• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

Massage after exercise impairs blood flow

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
4,104
Points
38
http://qnc.queensu.ca/story_loader.php?id=4a01a1eab47e8


Massage after exercise myth busted by Queen’s research team
Massage actually impairs blood flow to the muscle after exercise

Kingston, ON – A Queen’s University research team has blown open the myth that massage after exercise improves circulation to the muscle and assists in the removal of lactic acid and other waste products.

“This dispels a common belief in the general public about the way in which massage is beneficial,” says Kinesiology and Health Studies professor Michael Tschakovsky. “It also dispels that belief among people in the physical therapy profession. All the physical therapy professionals that I have talked to, when asked what massage does, answer that it improves muscle blood flow and helps get rid of lactic acid. Ours is the first study to challenge this and rigorously test its validity.”

The belief that massage aids in the removal of lactic acid from muscle tissue is so pervasive it is even listed on the Canadian Sports Massage Therapists website as one of the benefits of massage, despite there being absolutely no scientific research to back this up.

Kinesiology MSc candidate Vicky Wiltshire and Dr. Tschakovsky set out to discover if this untested hypothesis was true, and their results show that massage actually impairs blood flow to the muscle after exercise, and that it therefore also impairs the removal of lactic acid from muscle after exercise.

This study will be presented at the annual American College of Sports Medicine conference in Seattle, Washington May 27-30, 2009
 
Adam23

Adam23

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
5,621
Points
38
good find !!!

thanks for sharing Ironslave :tiphat:
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
This is going to be interesting!

I know a lot of athletes get rub downs in-game and this could change the way they use them...... in maybe ten years (you see athletes still static stretch like mad before during and after games).
 
The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 29, 2006
Messages
2,487
Points
38
I know it increases blood flow to some "muscles"...
 
sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
4,013
Points
38
Interesting.

Remember how Lee Haney used to rub his biceps between sets?
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
^^ Not even I'm that old.
 
Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
3,424
Points
38
the little "in" crowd here at mm taking constant shots at a guy like sexnews who really does add to the site is one of the reasons this place has been slowing down.

here i'll say it so you guys stop. you're all so cool, now please stop bullying a good member.



edit: this may seem unwarranted since there's really not much of that in this thread, but sexnews seems to be the brunt of all the "cool kids'" jokes and insults around here
 
Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
3,040
Points
38
^^ It was a joke, Duality. Nothing more than that and MM are full of them and always has been.
 

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
4,104
Points
38
the little "in" crowd here at mm taking constant shots at a guy like sexnews who really does add to the site is one of the reasons this place has been slowing down.

here i'll say it so you guys stop. you're all so cool, now please stop bullying a good member.



edit: this may seem unwarranted since there's really not much of that in this thread, but sexnews seems to be the brunt of all the "cool kids'" jokes and insults around here


Huh? sexnews is becoming more and more of a valuable member lately (at a time when the opposite is typically occuring).....

.... it's not like we said he's as old as Freakzilla or anything, we're not that mean....
 
D

Delusion

Active member
Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
39
Points
6
Thx a lot for the arcticle. I'm studying to become a Physiotherapist, so I'll be bringing this arcticle to my teachers on monday :p. Never been a fan of passive treatment methods anyways, so great news. Believe the future of massage in sports, if any, will be from laser massage, which has been proven in tests to be accelarating the natural healing process after after injuries etc.
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
^^ It was a joke, Duality. Nothing more than that and MM are full of them and always has been.

Yes. It was a friendly comment/joke. If I was trying to be insulting I would have made it a nasty comment.
 
sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
4,013
Points
38
Huh? sexnews is becoming more and more of a valuable member lately (at a time when the opposite is typically occuring)

Thanx for the kind words! (maybe you just feel that way because I don't post in the politics threads anymore?) :keke:
 
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
4,104
Points
38
Thanx for the kind words! (maybe you just feel that way because I don't post in the politics threads anymore?) :keke:

Posting in the politics section is fine, just try and keep the religious stereotypes to a minimum.
 

Similar threads

keeptough22
Replies
0
Views
282
keeptough22
keeptough22
Regan Grimes Feed
Replies
0
Views
138
Regan Grimes Feed
Regan Grimes Feed
FrenzyMaster
Replies
0
Views
257
FrenzyMaster
FrenzyMaster
Top