• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tim's Journeyman Log

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
PV: They felt better doing them this way. Really popped them. Going to keep doing the 5 sets above 80% but not all at the same weight.

Miami: 140kg is the goal for sometime soon. I'm guessing it will take about 4 weeks, maybe 6.

Tonight I did speed work on upper body. I think I got the floor presses too light and the chins about right. I was afraid the chins were too heavy so I went a bit lighter on the presses. Oh well, first time I've ever done floor presses.

Snatch - always fast
20kg x5
40kg x5
60kg x2
65kg x1

Snatch Jerks - always fast
65kg x2 8 sets

Chins - fast as possible
30kg x2 8 sets

Floor Presses - fast but felt a little slow and light
75kg x2 8 sets

Thick bar DB rows
30kg x15
30kg x15

Pushups
20kg x15
20kg x12

DB curls
15kg x12
15kg x12

Plate tricep OH ext
20kg x15
20kg x12

DB lateral raise
15kg x8
15kg x8

Thick bar hangs
60 sec
30 sec

Soundtrack:

I was listening to the longer version of course.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
If your speed press feels a bit slow then it isn't too light. Keep on hammering away til you're creating enough force to make it a speed press.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I'm not sure I explained clearly.

The felt slow in comparison to my chins and jerks. I think that it was the short ROM so you are catching/stopping at the top almost at the same moment as starting. So it didn't feel like they had long enough to really get moving.

Next time I'll go through a range of weights and just see, may video it (although it has been too dark to do that lately) to check speed or each.

On a different note; woke up this morning and my ribs are sore and my knee hurts again. Spent the day on the road and slept on a really hard hotel mattress. Almost feel back to where I was last week.

I also dropped by my old hardcore gym last night. :crymeariver: It has become a "Fitness Centre"!!!! :crymeariver: They still have some of the squat racks and big DB's but that has been marginalised a bit. The new owner is a former BBer and PLer so he has got a section for that, but the rest is pure chrome and fern.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice session man! and damn that gym owner!

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I'm not sure I explained clearly.

The felt slow in comparison to my chins and jerks. I think that it was the short ROM so you are catching/stopping at the top almost at the same moment as starting. So it didn't feel like they had long enough to really get moving.

Next time I'll go through a range of weights and just see, may video it (although it has been too dark to do that lately) to check speed or each.

On a different note; woke up this morning and my ribs are sore and my knee hurts again. Spent the day on the road and slept on a really hard hotel mattress. Almost feel back to where I was last week.

I also dropped by my old hardcore gym last night. :crymeariver: It has become a "Fitness Centre"!!!! :crymeariver: They still have some of the squat racks and big DB's but that has been marginalised a bit. The new owner is a former BBer and PLer so he has got a section for that, but the rest is pure chrome and fern.

Aaaah the pussyfication goes on! Not much hardcore gyms keft these days. Sad to hear your sore again. Might be a good plan to take a week off and do some walking/bike or something else as long as it is not to intense so you can get a propper "active" rest so your injury's may heal better.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Awesome work bro.glad to see this volume

Glex

Glex

Diet cat says no spoon 4u
VIP
DB lateral raise
15kg x8
15kg x8
Tim :bitenails: Weren't you the one chastising Line and I for doing these? What gives? :hsughr:

Sorry to hear you're all stiff and that your gym became a fitness center :tear:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Glex is back :turborun:

Yes, Yes I was.

The lateral raise I'm doing isn't a standard raise and is more about activating the lateral deltoid during presses.

edit: although I just noticed that I didn't put the small exercises in the order that I did them. I usually superset exercises, especially activation work. The reason it was 15kg is because that is what I was using for biceps during the floor presses.

Glex

Glex

VIP
Hmm...how does it differ? And I was going to go looking around for some literature on activation exercises but knowing you you've got a study lying on your desk :49:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hmm...how does it differ? And I was going to go looking around for some literature on activation exercises but knowing you you've got a study lying on your desk :49:

I've upgraded my computer so I'll have to have a look for the paper. Basically you are using an exercise that is single joint in order to get the muscle "activated". It acts as essentially a specific warmup for that muscle so that when you move to a compound movement those muscles are already warm, active, motor units switched on and able to be more readily fatigued. Thus in a lagging or relatively inactive muscle it will be more involved in the lift.

I've used it to great effect on my chest (was delt dominant), hammys (which were non existent in hammy exercises like SLDL) and traps. I have been using it on VMO, hammys and lower traps of late. Appears to be having an effect.

Also physio's call it something special and talk about doing (insert term I've forgotten) and then integrate. That was were I got the idea from in the first place.

Another point is that you can use the lateral raise safely if you keep the arms in the scapular plane. So the advice I was operating on was partially incorrect. But given the way that most people perform the exercise it is the correct advice. There are some demo's showing scapular plane lateral raises that would be worth looking at. :thumbsup2:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ok time to talk about my training this evening.

I ordered and bought a few things for my training. The last time I bought any training gear was a piece of rope...... It's been about 4-5yrs since I've spent much on equipment.

New stuff:
Dip/Chin belt
Nike Free 5.0
Elbow sleeves

All were gold and may me wonder why I hadn't spent the $$ sooner. I'll also buy some new knee sleeves (the others are 3-4yrs old) as the elbow sleeves kept the elbow far warmer than the equivilent knee versions. These all got a bit of use on my DE day (ME pulls).

Hang Clean
60kg x2
8 sets

Donkey calf raise - single leg
20kg x8
40kg x8
60kg x8
60kg x8
60kg x8
60kg x8

Deadlift
100kg x2
140kg x2
160kg x2
170kg x1
175kg x1
180kg x1

Donkey calf - 2 legs
60kg x20
60kg x20

GMs
35kg x20
35kg x20

Lunge
70kg x2
8 sets

Squats
60kg x20
60kg x15

Grippers
T x3
1 x2
2 x2
1 x2

Leg raises

Thick bar hangs
60sec

Soundtrack:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Thanks Jono.

Was a bit stiff from yesterday in the legs and back so those were affected a bit. Didn't get my 82.5kg snatch as planned. 80kg just felt too heavy. On the plus side bench and triceps felt good. I added 10kg to my skull crushers by accident.

Snatch
20kg x5
40kg x4
60kg x2
70kg x2
75kg x1
80kg x1

W holds
2.5kg x5
5kg x5

Pullups
BW x3
BW x3
20kg x3
26.5kg x5
26.5kg x5
26.5kg x4
BW x5

Bench
60kg x5
80kg x2
100kg x2
110kg x2
115kg x2
120kg x2
125kg x1
127.5kg x1

Pushups
20kg x15
20kg x10

Fatman pullup
20kg x15
20kg x10

Skull Crushers - thought I had put 32kg on the bar but had actually put 42kg on :omgwtf:
42.5kg x12
42.5kg x5

Bicep curls
42.5kg x10
42.5kg x6

Soundtrack:

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Strong session man! strong skullcrushers, plus that bench is nice man!

Glex

Glex

VIP
So, are we talking like a superset with these activation exercises? Do some DB flies and then bench press kind of thing? And what did you do for your traps because mine are weak sauce :tear: Shrugs before your Olympic lifts?

Were you this strong a year ago? :skurred: Everything looks great!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Strong sessions Timbo, bench and deads are good. Snatch is hot!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Jono: I surprised myself on the skull crushers. Complete accident to load the bar up that much. What do they say about the power of the mind!?!

Glexinator: I do them as straight sets with a lightish weight prior to the main exercise. It can either be as part of the general warmup or as an exercise just prior. I don't go more than 1 or 2 sets with the aim being to feel the muscle at the end of the set. And I actually have overpowering upper traps, so I don't have an issue with trap involvement in cleans or snatches. In fact a proper clean should smoke the traps regardless.

Oh and I think I'm generally stronger, except for my hammy injury having brought my squat and deadlift back. I set quite a few PB's on various lifts of late except shoulder and chest pressing.

Ben: Snatch is always hot :thumbsup2:

Bit of an update. Travelling again for work and won't see a barbell till Monday. Closest I've gotten to lifting was trying to crush a titanium wedding ring (manging to bend it a little :headbang:) and picking up a guitar amp. This guitar store clerk was lugging a tube amp around the store this evening and was really struggling. He needed to put it back on the stand a foot off the ground so I lifted it up for him. I was almost going to suggest he take up lifting so he wouldn't be so embarrased by such a little amp.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
That's it, stay away from the weights. Allow your deadlift to get weaker.
*cue insane laughter*
MOOHOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That's it, stay away from the weights. Allow your deadlift to get weaker.
*cue insane laughter*
MOOHOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
great bench bro :) whats a fat man pullup ?