• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Question

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am a little confused. What actually makes a quad sweep. I thought it was insertion points, but if you look at Dennis Wolf, his long quad doesn't come down far, but his quad sweep is amazing. However, when you look at Kai's phenomenal wheels, they go way down there, but the sweep isn't so great. I don't get it. Both guys have thick quads, but the sweeps are different. Members on this site with nice sweeps that I can think of off the bat are Braaq and Bulkboy(for examples).

Oh and this is random, but if you guys go pick up the latest MD, I'm in there on Branch Warren's page. Lol I started reading the first question and knew it looked familiar, and was like "holy crap."my question is in MD MAG, crazy! Anyway, if you wanna see Branch make a total fool out of me check it out. He pretty much calls me a dumbass haha.

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
im insulted that you didnt mention my name along with braaq's and Bulkboys with great sweeps

:no:

negged repped! :no:
JK :keke:, still hurt tho :tear:

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
overall muscle development aka mass. Either you have it or you don't :e5dunno:

pauldemayo8-1.jpg

PaulDeMayo-1.jpg

TreyBrewermoC007-1.jpg

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
forgot about dridz..sorry bud..you do have great sweaps. those were the only two off the top of my head lol. I have a long leg, the sweap is ight, I was just curious like when people say they need to work on their "sweap"how in the world can you work on the shape of the leg muscle. I guess it is just crazy leg mass.

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thats okay buddy :keke:
dont u forget my name again :gaygay:

maybe try doing a different stand when sqautin / hack squats

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
smith squats with narrow stance and hack squats worked pretty good for me :)

...and Dridderz will be the next Demayo imo :ughnoes:

MetalMX

MetalMX

Narrow stance hits the quads better. The wider the stance the more the focus goes away from the quads and more towards the hamstrings and glutes. Shorter individuals are built for the squat whereas taller individuals won't really get good leg development from squatting only and need a lot more isolation work such as leg extensions, leg curls and abductor work to build good legs.

In regards to your question it depends on genetics and insertion points but as Tweak said its mostly about Mass you got it or you don't.

Heres a tip for more quad sweep: When you do leg extensions on the top part of the exercise at lockout point your toes inward and really squeeze your quads. You'll really feel the isolation in your Vastus lateralis (Outer quad)

:coolguy:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Narrow stance hits the quads better. The wider the stance the more the focus goes away from the quads and more towards the hamstrings and glutes. Shorter individuals are built for the squat whereas taller individuals won't really get good leg development from squatting only and need a lot more isolation work such as leg extensions, leg curls and abductor work to build good legs.
All this is a little off. If your stance goes wider than 1.2x shoulder width then you start to have different levels of recruitment of the glutes and hamstrings, but that also depends on body position and limb length.

The second point on needing isolation work is nigh on wrong. Limb length will denote the leverages and ease of mobility. But the fact remains that taller people can and should still squat but are likely to have to get better mobility. Proportions of limbs is more the issue not height. The crappy leg ext and abductor thingy should never be needed in a well constructed leg program.
In regards to your question it depends on genetics and insertion points but as Tweak said its mostly about Mass you got it or you don't.
Yes mass and insertions are the reason for it. But also muscle belly length. There is very little you can do to change the shape of your legs short of minor alterations.
Heres a tip for more quad sweep: When you do leg extensions on the top part of the exercise at lockout point your toes inward and really squeeze your quads. You'll really feel the isolation in your Vastus lateralis (Outer quad):coolguy:
:jerkoff1: Wouldn't be relying on this for anything other than activation of the muscle head if you have an imbalance between VL and VM. You are only changing the recruitement pattern by something like 20% so it won't aid in building stuff all in a minor exercise. As an activation exercise it can be good prior to a real exercise like squats. But leg extension suck ballz if you like your knees.

MetalMX

MetalMX

You always need isolation work for anybody part in my opinion particularly legs if you want optimal development... yes u can build big slabs of meat with the squat but the isolation exercises are their to target different portions of your wheels the squats won't hit. I'm 6"3 squatting has sucked balls for adding size to my legs. Now since i've been doing leg extensions, leg press both normal and incline and more general isolation work the mass began to pile on. Not saying tall people shouldn't squat just saying it shouldn't be the main exercise for mass.

IMO Leg presses are better for tall individuals than squats for adding size to the legs. Their was a study i read about this being true i have to find it and post it up too lazy at the moment.

That last tip worked great for me... and i only use leg extensions as a warmup for my knee joints as well as a finishing move after my main quad exercises.

tim290280 where is Merredin?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wow thanks guys. Metal and Tim, I agree with tons of what both of you said. I agree with Tim in that ,yea it is mass, but the insertion points decide where your mass can be packed on. I never squat narrow, maaybe I should start though, nice position tips guys. It's funny how leg extensions warmup your knees but can also hurt them lol. Yea Dave Palumbo even said that people with longer limbs (arms,legs) respond really well with isolation movements and etc. How do you think Palumbo's legs and arms got so big? Hes got funky long limbs