• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Training every Muscle once a Week

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have read that myself, I should have mentioned that. I was meaning on how to best induce muscle hypertrophy the best and most efficient way, is still relatively a theory so far. Because there are many successful ways of training. But you are completely right above, I just didn't state that above. Thanks for catching me on that and bringing that good point up. :xyxthumbs:

You're welcome bro :D

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There are many ways of training, like most science it is just a theory. Full body or once a week is just an example of many ways of inducing muscle hypertrophy. They both have their benefits, as well as their downfalls. It all depends on how you train, for instance, I train at such an intensity that I am sore for about 5 or more days. But if I was to train FB or UB/LB splits I would obviously train differently or in a way to give my body enough stimulus on the given day and enough time to recover in hopefully 48 hrs.
There is no creme de la creme of training to induce the maiximum muscle hypertrophy over any other. If that were the case then everyone would be using the same split and training regiment. Both Rocky/Tunen/Knight Rider and 20inchgunstucson make good points, but we are talking about theory (although some with more physiological knowledge than another) on how to best induce muscle hypertrophy. Again, we do not know for sure. But its clear that one can gain muscle using both methods. It's all based off of preference and how you prefer to train and/or how your body recovers.
From a personal standpoint my body responds great to once a week because of the intensity I train at. But I have never given full body a try, so I cannot from a personal standpoint say that FB does not work. But I can say that once a week split has worked great for me, but again I have nothing to compare it to.
From a physiological standpoint I can see how FB would work, but like I said I have a preference to once a week training and once I feel a plateau that I cannot overcome I will be glad to give FB a try. You never know how something works until you yourself try it out.

Thats just my two cents :tiphat:

that's more the standpoint i've come to see after hearing some of the testimonial from others in here on how they actually saw results with the FB training. all these controlled studies that other people in here keep mentioning are done by scientist's with a little group of your average joe's using moderate to light machines and weights. never do scientists go to the extremes bodybuilder's do in terms of training, diet, and supplements/drugs in there "tests or trials" so that is why they must be taken with a grain of salt imo. i usually like to try something before i make a call on it.

and tunen's little "epic self ownage" remark and every other little snide comment he's made towards me just goes to show what an asshole he is. your belittling remarks towards me will no longer illicit a response. i've apoligized for my initial remarks on FB training but my opinion on them stands. also thanks to knight rider for that interesting previous post of his. good read

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Intesity is the word that has to be considered on this topic. As Braaq mentioned, it doesnt necessarily matter what kind of routine you are doing as long as you train at a high intensity. I think that we can all agree that a beginner will benifit most with a full body routine and after that stage it is really just a matter of what works for a particular individual. If somebody does a full body routine they may incorporate 5 sets of chest work into their routine 2-3 times a week where as somebody doing a bodypart split may do 10-15 sets one time a week so the volume will likely come out to be the same. As long as you do not overtrain, intesity is what really matters. If you are doing a body part split, as long as your exercise selection is wise (compound movements) and intensity is high, without overtraining, and diet is in check, hypertrophy will occur. When I did bodypart splits, I would train my legs (not to the point of overtraining) and they would be painful to walk on 3-4 days after my workout, so obviously volume was high but frequency of training them was not. I have seen incredible gains off of body part splits because I was training smart and eating smart but now I am doing UB/LB split and I am seeing great gains off of this too because I am incorporating smart training and smart diet once again. The way I train now, I believe that my muscle fully recovers in 48 hours but when I was doing body part split I think it was taking upwards of 72 hours to recover because of a difference in volume. If somebody is looking for a scientific study to prove one over the other, I doubt you will find it. In fact, there is no scientific evidence that would prove that free weights provide better gains in size than machine work. However, we as bodybuilders use what we believe works for us and by god, every man to his own. The judgement of whose style is more effective (genetics aside) will come the day when the 2 stand side by side on stage or attempt a powerlift in the same meet.

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
and tunen's little "epic self ownage" remark and every other little snide comment he's made towards me just goes to show what an asshole he is.
Blake, talk some sense into this kid at your next session will you?

your belittling remarks towards me will no longer illicit a response.
I only return fire dude.

i've apoligized for my initial remarks on FB training but my opinion on them stands.
So we're dealing with your will and not your reason...

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
lmao blake already posted here and isn't siding with anyone on the topic, and again way to go on calling me a kid and yet again trying to belittle me! (i know i said i wouldn't respond but i can't help it). i agree with braaq's approach of "if it works for you, then do it" there is no one "right" style, but i do believe there are ones that are better than others

but i can tell you he is most assuredly NOT a subscriber of the FB routine! we train very similarily and he goes balls to the wall every time. one of the strongest people i know. i think if i even suggested we do a full body routine steam would shoot from his ears.

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
lmao blake already posted here and isn't siding with anyone on the topic, and again way to go on calling me a kid and yet again trying to belittle me! (i know i said i wouldn't respond but i can't help it). i agree with braaq's approach of "if it works for you, then do it" there is no one "right" style, but i do believe there are ones that are better than others

but i can tell you he is most assuredly NOT a subscriber of the FB routine! we train very similarily and he goes balls to the wall every time. one of the strongest people i know. i think if i even suggested we do a full body routine steam would shoot from his ears.

I know he would (probably never) subscribe to an FB routine and I know his standpoint on the matter, but he could teach you a thing or two about how to behave on MM.

If you feel belittled - so be it. You made the snowball roll and it backfired.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
i agree with braaq's approach of "if it works for you, then do it" there is no one "right" style, but i do believe there are ones that are better than others
If I'm not mistaken, earlier in this thread you said you had tried FB but gave no details as to what you were doing per se or why you stopped doing it. Without said information it's really hard to take your experiences with said training principles seriously as you may have been performing it wrong in any one of a number of ways. The problem with our sport and the health industry in general right now is that so many carry around a non-progressive or traditionalist mindset and what's worse is how appallingly bad it is in young people. There's far too much idol worship in terms of putting the "personal experience of past athletes" training moniker up on a pedestal instead of subscribing to new scientific theory with properly backed data. Science has advanced bodybuilding an immeasurable extent over the past 15 years yet we're still not ready to give it our commitment in terms of breaking old training adages.
20inchgunstucson said:
Yes, he actually said he's never tried it earlier in this thread. The argument about him being one of the strongest people you know is pretty much a moot point though as there are several other factors that can easily eclipse training style in terms of whether you will or won't make gains; optimizing them is a different beast though.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If I'm not mistaken, earlier in this thread you said you had tried FB but gave no details as to what you were doing per se or why you stopped doing it. Without said information it's really hard to take your experiences with said training principles seriously as you may have been performing it wrong in any one of a number of ways. The problem with our sport and the health industry in general right now is that so many carry around a non-progressive or traditionalist mindset and what's worse is how appallingly bad it is in young people. There's far too much idol worship in terms of putting the "personal experience of past athletes" training moniker up on a pedestal instead of subscribing to new scientific theory with properly backed data. Science has advanced bodybuilding an immeasurable extent over the past 15 years yet we're still not ready to give it our commitment in terms of breaking old training adages.

Yes, he actually said he's never tried it earlier in this thread. The argument about him being one of the strongest people you know is pretty much a moot point though as there are several other factors that can easily eclipse training style in terms of whether you will or won't make gains; optimizing them is a different beast though.

i understand your standpoint here and think it is true in many ways. but i don't fully see the way science has brought our sport so much farther.....besides drugs (SARMS are gonna be awesome!!!). i think one of the biggest advancements was made when mike mentzer helped put a stop to the volume craze of 70's. do we really need a study to tell us that a barbell bench press is superior to a smith machine one? i know this is a very elementary example but please enlighten me on what any study has really taught us that most serious bodybuilders didn't already know through trail and error :confused: (that's not steroid related). like i said i believe many of these studies must be taken with a grain of salf because science never goes to any of the extremes bodybuilders do in terms of training, supplementation or anabolics.

and me saying he is the strongest person i know was in no way intended as an arguement, simply a compliment towards him. the way me and him train is awesome cause we always push for more, on a FB routine this would enevitably lead to overtraining, the frequency is just too high to always try to improve in some area. and of course sometimes we don't make improvements or maybe even take a step back if it's a bad day, but one variable that never changes is that we always bust our ass as best we can and you just can't do this on FB. you'll run yourself into the ground

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I do full body workouts
once a week
and every time its a tad different
machine then free weight, machine then free wieght
free weight then free weight, machine machine etc
mix it up every week. but energy and stress is an issue now
working a shit load, makes it hard to keep this up
might have to resort to a split.