• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Love Handles

thedon

thedon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i've dropped some weight, lot more definition in my legs and upper body...however, my sides still look fatty...i do sit ups, reverse elbow to knee, back extensions, side extensions on the machine...i have a feeling it could be my diet...i have tuna every day on whole wheat at lunch with two cups of yogurt, all bran bars and sometimes i will pack a protein shake...breakfest i have yogurt mixed with all bran....dinner i will always have some meat with veggies, pasta with the meat about 3 times a week...not going to lie, i do have a cheat meal every now and then i'd say every 7-10 days have some pizza or other shit...if anyone has any suggestions on what i could do differently or add somethin it would be greatly appreciated

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Exercises like sit ups and back extensions wont help you getting rid of those love handles. Sport reduction is a myth so it must be your diet. Make sure you eat below maintainance and add some cardio if needed but dont overdo it or you will loose your hard earned muscles.

Bhana

Bhana

HIIT cardio with a good diet= fat loss, have u tried ketosis? works wonders for some people

thedon

thedon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
no i havent tried it..i'll look into it know that you have mentioned it..thanks

CombBoy

CombBoy

About 45 minutes of cardio with abs first thing in the morning, then weight training after work in the evening with 10 minutes of cardio to warm up really worked for me.

Lionheart

Lionheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ive red somewhere that particulary that area with men has dead fat cells which are hard to get rid off ,but i cant be sure about it.I think tim or IS would know better.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
thedon, welcome to the team front double love handles.
I'm also trying to get rid of them...fuckers.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ i think i might be the president :carduindisguise:

thedon

thedon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thedon, welcome to the team front double love handles.
I'm also trying to get rid of them...fuckers.

lol...when is the next meeting?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You will find the most difficulty getting rid of fat/water in your lower back and external oblique regions.

Spot reduction isn't possible, but it's possible to give a like appearance.

Most exercises like crunches, sit ups, leg raises, machine crunches, etc. places workload on the hip flexors, while the core is used for moderate stabilizing. Weird right? So, ab contracting exercises like that I mention will do little without progressive overload or even develpment. Those exercises will cause you to have a "pump" but there is little hypertrophy...which is what exercises in bb are designed for.

Keep training hard.
Keep caloric intake deficient.
Make sure to refeed more frequently as your bf drops.

Can you post your diet for us as well? Usually people need to tune this first.

Good luck dude.

W

wickedgrip

are you an endomorph? due to genetics it tends to be very hard to get rid of love handles if you are, some people will get so caugh up that in the process they lose a crap load of muscle

If you struggle and dont notice a big improvement, maybe you should try to widen your shoulders and lats as much as possible, this will make love handles look way smaller unless they are huge

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ God I hate that term. Endo, ecto and meso somatotypes are slung around like they mean something. They are based on psychology categories and here is how they are determined for body composition:
Am J Phys Anthropol. 1976 Mar;44(2):237-44.
Relationship of body composition to somatotype.
Slaughter MH, Lohman TG.

The purpose of this study is to determine the relationship in college-aged women between somatotype using both Sheldon's ('69) and Heath and Carter's ('67) procedures, and body composition, as measured by whole-body 40K counting and body density. Sheldon's endomorphy is closely associated with height and weight; Heath and Carter's first component is significantly related to weight and body fatness. Lean body mass (LBM) as a weight or as a percent is not closely related to Sheldon's mesomorphy or Heath and Carter's second component. However, when LBM and height are used as independent variables to estimate somatotype, both variables are significantly related to Heath and Carter's second component, accounting for 61% of the variance. Thus Heath and Carter's second component is significantly associated with LBM for a given body height. Most of the variation in Sheldon's ectomorphy and Heath and Carter's third component can be accounted for by weight and height. Sheldon's somatotype for all three components is not as closely related to body composition as Heath-Carter's. Body composition, as measured by either 40K counting or body density, is found to be important in accounting for variation in Heath and Carter's first and second components.
The point being that you can be changing classifications by becoming leaner. So trying to classify yourself as a type is pointless outside of a clinical setting.

As for fat loss, it is dependant on where your body wants to store fat. Regional adipose will be stored according to sex, age, activity level, energy intake and type of activity you do (I'm sure I've missed some). Get leaner and you will generally start to lose BF from some places first and the last stores will also be the first to be replenished (short of metabolic changes).

So take a hard look at your exercise and eating regimes, that is why you have love handles and how to get rid of them.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ you're looking at those terms too technically. they are properly used when describing an individual who is more naturally disposed to being athletic/muscular, heavier/overweight, or skinny/smaller. we're not talking clinical settings here and someone who is lean can still be classified as an endomorph if that is not the body they can maintain naturally (ie just normal living, no extensive excersise or dieting) but they still are perfectly acceptable and telling indicator of a person's body type.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ you're looking at those terms too technically. they are properly used when describing an individual who is more naturally disposed to being athletic/muscular, heavier/overweight, or skinny/smaller. we're not talking clinical settings here and someone who is lean can still be classified as an endomorph if that is not the body they can maintain naturally (ie just normal living, no extensive excersise or dieting) but they still are perfectly acceptable and telling indicator of a person's body type.

I gota agree with Tim on this one. Your body type really just depends on calories in, calories out. I know a lot of people who are fat say they don't eat much. But, the more fat you store the more efficient your body becomes at storing fat.

As to the original poster, I agree with most others, just keep hitting the cardio and keeping your cals restricted.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Actually I think people take the terms too distinctly. The terms themselves can't really be applied in the ways that people use them, which is why I don't like them.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Getting rid of love handles has nothing to do with somatotype.

How does your body become more efficient at storing white fat? The more fat cells/triglycerides one holds, the more insulin resistant you become and receptivity is decreased. (is this what you're referring to TJ?) If so, I agree.

Regional body fart has little if no correspondence to activity level nor age. If in an unsteady caloric surplus without exercise, you will store fat, where you store it is dependent on the person. This is too individualized to get into specifics.

I agree with Duality.

Somatotypes are a generalization, nothing the average person should rely on when dieting. It usually refers to ones natural state and caloric/energy requirements. Saying that it's useless, especially in the bodybuilding world is ridiculous. Body types change, but how one goes about this is why there's classification.

Actually I think people take the terms too distinctly. The terms themselves can't really be applied in the ways that people use them, which is why I don't like them.

This I agree with.

People use the terms more as an excuse rather than a body type classification.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
KM for "respected"

I agree :xyxthumbs:

As for the terms Ectomorph, Endomorph and Mesomorph I agree with Duality and Tim. Yes, they are used too distinctly but they do describe the "body type" that individuals are pre-disposed to. However, this is also due to diet and training along with your genetic make up. I think it should be a way for an individual to help them outline their diet and training based off their genetic body type described by those terms.

The Don, to your question.. everyone gave great advice. No matter how many crunches you do they will not get rid of love handles. Any studies that supported site lipolysis were so minuscule that it doesn't have any noticeable effect. The correct diet and amount of cardio will help you get rid of those love handles. However, that area is usually difficult to lose. It is usually the last thing to go for even competitive bodybuilders at the end of their diet. You may never fully lose them if you have them naturally no matter what you do. But you can do your best and get them to "lean up" as much as possible. There are several types of diets you can try so I suggest you do your research or PM The_KM and I am sure he can give you an excellent regimen. :tiphat:

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I gota agree with Tim on this one. Your body type really just depends on calories in, calories out. I know a lot of people who are fat say they don't eat much. But, the more fat you store the more efficient your body becomes at storing fat.

As to the original poster, I agree with most others, just keep hitting the cardio and keeping your cals restricted.

yes true, i am not saying these somatypes are completely definitive in classifying people and they are in no way an excuse as some tend to use them (mainly endomorphs, those fatties :disgust:). i am only alluding to the predispostion some undeniably have in storage of bodyfat, atheltic ability, and so on. they are a decent description of an individual in this regard.

some people can down 5,000 cals a day and have trouble breaking 200lbs, some only put down 2500 and workout daily and still have trouble dropping weight, this is where the classifications have some merit.

Originally posted by The KM
Regional body fart has little if no correspondence to activity level nor age.

you silly man farting isn't influenced by age :wutyousay:

lol good post