• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

REVERSE SHOULDER PRESS???

F

fahad

hey guys if u noticed that jay cutler and phil heath do this exercise where u basically set in a reverse position on a shoulder press machine where ur stomch is leaned against the pad instead of ur back...I have seen many do these at the gym,,, but am wondering which part of the delt they hit the most??? cuz i heared some guy say they hit mostly the front delt,,, but i feel it mostly in the medial delt...it doesnt make u handle alot of weight but it gives a good pump IMO... does anyone here does them??and which part of the delt do u feel they hit the most???

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
It hits the front the most. To hit the medial head more all you have to do is change your grip.
Put your thumbs under and parallel with the bar instead for around the bar. Then the medial head gets the most stress instead of the front.

If I find myself doing a shoulder press in a machine like you are describing I would also do it reversed

F

fahad

It hits the front the most. To hit the medial head more all you have to do is change your grip.
Put your thumbs under and parallel with the bar instead for around the bar. Then the medial head gets the most stress instead of the front.

If I find myself doing a shoulder press in a machine like you are describing I would also do it reversed

are u talking about the same one as I am.... that one am talking about can be seen here
isn't that more for the medial delt???and wuts the difference between this position and the regular seated position where u set with ur back against the pad..thx.....

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Well yeah, that machine puts a little more stress on the medial delt, but you can do that by just pressing behind your head in a normal smith and with the thumbs under the bar.

Its just a different angly of attack in that machine

F

fahad

thats wut i thought...i also have done it on a regular vertical shoulder press machine seated reversed and i also feel it big time in the medial head more...thx anyways....

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Fahad, whatever difference it may make it so minor it's not even worth discussing.

Here's what you do, do the exercise with your weight, lets say you do 225 for 10 reps. The next workout, add plate mates to each side (you should own these) and try to get 10 reps again. Keep a journal that keeps track of your weight, this is a MUST.

Over the year, if you go from doing 225lbs for 10 reps, to 255lbs for 10 reps, your shoulders will be bigger.

Plate mates:

F

fahad

thx for ur input ironslave....

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The only real difference I have seen from doing that is the motion goes from a normal in front shoulder press, to acting as a behind the neck shoulder press. :e5dunno: \
Like IS said, the difference is trivial and not worth posting about. Give it a try, all shoulder presses are compound exercises. Meaning the train the entire deltoid muscle group including other secondary muscles. Obviously your anterior deltoid get worked the most in any press.

A

asdf

I'd be really impressed if anyone can isolate or even emphasise the medial deltoid of the shoulder.

Hell if someone can show me a medial deltoid I'll be impressed.

Medial = toward the midline of the body
Lateral = away from the midline of the body

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
F

fahad

I'd be really impressed if anyone can isolate or even emphasise the medial deltoid of the shoulder.

Hell if someone can show me a medial deltoid I'll be impressed.

Medial = toward the midline of the body
Lateral = away from the midline of the body

I meant Lateral Deltoid.

and it's true that u can't contract or isolate only one part of a muscle group,,, but IMO u can hit more certain fibers of a muscle group with different exercise and angles...

F

fahad

otherwise then why would most of us do different exercises for each bodypart, and not just stick to one??? think about it!!!