• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Why do bodybuilders continue training the same?

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tons, deads, rack deads, chins/pullups, pull downs, BB-rows, T-bar rows, seated cable rows.... I just don't like the thought of using a heavy weight with an underhand grip because of injury risk.

Starting a new thread to put this back on track.
All of which are very common exercises I do and my back is probably my best muscle group.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just to point out that Layne would have been using a hook grip on those deadlifts.

Hook grip is what the weightlifters use. Wrapping the thumb under the fingers really does improve your grip on the bar but it is not for whimps.

I agree with IS on the BB rows. They are an injury risk, for both the biceps and the lower back. But the biceps risk is down to how much load and how you do them. You see momentum kings that propel the weight using their legs: they are likely to do a bicep. Use your muscles and you'll fatigue first.

Deadlifting with the mixed grip is fine as long as you are keeping the arms straight (no bicep loading). I've found it is down to setup. A lot of guys seem to yank the bar rather than pull. Yanking often requires them to start with bent arms. Start with straight arms and it isn't an issue.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i agree flex, they should change things up a bit..

Wouldn't it be great if he did something to fix those asymmetry issues too!

Tim, you surely cant be serious? thinking that certain exercises can change someones asymmetry? come on dude, with the knowledge you supposedly have, there is no way this can be done..

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim, you surely cant be serious? thinking that certain exercises can change someones asymmetry? come on dude, with the knowledge you supposedly have, there is no way this can be done..

So you honestly think that there is no way that doing a single leg exercise would improve, lets say for example, a single leg that isn't as big :bitelip:

Imbalances, either from natural dominances or poor motor habits, can be fixed. You will always have some differences between limbs and areas of the body, as you can't get it perfectly right. You can, however, fix your imbalances so that there is barely any difference in size and strength. Sometimes that means doing unilateral work, sometimes it means doing extra unilateral work for the lagging limb/area.

Now if we are talking about nerve damage (which I don't think we are) then that is another story.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So you honestly think that there is no way that doing a single leg exercise would improve, lets say for example, a single leg that isn't as big :bitelip:

Imbalances, either from natural dominances or poor motor habits, can be fixed. You will always have some differences between limbs and areas of the body, as you can't get it perfectly right. You can, however, fix your imbalances so that there is barely any difference in size and strength. Sometimes that means doing unilateral work, sometimes it means doing extra unilateral work for the lagging limb/area.

Now if we are talking about nerve damage (which I don't think we are) then that is another story.

oh so your saying for example if the left leg is slightly behind in size just to train it a bit more or in a different way? if so then that kind of makes sense.. my left arm is smaller then my right so i always try to get an extra rep at the end of my sets with the left.. not sure if that works or not?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
oh so your saying for example if the left leg is slightly behind in size just to train it a bit more or in a different way? if so then that kind of makes sense.. my left arm is smaller then my right so i always try to get an extra rep at the end of my sets with the left.. not sure if that works or not?

Pretty much, yes.

Instead of doing say a leg press with two legs, if you do it with one leg at a time, you can make sure each leg is shifting the same load. This way the weaker/smaller leg can catch up.

It is the same principle as what you are trying to achieve in BBing by targeting certain muscles. Lagging hammys need more exercises/work to hit them. No back width, hit the lats harder. Etc. Just instead of doing it with both limbs at the same time you are making sure each limb is doing its own work.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How can you determine if there is nerve damage ? Or tissue damage even.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'd like to see Jay continue training his legs once a week, and have another day where he goes in the gym and does unilateral work. (perhaps before his chest workouts for example)

Cork

Cork

I'm just speculating here, because to me changing up routine is vital, but besides that point... The pros are on custom made cycles aren't they? Perhaps they are always modifying cycles instead of modifying gym time. Being a scientist, if I were to test different substances, I would want as many constant variables as possible. They keep the diet, they keep the routine, they change the gear. I don't know... like I said I'm just speculating and trying to add to a good discussion. There HAS to be some reason they aren't changing routine other than laziness.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm just speculating here, because to me changing up routine is vital, but besides that point... The pros are on custom made cycles aren't they? Perhaps they are always modifying cycles instead of modifying gym time. Being a scientist, if I were to test different substances, I would want as many constant variables as possible. They keep the diet, they keep the routine, they change the gear. I don't know... like I said I'm just speculating and trying to add to a good discussion. There HAS to be some reason they aren't changing routine other than laziness.
They do change the gear, but you should change the gear, just the same as you should change your training, change your diet, so on...and so on...

Bodybuilders will see better results by cycling off for a few months of the year rather than keeping it at the same amount all year round, that's a fact. Yet, some do keep it the same year-round.

The two reasons I believe they continue the same workouts is laziness and ignorance. I think people give bodybuilders too much credit for their intelligence

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yea i really agree with that too.^

I think a lot of guys rely on drugs and diet to do the job, but mostly drugs . What I mean by that is if more care was taken choosing foods for certain times of the day then we could increase the rate of success for another variable. I feel like the weight room is just sto stimulate the growth so lets do a generic form of a workout that most guys do year in and year out b/c thats is what "works for me." I don't think a lot of guys take full advantage of every variable they could to achieve a better physique.

Flex brought up training but i would also like to add in nutrition to that mix. But that is another thread entirely. Most guys think calories are calories but in a thread IS posted a long while back we know types of food matter, how could they not?

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Its a great post Flex. People just do not manipulate all the variables of training that they should in order to maximize their results. You have to take into consideration the theory of diminishing returns which explains how the progress you make from a program will diminish over time if the program remains unchanged. Your suggestion is to switch the variables weekly which is great. Some may choose to change them daily or monthly which can work as well. You have suggested a great form of periodization, yet so many will just turn their head and continue on doing the same shit.