• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

chest: db's vs bb? poll

dumbells or barbells

• barbell- i can go much heavier and i prefer it all the time or most of the time

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • dumbells for sure.. i get a way better chest contraction and squeeze

Votes: 43 53.1%

• Total voters
Pinhead

Pinhead

I prefer db's, they just work better for me. Still I should train with mixing db and bb.

shredded08

shredded08

i like usin both but damn it starts to get hard throwin up heavy db's (or atleast heavy to me :weightlifter: ) to do incline presses

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Both have their benefits and fall backs, so both are essential. I mix them up differently on a weekly basis, if you prefer one over the other you are not a bodybuilder. A true weightlifter and bodybuilder likes to build on his/her weaknesses. I like to be strong on everything, barbell or dumbbell :e5dunno:

You should of put a both option so I am not voting but I put my 2 cents in anyways.

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Braaq said it all, you shouldn't be accustommed to just one movement, a true bodybuilder emphasizes different workouts into their exercises and never picks a particular movement and only sticks to that one. I prefer both because when I get bored of one way, I go with the other. However, when you get to the higher weights for DB, it does get a 'bit harder to put it up, but when does heavy weight ever seem easy? Never....

J

JCVD

i like dumbells for nice contraction and squeeze, but barbell for pushing more weights and gaining more power. its prolly best to alternate between them and not give ur body a chance to adapt

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with Braaq & Fatality.

right now im trying to get into both DB and BB
kinda weird.. since i can do alot more with the BB than DB
definitely better. it's so pathetic with DB's im not gonna mention the weight i use.

<3Frosty

I like to use both. Not in the same routine of course, that would be near suicide, but if my BB bench stagnates, i like to switch to DBs.

My highest with DB bench was 95 lb DBs, and man i felt amazing after. But it takes alot out of you if you dont weight a whole lot. I also dont have to have a spotter for DBs, which is very nice.

wrestling lyon

wrestling lyon

I read an article which can really help shed light onto this subject
instead of worrying about the weight you are using worry more about the contraction you make yourself feel
instead of just doing bb bench and trying to get up the weight use less weight and focus more on the contraction in your chest instead of trying to push the weight up instead try and squeeze your chest together
IMO the contraction felt witht he bb whe you do it this way is much greater then with db's

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

i dunno bout all of use but the upper half of my chest is harder to bring up, than the lower half soo i really aim for squeeze n pump on the upper half by using dumbells, whereas lower half i doo my normal bench press rolling the shoulders bak too bring da chest out more. soo i think both are equal lol

T

Timeout

Vary between the 2 to get the best of both but i prefer db for better contaction.
I read that when bb if you have heavy weights people tend to lower the bar to high towards the neck and this puts the emphises on the shoulder and not the chest which might be the reason you are not getting the pump, maybe drop the weight and focus on the motion of the bar.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
h0ke

h0ke

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I prefer DB's. It just feel better to me :).

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
DB seems to work great for me tho I think the barbell is just as important

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I prefer BB's. I always touch the bar to my chest so I get a fairly good range of movement. Of course I alway follow up with DB's to get maximum range of movement at the top. I feel that I get the best result from BB's and have fair proof of this from experience.