• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

  • Follow the 2026 Olympia on September 24 to 27, 2026!

UK Comedy vs. US Comedy

What sort of humor do you prefer?


  • Total voters
    15
P

Pain

............
VIP
Joined
Jun 27, 2006
Messages
7,540
Points
63
I find tv comedies from the UK are generally funnier than us tv comedies. Movies are different though, I find British comedy movies terrible.

Pain recommends these UK comedies..

Harry Enfield And Chums
The Fast Show
I'm Alan Partridge
Rab C. Nesbitt
Steptoe & Son
Only Fools And Horses
One Foot In The Grave
Mr.Bean
The Office
Men Behaving Badly
Father Ted
Red Dwarf
Bottom
Black Adder
 
ironheart

ironheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Oct 1, 2006
Messages
2,066
Points
38
UK.

i also like Fawlty towers and My family
 
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
8,129
Points
63
Avoid the last few series of Red Dwarf. It gets kind of lame. The first few are hilarious though.

Blackadder is a cult classic, I love that show.

The Goodies needs a mention also.
 
lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 23, 2006
Messages
1,644
Points
38
US, if only because I know more funny shows produced here. I would easily agree, however, that the US probably produces more unfunny shows than the UK.
 
Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
4,789
Points
63
The language barrier can be hard to get past sometimes.

I've watched both Spaced and The Office UK. They were both funny, but sometimes quite difficult to understand.

Even though it's not a comedy, I will say that Kitchen Nightmares (UK) was 100x better than Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares USA . Even though they are essentially the same show, the UK version seemed much more authentic.
 
R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 15, 2006
Messages
8,082
Points
63
I like a great deal og both but I think some US and UK shows are indiginous to where they were made and may work better in their country of origin.
 
Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
3,475
Points
38
Could you please tell me what's funny about Mr. Bean ? I find it disgusting.
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
My main gripe with American "comedy" is that they have to explain the joke after they tell it. It's either funny or not, explaining the joke means it wasn't.

And I love how there is a language barrier between Americans and the UK. Talk about lame America.
 

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
15,119
Points
73
US, since i know more of US movies and all. I think it would take time for me to prefer UK comedies more or as equal.. as i like US.
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
The language barrier can be hard to get past sometimes.
I've watched both Spaced and The Office UK. They were both funny, but sometimes quite difficult to understand.

Even though it's not a comedy, I will say that Kitchen Nightmares (UK) was 100x better than Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares USA . Even though they are essentially the same show, the UK version seemed much more authentic.

Line said:
Surely you're joking.
:e5dunno:

I had to speak pretty slowly when I was in the US so that people could understand me. Although that was only for dumb people. Most of the university people had no problem.
 
Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
6,255
Points
38
I had to speak pretty slowly when I was in the US so that people could understand me. Although that was only for dumb people. Most of the university people had no problem.
My queries stem more from geographical, sociocultural concerns about slang and its inception as acceptable language and differing trends in pronunciation and, again, their inceptions as acceptable language. Similarly, your country was founded on UK convicts, yet you still have distinguishable accents and idioms in comparison to both the UK and us.
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
^^ I think the idioms, colloquialisms and endemic vernacular are generally what confuses people about any other culture.

Although Australian society has largely lost a lot of these cultural linguistics and are seen as cliche. As way of an example: Steve Irwin used a lot of Australian colloquialisms such as "crickey" which the vast population do not due to a maturation of vernacular.

But Australian culture and cultural morays are still very much prominent in our lifestyle, media and art.

To be confused by this is usually one of two things (although I'd like to hear what you think, I'm thinking you may have some others):
1) A lack of exposure to other cultures, especially when the exposure doesn't involve interpersonal relations.
2) An ignorance or ellitist attitude towards other cultures.
 
Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
3,040
Points
38
A show I enjoy watching is "Flight of the Conchords"
 
Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
6,255
Points
38
^^ I think the idioms, colloquialisms and endemic vernacular are generally what confuses people about any other culture.

Although Australian society has largely lost a lot of these cultural linguistics and are seen as cliche. As way of an example: Steve Irwin used a lot of Australian colloquialisms such as "crickey" which the vast population do not due to a maturation of vernacular.

But Australian culture and cultural morays are still very much prominent in our lifestyle, media and art.

To be confused by this is usually one of two things (although I'd like to hear what you think, I'm thinking you may have some others):
1) A lack of exposure to other cultures, especially when the exposure doesn't involve interpersonal relations.
2) An ignorance or ellitist attitude towards other cultures.
I would say it's more to do with ignorance than elitism, though you're right in saying art and media also have much to do with how a society communicates. Still, that ignorance probably stems from something other than exposure, as people are self-centered beings -- which is the nature of our perception -- and don't weigh other individuals and values as equal to their own.
 
Robcardu

Robcardu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
4,816
Points
38
UK accent makes me mad, its hard for me to understand them, ive lawsys thought comedy has a lot of cultural, idiosyncrasy, slang things involved, its really hard/stupid to compare comedy from different countries, bc whats funny here maybe its not there.
 
Top