• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Ugh...Burqa ban in France?

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I believe every human should have the right to express themselves in any way they want, as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others.
And my contention is that burqas infringe on the rights of Muslim females to express themselves in any physical manner. I suppose this is where our opinions irreconcilably diverge though.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
And my contention is that burqas infringe on the rights of Muslim females to express themselves in any physical manner. I suppose this is where our opinions irreconcilably diverge though.

I agree, Line. But I think this is a tricky issue for government policy to address, specifically as it's not clear whether they are wearing burqas of their own volition or being forced to wear them. If you could irrefutably prove they were being forced upon women without their consent, I would agree with you. It would be a clear case of one person infringing upon another's rights. What if, however, there is a group of women that believes burqas are part of their cultural identity? Now you have the government telling a group of people they cannot express their beliefs through their choice of clothing.

I find burqas to be an expression of what I believe to be an oppressive culture, but I find removing the right to express one's self to be more oppressive.

Governments shouldn't be in the business of judging religious practices, no matter how absurd they appear to be in the views of others.

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
And my contention is that burqas infringe on the rights of Muslim females to express themselves in any physical manner.
Yes, that seems to be the opinion of the vast majority of people, but it's still an opinion. You can't make laws based on your opinion.

Westerners often scoff at the laws in certain Middle Eastern countries which force women to wear full body burqas, yet here we are making laws that are doing the very same thing.......forcing Muslim women to dress a certain way.

This sets a dangerous precedent.

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
Governments shouldn't be in the business of judging religious practices, no matter how absurd they appear to be in the views of others.
Exactly.

I happen to find most all religions to be pretty absurd, but I certainly don't want to take away peoples freedom to practice their absurd religion.

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Exactly.

I happen to find most all religions to be pretty absurd, but I certainly don't want to take away peoples freedom to practice their absurd religion.

Even if it might threaten others? Hyperbole or not, as I stated in my previous post which got lost during the forum update, you can never be sure who might be hiding under that burqa. Since they're living in a foreign country, they should be thankful and accept that country's rules. What do you think what is the main reason why people leave Islamic countries? Mainly to search better life in more advanced coutries, just like France. Therefore I find it selfish to whine about the burqa ban.

Why don't we all start wearing ski masks if we have the right and freedom to parctice our religions.

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
Why don't we all start wearing ski masks if we have the right and freedom to parctice our religions.
Sometimes I wear a ski mask in the winter while I'm outside shoveling snow.

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sometimes I wear a ski mask in the winter while I'm outside shoveling snow.

Try wearing it every day and see what others will think of it.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
If a women wants to wear a burka, that's her business no one as nothing to do with it, as long as she is not imposing the burka to others and she wants to wear it.

if they wanted to do something about women oppression that does exist in the muslim world, just launch some kind of rescue and protection program to those women that want out.

the Burka is a religious symbol.

there shouldn't be any discrimination based on sex, race or religion. Even more if you're in a developed country.

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
Try wearing it every day and see what others will think of it.

24b5hsw-1.jpg

Reactions: lifterdead

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yes, that seems to be the opinion of the vast majority of people, but it's still an opinion. You can't make laws based on your opinion.

Westerners often scoff at the laws in certain Middle Eastern countries which force women to wear full body burqas, yet here we are making laws that are doing the very same thing.......forcing Muslim women to dress a certain way.

This sets a dangerous precedent.

While I agree to an extent I don't think they are being asked to do something imposing. This is like asking people to wear closed in shoes to a gym instead of sandels. The burqa is the most extreme of the Muslim head-dresses, and there are plenty of acceptable alternatives that could be worn, as decreed by their own religion. This isn't really taking away any freedoms from them, nor is it really encroaching upon their religious ideals. What this is really about is a lack of social integration into the wider society which a religious group has decided to partake of without following the social norms of. Now we aren't asking them to ride at the back of the bus, nor are we asking for them to stop praying to Alah, we are asking them to not wear a garment that disguises a persons identity from the wider public. You are not allowed to wear a ski-mask, balaclava, motorcycle helmet or any other such full face cover in any public area (try walking into a bank wearing a helmet or balaclava!!) so this is about bringing a group that are flouting the standards of a society into line with acceptable practice. Their "freedoms" or religious ideals are encroaching on the broader public and this is about making sure they accept that they are in a society that wants a different standard, while still allowing them to follow their beliefs (because as I already pointed out there are 8 options, they could still follow their beliefs whilst still showing their face).

Reactions: Anabolicus
lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Correct me if I'm wrong, I was under the impression you can wear a full-face cover helmet or ski-mask in public in America. I still agree with Tech; it's a slippery slope. Having the right to cover up in public, I suggest, does NOT encroach on the broader public. Although, I can agree on one point with you, Tim. If France decides it doesn't want to support personal freedoms and Muslims are upset about it, they should get the hell out of France. (Ala Germany in the 1930's) It still doesn't make France's flagrant abuse of government power any less ugly.

This is like asking people to wear closed in shoes to a gym instead of sandels.

Not really.

More later.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I saw a couple weeks ago on the news (lol) that somewhere (either Australia or USA) they're trying to ban burqas in public because there was a series of convenience store robberies where the assailant was wearing a burqa.

People can practice what they want, when they want, however they want, as long as it doesn't affect me (agree with Tech on that), however I'm more inclined to agree with Tim that they are in a society that follows different norms and rules. They should be able to wear what they want, but in a society that doesn't allow full face coverage, there needs to be some acceptance of the norms of the society they have migrated to (for whatever reason).

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Correct me if I'm wrong, I was under the impression you can wear a full-face cover helmet or ski-mask in public in America. I still agree with Tech; it's a slippery slope. Having the right to cover up in public, I suggest, does NOT encroach on the broader public. Although, I can agree on one point with you, Tim. If France decides it doesn't want to support personal freedoms and Muslims are upset about it, they should get the hell out of France. (Ala Germany in the 1930's) It still doesn't make France's flagrant abuse of government power any less ugly.
You can wear it but you can't wear it if you follow my meaning. You can wear a helmet, but you try going into a store with one on, they'll call the cops. You can wear the appropriate equipment for doing a task but you are expected to remove it outside of that task. So ski-masks on being worn into a bank will get you shot, regardless of how cold it was outside.

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
While I agree to an extent I don't think they are being asked to do something imposing. This is like asking people to wear closed in shoes to a gym instead of sandels. The burqa is the most extreme of the Muslim head-dresses, and there are plenty of acceptable alternatives that could be worn, as decreed by their own religion. This isn't really taking away any freedoms from them, nor is it really encroaching upon their religious ideals. What this is really about is a lack of social integration into the wider society which a religious group has decided to partake of without following the social norms of. Now we aren't asking them to ride at the back of the bus, nor are we asking for them to stop praying to Alah, we are asking them to not wear a garment that disguises a persons identity from the wider public. You are not allowed to wear a ski-mask, balaclava, motorcycle helmet or any other such full face cover in any public area (try walking into a bank wearing a helmet or balaclava!!) so this is about bringing a group that are flouting the standards of a society into line with acceptable practice. Their "freedoms" or religious ideals are encroaching on the broader public and this is about making sure they accept that they are in a society that wants a different standard, while still allowing them to follow their beliefs (because as I already pointed out there are 8 options, they could still follow their beliefs whilst still showing their face).

I couldn't agree more.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Where the hell is Ironslave? He'd be all over this.

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
In Australia, is there no difference between public and private places? I ask because you keep referencing private areas, such as banks and gyms. In America, these privately owned places are allowed (for the most part) to set their own set of rules and standards. So, I have no problem with a bank or gas station saying that people must not shield their face while they are inside their private establishment, however I don't think the government should be setting these laws for public places like parks, streets, etc.

You are not allowed to wear hats or sunglasses inside the bank I go to, but I don't have a problem with that since I realize I am merely a "guest" at their private business and if I don't follow their rules they will stop allowing me to come there.

I don't allow people inside my home that wear Affliction t-shirts, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to walk around public while wearing their douchebag shirt.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
In Australia, is there no difference between public and private places? I ask because you keep referencing private areas, such as banks and gyms. In America, these privately owned places are allowed (for the most part) to set their own set of rules and standards. So, I have no problem with a bank or gas station saying that people must not shield their face while they are inside their private establishment, however I don't think the government should be setting these laws for public places like parks, streets, etc.

You are not allowed to wear hats or sunglasses inside the bank I go to, but I don't have a problem with that since I realize I am merely a "guest" at their private business and if I don't follow their rules they will stop allowing me to come there.

I don't allow people inside my home that wear Affliction t-shirts, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to walk around public while wearing their douchebag shirt.

I understand the point you are making, and yes I am largely referring to private businesses, but our rules were made before banks became private. But I'm not going to address this point. I've had a similar conversation with someone on the train once. He was telling me the cops picked on him because he liked to wear his balaclava around in public (trains, in the city, etc). I said that didn't he look like he was about to knock over a store dressed like that? He replied that he was allowed to wear whatever he wants. He then admitted the cops had told him that there were public decency laws in relation to clothing and face coverings were deemed indecent (of course open to interpretation).

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
But to what extent are the French allowed to govern themselves based on their own cultural heritage, traditions, and political leanings and to what extent can we label what has come from their own intergenerational tendencies as something truly akin to bigotry or demonizing? Perhaps I let my opposition to religion skew my larger point about how our own culturally-shaped perspectives define the way we see the world in relation to personal governance. I do see the points you and lifterdead are making and I do understand them and, for the most part, I even agree with them. But even though encroaching on religious practices impresses upon the individual level of things, isn't that the right of a people, provided its within the legal rights of their own constitutional equivalent, to vote in such a way? (I don't know if it is; too lazy to research French law.) Westerners aren't the ones forcing laws on Middle-Eastern cultures here. Americans were largely against the ban. This is the French, whose opinion on the matter is shared by other European cultures. As lifterdead said, we can call this more oppressive if we want, but is this too not a belief - albeit a, what I'd like to think, more enlightened one - that we're positing on someone else's culture? Again, I just think this runs too deep to call it inherently wrong, for other peoples view the purpose of government in different ways and have been doing so for generations. Mindsets like this don't disappear. Sure, we can contend that the countries with the most freedoms are generally the most prosperous, perhaps even progressive. But we'll never get to the bottom of this, as there's no objective reasoning that's truly applicable here, for we have no collective human culture. Maybe I'm way off base here, but the French aren't telling people what to believe while the arguments against the ban seems to tell them what they believe about their government's place in society is wrong.

Last edited: