• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

MuscleMecca's Top 20 Best Backs ever

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
But when it comes to shape and flow, I agree, a tad....

Look at Ray compared to Yates in this one.

Attachments

• Ashay.jpg
    Ashay.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 98
Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Not impressed with Yates????

unfortunately, no.. he was a great bodybuilder but like Cutler he is way over hyped. He should have only won the Mr. O in 93', maybe 92' but Wheeler could have taken if from him with not many complaints.

i just don't see how u can overlook Yates and put him at #5 considering how much he dominates everyone else in front of him......Yates can easily be considered and is considered by many ppl as having the Best Back ever, i explained my reason why I did not have him #1 on my list even though he can easily be placed there with out much argument

I don't thing that he dominates anyone on that list actually, I think his rep influenced my choice for him to be on my list more than anything. It's all preference, I do not like Yates as a bodybuilder much and that includes his back.
Using the fact that many consider his back one of the greatest is a bad argument because many people consider Cutler one of the greatest bbs of all time, and that is not true :49:
Also, you made the right decision because Coleman destroys Yates from behind, the only thing Yates has on Coleman from any rear shot is calves. That is it, period.

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
1 ronnie
2 vic
3 stubbs
4 yates
5 wheeler
6 haney
7 shawn ray
8 kai
9 columbo
10 benaziza

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
unfortunately, no.. he was a great bodybuilder but like Cutler he is way over hyped. He should have only won the Mr. O in 93', maybe 92' but Wheeler could have taken if from him with not many complaints.

I don't thing that he dominates anyone on that list actually, I think his rep influenced my choice for him to be on my list more than anything. It's all preference, I do not like Yates as a bodybuilder much and that includes his back.
Using the fact that many consider his back one of the greatest is a bad argument because many people consider Cutler one of the greatest bbs of all time, and that is not true :49:
Also, you made the right decision because Coleman destroys Yates from behind, the only thing Yates has on Coleman from any rear shot is calves. That is it, period.

i think the judging for this is who had the best back at the apex of their career, correct? that would easily put yates at #2 with the back he displayed (and overall physique) in '93. i mean ronnies back seriously deteiorated in 06 but were not marking him down for it. you have to judge each athlete at their best, and at his best, yates was fucking untouchable, he was unreal in some years and is a solid #2. yates was overhyped towards the end of his career, but he well deserved the hype when he was winning his first couple O's

Iceman1981

Iceman1981

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Not impressed with Yates????

Yates had an awesome physique in 92 and 93, but when he tore his left bicep in 94, then his physique started to as Braaq said "not flow" as well.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Gentlemen.....

I never said Yates should've won all his Olympias, or was the best ever. I do agree he had his problems, and definately question at least half of his wins.

That being said, I do think he had an impressive back. Certainly better than most of his competitors at the time. (although not all of them)

I often marvel at Banout's backs development. This shot always amazes me.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 103
Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i think the judging for this is who had the best back at the apex of their career, correct? that would easily put yates at #2 with the back he displayed (and overall physique) in '93. i mean ronnies back seriously deteiorated in 06 but were not marking him down for it. you have to judge each athlete at their best, and at his best, yates was fucking untouchable, he was unreal in some years and is a solid #2. yates was overhyped towards the end of his career, but he well deserved the hype when he was winning his first couple O's

He had a great back, but to say it could be Ronnie's is laughable. And of course we are comparing the best backs of all time, that clearly means them at their best. And still, my opinion, is that even at his best he has a great back but definitely not the best.. it looked like it disappeared below his traps in his rear double bicep.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I often marvel at Banout's backs development. This shot always amazes me.

I agree, that shot still amazes me too.. that back is what won him the Mr O.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Samir's back is incredible in every aspect.
As far as the Yates/Coleman debate goes, I think Yates has a great shape to his back double bi and rear lat but his lines arent as deep cut as Coleman's. His V-taper and symmetry in his back muscles is great but the shear size of the muscles in Colemans back combined with his great conditioning just cant be touched.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Like I've been saying, I know Yates had his problems.

But, ya gotta give him respect.......

(Better than Jay, IMHO)

Attachments

• yates_12.jpg
    yates_12.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 90

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Like I've been saying, I know Yates had his problems.

But, ya gotta give him respect.......

(Better than Jay, IMHO)

Yes, he was a great bodybuilder. Not as great as he was made out to be, but around 93' he was unstoppable after that every win was controversial.

And of course his back is better than Jay's, I think Jay's back is wide but those folds and lack of separation he definitely did not make my list. Yates still did, Turk just disagreed with the placing I put him in. :e5dunno:

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
He had a great back, but to say it could be Ronnie's is laughable. And of course we are comparing the best backs of all time, that clearly means them at their best. And still, my opinion, is that even at his best he has a great back but definitely not the best.. it looked like it disappeared below his traps in his rear double bicep.

i didn't say it could beat ronnie's.:dunnodude: you should know i think ronnie easily takes this list.

i think yates and wheeler are interchangeable on this list at 2nd and 3rd. either you like the crazy diesel size and condition of yates, or you like the beautiful deep lines of wheeler. but there is no way yates is lower than 3rd.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
yates had a really incredible back! wheeler has no chance next to him..

I

iglooliver

Banned
i mean see pics till i have 10 posts