a Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D is what helps the body to absorb calcium properly. Without sufficient vitamin D, the calcium isn’t able to balance fluids in your body. One good source of vitamin D is exposure to the sun. Another great way is to eat seafood. Still, one more way is to take a supplement.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I suggest to get her a daily dose of Vitamin D. If she is eating healthy and drinking plenty of water and still experience leg cramps, she may have a Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D is what helps the body to absorb calcium properly. Without sufficient vitamin D, the calcium isn’t able to balance fluids in your body. One good source of vitamin D is exposure to the sun. Another great way is to eat seafood. Still, one more way is to take a supplement.

You are very correct my friend with that assertion. How did that skip my mind? Getting and taking vitamin D supplements will definitely help out in correcting this leg cramp issue your wife is having. Sea food are good as well because it contains lots of calcium and iron nutrients.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There are many reasons for leg cramps, including wearing the wrong footwear. The wrong size shoe could be a factor because it affects the position of the leg muscles, causing pain and spasms. Also even though you are properly hydrated and rested, overusing your leg muscles can be a problem- it's good to stretch before you exercise as well. Another factor to consider is your body's lack of minerals, such as calcium or iron so this could give you leg cramps also.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There are many reasons for leg cramps, including wearing the wrong footwear. The wrong size shoe could be a factor because it affects the position of the leg muscles, causing pain and spasms. Also even though you are properly hydrated and rested, overusing your leg muscles can be a problem- it's good to stretch before you exercise as well. Another factor to consider is your body's lack of minerals, such as calcium or iron so this could give you leg cramps also.

You have a very good point about some of the things that can cause one leg cramps but the part which you mentioned what I would like to add to as well is always trying to stretch one's body before heading into intense exercise. This will help the body be in shape and the blood in full circulation. It even helps to prevent some unnecessary injuries.