• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Muscletech in Science

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was interested in this supposed multi-million dollar research budget and what it actually gets spent on. So being bored and hungover I decided to do a quick search on Google scholar. Below are the studies that I have found. The rest were usually patent applications for the individual ingredients; all of which make for surprisingly boring reading (who the hell patents the creatine dosage they put in a supplement??)

Concentrations of Ephedra Alkaloids and Caffeine in Commercial Dietary Supplements
Authors: Haller C.A.1; Duan M.1; Benowitz N.L.1; Jacob III P.1

Source: Journal of Analytical Toxicology, Volume 28, Number 3, April 2004 , pp. 145-151(7)
Abstract:

Dietary supplements that contain Ma Huang (ephedra alkaloids) and guarana (caffeine) are widely marketed and used in the U.S. for weight loss and athletic performance enhancement, despite a lack of adequate research on the pharmacology of these botanical stimulants. We developed and applied a novel liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry (LC–MS–MS) method to quantitate the various ephedra alkaloids found in dietary supplements that contain Ephedra species. The quantities of ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, norephedrine, norpseudoephedrine, methylephedine, methylpseudoephedrine, and caffeine were determined for 35 commercial dietary supplements and compared with the amounts listed on the product labels. The total ephedra alkaloid content ranged from 5.97 mg to 29.3 mg per serving. Two supplement brands did not list the quantity of ephedra alkaloids on the label, and four did not list the amount of caffeine per serving. Of the products tested, 31% contained > 110% of the total ephedra alkaloids listed on the label, and 6% of the supplements contained < 90% of the listed amount. For caffeine, 86% of the product lots that listed the caffeine amount contained less than 90% of the labeled quantity. No products contained > 110% of the declared caffeine content. The total ephedra alkaloid content varied significantly from lot to lot in 5 of 9 products. Three product brands contained proportions of alkaloids that exceeded amounts reported for E. sinica, including one that was 98% ephedrine, one that had 10% norpseudoephedrine, and one that contained an average of 13% methylephedrine. We conclude that product inconsistency is common among some commercially available dietary supplements that contain ephedra alkaloids and caffeine.
This one is they gave a couple of travel grants to, not anything else as far as I can see.
Simple skinfold-thickness measurements complement conventional anthropometric assessments in predicting glucose tolerance1,2,3
John L Sievenpiper, David JA Jenkins, Robert G Josse, Lawrence A Leiter and Vladimir Vuksan
1 From the Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto and the Clinical Nutrition and Risk Factor Modification Centre, and the Division of Metabolism and Endocrinology, St Michael's Hospital, Toronto.

Background: Skinfold-thickness measurements are considered to have limited clinical utility.

Objective: To assess whether skinfold-thickness measurements may be a useful adjunct to conventional anthropometric assessments in predicting glucose and insulin regulation, we studied responses to replicate 75-g oral-glucose-tolerance tests (OGTTs) and performed simple anthropometry in a cross section of subjects.

Design: Thirty-five subjects completed the study: 11 lean [mean (±SEM) age: 33 ± 3.2 y; body mass index (BMI; in kg/m2): 24.1 ± 0.8; and percentage body fat (%BF): 11.5 ± 1.5%], 12 normal-weight (age: 33 ± 2.9 y; BMI: 23.9 ± 0.7; and %BF: 24.3.5 ± 1.3%), and 12 obese (age: 41 ± 4.5 y; BMI: 34.5 ± 1.7; and %BF: 34.2 ± 1.5%) individuals. The lean and normal-weight groups were selected to have similar BMIs but different %BFs. We measured the participants' heights, weights, %BFs, waist circumferences, hip circumferences, and truncal and peripheral skinfold thicknesses. Subjects received nine 75-g OGTTs and blood samples were collected at 0, 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, and 120 min. Mean plasma glucose and insulin values were used to calculate the insulin sensitivity index.

Results: The obese group had higher plasma glucose concentrations and areas under the curve (AUCs) than did the normal-weight or lean group and higher plasma insulin concentrations and AUCs than did the lean group (P < 0.05). Stepwise multiple regression, with adjustment for demographic and anthropometric measurements, identified the following predictors: waist circumference, peripheral skinfold thickness, and BMI for fasting plasma glucose (partial R2 = 0.20, 0.13, and 0.13, P < 0.05); waist circumference and truncal skinfold thickness for plasma glucose AUC (partial R2 = 0.20 and 0.13, P < 0.05); age, waist-to-hip ratio, and peripheral skinfold thickness for fasting plasma insulin (partial R2 = 0.26, 0.22, and 0.15, P < 0.05); truncal skinfold thickness for plasma insulin AUC (partial R2 = 0.41, P < 0.001); and peripheral skinfold thickness for both 2-h plasma glucose (partial R2 = 0.59, P < 0.001) and the insulin sensitivity index (partial R2 = 0.49, P < 0.001).

Conclusion: Skinfold-thickness measurements may complement other established measurements for predicting abnormal glucose and insulin regulation.

Key Words: Glycemia • insulinemia • oral-glucose-tolerance test • anthropometry • body composition • skinfold thickness

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Seizure Activity and Unresponsiveness after Hydroxycut Ingestion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author(s): Denise R. Kockler, Pharm.D. 1 | Michelle W. McCarthy, Pharm.D. 2 | Cathy L. Lawson, Pharm.D. 3
Volume: 21 | Issue: 5
Cover date: May 2001
Page(s): 647-651

Hydroxycut, seizure, unresponsiveness

Abstract

A 22-year-old man was hospitalized after unexplained seizure-like activity and unresponsiveness. A urine toxicology screen was negative for salicylates, acetaminophen, alcohol, and drugs of abuse. Medical history was insignificant with the exception of recent (within 2 wks) ingestion of Hydroxycut, a dietary supplement purported to be energy enhancing, muscle building, and fat burning. The agent contains ephedra alkaloids and caffeine, which are both central nervous system stimulants; the etiology of seizure was attributed to their consumption. Due to a significant number of reported adverse events, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) proposed regulations for dietary supplements containing ephedra alkaloids and requested an independent review of case reports linked to these products. Because herbal products are not subject to the same rigorous FDA regulations required for prescription and over-the-counter products, consumers unknowingly risk adverse effects when taking these products. Questioning patients about consumption of herbal products should be part of routine medical visits.

Author(s): Denise R. Kockler, Pharm.D. 1 | Michelle W. McCarthy, Pharm.D. 2 | Cathy L. Lawson, Pharm.D. 3
Author(s) affiliations

1. Department of Pharmacy Services, Drug Information Center, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia.
Address reprint requests to Denise R. Kockler, Pharm.D., Department of Pharmacy Services, University of Virginia Health System, P.O. Box 800674, Charlottesville, VA 22908-0674.
2. Department of Pharmacy Services, Drug Information Center, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia.
3. CVS/Pharmacy, Woonsocket, Rhode Island.
Apparently this was talking about "This is equal to twice the manufacture’s recommended dosage (MuscleTech Research & Development, Inc., Mississauga, ON)." for their product.......
Effects of norandrostenedione and norandrostenediol in resistance-trained men .
Nutrition , Volume 18 , Issue 9 , Pages 734 - 737
D . Van Gammeren
Abstract
The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of norsteroid supplementation (224 mg of 19-nor-4-androstene-3,17-dione and 120 mg of 19-nor-4-androstene-3,17-diol, total daily DOSE = 344 mg) on body composition and strength in resistance-trained men.

In a placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized fashion, 10 subjects received the norsteroid (11 capsules containing a combination of both norsteroids) or a placebo for 8 wk (five subjects per group). Each subject participated in resistance training an average of 4 d/wk for the duration of the study. Body composition was determined via dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry. Strength was determined using a one-repetition maximum bench press and a one-repetition maximum biceps curl.

With regard to all measures in both groups, there were no significant changes between before and after the study.

Therefore, in this small sample of resistance-trained men, 344 mg/d of norsteroid supplementation had no effect on strength or body composition.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This one is a study they funded and I think was carried out at their labs (not sure on the last point....)
Acute and moderate-term creatine monohydrate supplementation does not affect creatine transporter mRNA or protein content in either young or elderly humans
Journal Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry
Publisher Springer Netherlands
ISSN 0300-8177 (Print) 1573-4919 (Online)
Issue Volume 244, Numbers 1-2 / February, 2003
DOI 10.1023/A:1022447604792
Pages 159-166
Subject Collection Biomedical and Life Sciences
SpringerLink Date Monday, November 01, 2004

Acute and moderate-term creatine monohydrate supplementation does not affect creatine transporter mRNA or protein content in either young or elderly humans
Mark Tarnopolsky1 , Gianni Parise2, Min-H Fu Surname3, Andrea Brose2, Andrew Prasad3, Oliver Speer4 and Theo Wallimann4

(1) Department of Medicine (Neurology and Rehabilitation), Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, 1200 Main St. W., Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
(2) Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, 1200 Main St. W., Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
(3) Department of Medicine (Neurology and Rehabilitation), McMaster University, 1200 Main St. W., Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
(4) Institute of Cell Biology (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology), Hoenggerberg, Zurich, Switzerland

Abstract Animal studies have shown that supra-physiological creatine monohydrate (Cr-mH) supplementation for 3 months reduced skeletal muscle creatine transporter (CRT) content. The doses of Cr-mH (1–2 g/kg/day) used in these studies were between 5 and 10 times those usually used in human studies, and it is unclear whether a down-regulation of CRT would occur in humans at the recommended doses of 0.1–0.2 g/kg/day. We measured CRT, and citrate synthase (CS) protein content using Western blotting before and after 2 months of Cr-mH supplementation and weight training in young men (N = 11 Cr-mH (0.125 g/kg/day); N = 8 placebo). CRT and CS were also measured before and after 4 months of Cr-mH supplementation and weight training in elderly (> 65 years) men and women (N = 14 Cr-mH (0.075 g/kg/day); N = 14 placebo). Finally, CRT mRNA was measured using competitive RT-PCR before and after 8–9 days of Cr-mH loading in young men and women (N = 14, CR-mH (mean = 0.18 g/kg/day); N = 13, PL). Total creatine content was significantly elevated after the Cr-mH supplementation period as compared to placebo in each of the studies. Neither Cr-mH supplementation, nor exercise training resulted in measurable alterations in CRT protein content and acute Cr-mH loading did not alter CRT mRNA. There were no gender differences in CRT mRNA or total creatine content in the young subjects and no gender differences in total creatine content or CRT protein content in the elderly subjects. Weight training in young men did not increase CS protein content, however, in the elderly there was a significant increase in CS protein content after exercise training (p < 0.05). These results demonstrated that Cr-mH supplementation during weight training resulted in increases in skeletal muscle total creatine without reductions in CRT protein and acute Cr-mH loading did not decrease CRT mRNA content.
I don't know whether this is really conclusive proof of their R&D program...... I was also expecting to find their Nitro-tech claims somewhere. If they aren't published it then means that the data is either not robust enough to pass the peer review process or they are afraid to publish for fear of imitators....... (yeh right).

Anyone want to add to the list?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim said:
I don't know whether this is really conclusive proof of their R&D program...... I was also expecting to find their Nitro-tech claims somewhere. If they aren't published it then means that the data is either not robust enough to pass the peer review process or they are afraid to publish for fear of imitators....... (yeh right).

Anyone want to add to the list?
So no-one has found any other articles?

Well I guess that means that MuscleTech don't really have this massive research budget doing any real nutrition science then. Guess their ads must all be bullshit.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
OF course they are BS.

but its fun to show off in the gym.
opening my duffle bag, taking out my tub of Anabolic Halo and
people looking at it like "oooOOoooo"

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ So they could stop spending all the money on "research" and just advertise about how hardcore they are. All they need is just the big guys looking big and tough. And maybe some more patents on the number of grams of creatine in their mix.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ sadly yes. i was trying to be sarcastic, im not like that. but in the gym here and there i seen people showing off their supps, just like that...
i guess its also to show you got lots of money?....

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I realised you were being facetitous; don't worry.

I remember reading something when I first started to take training seriously: Do the oposite of what everyone talks about. The article was a little more complicated than that of course but the sentiment holds very true. Most people worry about what exercises, what supplement, what straps, etc, however what you really need to worry about is training hard, eating food, and getting stronger. So I was very anti-supplement for the first half of my training life as most people don't want to talk about lifting hard and eating right, they want to talk about how much you bench and what protein supplement you take.

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^truth, first question out of everyones mouth is how much you lift? im like lift what? deadlift? ...naw bench.....

then people who do workout always ask what supps you take.
im like chicken, protein powder and poptarts :wutyousay:

and no i havent found any other articles

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ I had some co-worker ask me how much i bench
i swear its annoying.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff