• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

chest: db's vs bb? poll

dumbells or barbells

• barbell- i can go much heavier and i prefer it all the time or most of the time

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • dumbells for sure.. i get a way better chest contraction and squeeze

Votes: 43 53.1%

• Total voters
PUMBA

PUMBA

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
DB's for me, the Barbell pressing gave me what mass I have, but at this stage DB's put the icing on the cake.

Turkish1530

Turkish1530

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have switched to DB's before for about a month in a half up to around 2 months and i def. noticed a better pump and more contraction but i did not notice much mass gain, as far as trying to add mass I think that BB works a lot better becuz it is a mass building exercise and you can move a lot more weight......now I tend to do more BB work first for my mass builders and then I do more iso work afterwards to really get a good muscle contraction.....

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
it's easier to use dumbells if u are going to do a drop set or a couple of forced reps because u can drop the weight at anytime.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I alternate between the 2 each workout. It's the angle of press I alternate more when I hit a plateau as I'm always using both DB and BB already.

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Barbell bench.

As some argue, the potential for greater loads and hereby greater tension, makes the barbell press superior to DBs i matters of hypertrophy.

Some also claim they've used BBs to gain mass and now use DBs. Why is this? It's not like the look of the muscle changes or anything... Lines are genetic. DBs are not going to "define" your chest more or anything. Muscles can grow in cross-section and that's about it. So why not use exercises that elicit this most efficiently?

"Squeeze" doesn't have any documented effect on hypertrophy as well :49: All these myths a beginning to bother me :no:

MuscleHead

MuscleHead

I like both but then again Chest never been a weakness go figure

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I like to do both all though it's getting pretty hard to find a gym in this country that has heavy enough DB's. Not that I am in any way strong in chest but DB's above 40kg's are almost considered a menace to society.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tunen said:
Barbell bench.

As some argue, the potential for greater loads and hereby greater tension, makes the barbell press superior to DBs i matters of hypertrophy.

Some also claim they've used BBs to gain mass and now use DBs. Why is this? It's not like the look of the muscle changes or anything... Lines are genetic. DBs are not going to "define" your chest more or anything. Muscles can grow in cross-section and that's about it. So why not use exercises that elicit this most efficiently?

"Squeeze" doesn't have any documented effect on hypertrophy as well :49: All these myths a beginning to bother me :no:
Have to agree.

Although my preference for DB's comes from the better movement pattern, especially as it relates to shoulder action/health, and the ROM. And they can be superior for chest activation in anterior deltoid dominant lifters due to the ease of learning to recruit the chest with the DB.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
PUMBA

PUMBA

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tunen said:
Barbell bench.

I totally disagree, documented don't mean shit if you have experienced it. Ok I half agree that DB's can create Hypertrophy, but disagree that there is know more seperation or fullness added by using DB's.

Also I believe you need heavier weights to grow, BB allows this safer then DB's so that is the main reason I believ people believe that greater mass can be obtained with BB's

As Myths are bothering you, so do people who look for documentation on every frickin theory.

Try this theory do six months of each and tell me what happens, because I have done this and know for an absolute fact what it did for me.

So instead of putting little :bowroflarms: in your sentence and down playing peoples experiences because it ain't in a damn book, give it a go.:xyxthumbs:

I aknowledge you have a great body, but would not say you are big enough to knock people in the field of gaining mass and then creating more fullness or shape, which comes from stretching the fascia out, via more stretching moveoment like DB vs BB( as you can go deeper with DB's), Deep tissue Massage or on the deep end...Synthol usage.

It's my opinion, but I've done it and didn't worry about reading about some other guy doing it first.:e5dunno:

Glex

Glex

Diet cat says no spoon 4u
VIP
Well said, Pumba. Repulated.

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
PUMBA said:
I totally disagree, documented don't mean shit if you have experienced it. Ok I half agree that DB's can create Hypertrophy, but disagree that there is know more seperation or fullness added by using DB's.
Ok dude how are you going to explain the proposed hightened seperation? Logically it doesn't make sense...? How would you ever "shape" a muscle-belly? There is a definite number of fibres spanning two points, which can increase cross-section and nothing else. I don't get it...

PUMBA said:
Also I believe you need heavier weights to grow, BB allows this safer then DB's so that is the main reason I believ people believe that greater mass can be obtained with BB's
Belief you can practice on Sunday mornings...

PUMBA said:
As Myths are bothering you, so do people who look for documentation on every frickin theory.
No they don't :e5dunno:

PUMBA said:
Try this theory do six months of each and tell me what happens, because I have done this and know for an absolute fact what it did for me.
I have too dude... That you got more defined would have to do with either you getting leaner og the use of vascularity enhancing drugs.

PUMBA said:
So instead of putting little :bowroflarms: in your sentence and down playing peoples experiences because it ain't in a damn book, give it a go.:xyxthumbs:
As I said - I have tried it. I'm not trying to belittle anyone or to take anything away from you DB-lovers. I'm just interested in a plausible explanation for your claims (one not founded in myths and beleifs). I'm sorry for being pragmatic but that's my nature. Some of us don't believe anything which cannot be verified scientifically.

PUMBA said:
I aknowledge you have a great body, but would not say you are big enough to knock people in the field of gaining mass and then creating more fullness or shape, which comes from stretching the fascia out, via more stretching moveoment like DB vs BB( as you can go deeper with DB's), Deep tissue Massage or on the deep end...Synthol usage.
I'd have posted how I did even if I was 140lbs. I don't see how my level of fitness has anything to do with this discussion :uhoh2: Also I've never used like you have yourself, so I don't feel like you would be more knowledgeable about weight-training than me, just because you're bigger. The techniques you describe... I can't see them having much effect in matters of "definition". And I've never seen any documentation for their effect - hence I'm not going to believe it :xyxthumbs:

PUMBA said:
It's my opinion, but I've done it and didn't worry about reading about some other guy doing it first.:e5dunno:
Are you trying to mock science? :49: I don't mock YOUR God do I?

J

jornT

PUMBA said:
documented don't mean shit if you have experienced it.

Perhaps your n=1 experiment could be a bit biased? :ughfingers:

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
PUMBA > tunen

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tunen said:
Now THAT's an argument :xyxthumbs:

you know what your talking about Tunen, no doubt about it.. but your way too by the book if you ask me.. almost like all books vs all hands on.. your all books.. ive seen some of your youtube videos.. you know what your doing.. but that doesnt mean others are wrong.

PUMBA

PUMBA

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
One last time I will say I do admire your physique and respect your opinion, but I disagree.
If I experience something, should I disregard it as a myth because you have not experienced it or some guy with a few letters after his name says "NO THAT CAN'T HAPPEN!! Sorry but theories of professional "no it alls" have been proven wrong before, remember the earth was supposed to be flat once:e5dunno: Just the same as every opinion on training has a counter. Like full range of motion "say some" and "partial rep range" say others.

Tunen said:
Ok dude how are you going to explain the proposed hightened seperation? Logically it doesn't make sense...? How would you ever "shape" a muscle-belly? There is a definite number of fibres spanning two points, which can increase cross-section and nothing else. I don't get it...
You can't change the exact genetic shape of the muscle, but you can create a more seperated or fuller look through, greater range of motion and stretching, this has appeared in countless articles on increasing size through stretch.
Massage as well has been discussed on Jay Cutlers and Ronnies DVD's as a way to create more size and seperation.

Belief you can practice on Sunday mornings...
Sorry not religious :e5dunno:

No they don't :e5dunno:
I meant it bothers me, which I should know better then you what bothers me.

I have too dude... That you got more defined would have to do with either you getting leaner og the use of vascularity enhancing drugs.
You may be right but I was not talking about just getting leaner I was talking about seperation. Which people like Milos have said they have gotten seperation from stretching movement even out of condition, on one DVD he uses Hanging Leg Raises as an example.

As I said - I have tried it. I'm not trying to belittle anyone or to take anything away from you DB-lovers. I'm just interested in a plausible explanation for your claims (one not founded in myths and beleifs). I'm sorry for being pragmatic but that's my nature. Some of us don't believe anything which cannot be verified scientifically.

So if I try it and it works, then you try it and it doesn't...that makes YOU right???:e5dunno: Even though genetically you just may have a problem putting on size no matter what you do.

I'd have posted how I did even if I was 140lbs. I don't see how my level of fitness has anything to do with this discussion :uhoh2: Also I've never used like you have yourself, so I don't feel like you would be more knowledgeable about weight-training than me, just because you're bigger. The techniques you describe... I can't see them having much effect in matters of "definition". And I've never seen any documentation for their effect - hence I'm not going to believe it :xyxthumbs:

So if it is not written in ink it can't happen..hmmm strange concept. As for me using, not since a 1999 bro, I don't think they last that long, hope not since I am entering a Tested comp.

As for my views, they don't come from being bigger, they come from being a qualified instructor since 1993 and helping a number of BB's prep for comps in the past as well as training with Lee Priest at Phil Andersons Gym for a few weeks prior to his moving to the USA in the early 90's. Plus being a 34yr old that has trained "on and off" since the age of 15.......is experience of 19yrs worth nothing? Guess not because I didn't complete a thesis on the hole experience. Silly me:confused:

Are you trying to mock science? :49: I don't mock YOUR God do I?
Who is my God, I'm not religious. I'm not mocking science till you produce the document, I'm actually not mocking anything Tunen, I even complemented you on your physique, I'm just disagreeing with you without :49: at other people views or experiences.

So now that it has been pointed out that massage professionals and Milos have said basically what I'm getting at is that proof enough.....oh you would want the DVD names as the source

Jay Cutlers one was "Ripped to Shreds" and Milos's one was his two DVD set can't remember name but could look in my collection if you really want to know.

Mate I don't want to argue, you have your theory I have mine, all I know is I'll be around 90kg (198lbs) at 5'7 in a TESTED comp by the end of this year which isn't too bad I think, so you stick with what you believe and I'll stick with what works :xyxthumbs:

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
jornT said:
Perhaps your n=1 experiment could be a bit biased? :ughfingers:
:49: :49:

Seriously though, Tunen's making a much, much stronger case here.