• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

HUGE Kai Greene 2009 ---weight 300 lbs

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i never knew he had an issue with his pancreas.. there is no side to be on when it comes to roid gut.. it comes from a combination of many factors.. i know this for a fact.. GH plays a bigger role in abdominal expansion then insulin does.. why do i say this? because i have seen it with my own eyes.. its GH that makes everything grow.. im sure the addition of insulin only makes it worse though.. and not to mention large amounts of food that expand the internal walls.. i might be wrong.. this is just my opinion, im not a doctor nor a professional.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
GH (IGF-1) can cause an increase of organ mass...

AS can contribute also since they can increase IGF-1.

Diet also, different nutrients have different impact on Glucagon-like peptide 2, which also promotes intestinal growth:

Secretion of the intestinotropic hormone glucagon-like peptide 2 is differentially regulated by nutrients in humans.

Xiao Q, Boushey RP, Drucker DJ, Brubaker PL.

Department of Physiology, University of Toronto and the Toronto Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

BACKGROUND & AIMS: Glucagon-like peptide 2(1-33) (GLP-2(1-33)), an intestinally derived hormone, stimulates growth in rodent small and large bowel. To explore the physiology of GLP-2(1-33) secretion, we measured plasma GLP-2 levels in 6 healthy male volunteers, before and after test meals. METHODS: Blood samples were collected over 24 hours with the subjects consuming a normal, solid mixed diet (2500 kcal) and for 4 hours after liquid test meals (400 kcal/300 mL) composed of carbohydrate, fat, or protein. All studies commenced at 9 AM. Plasma was extracted and analyzed in radioimmunoassays for N-terminal immunoreactive GLP-2 (N-IR-GLP-2; measures bioactive GLP-2(1-33)) as well as total IR-GLP-2 (T-IR-GLP-2), which includes GLP-2(1-33), GLP-2(3-33) (an inactive degradation product of GLP-2(1-33)), and the pancreatic major proglucagon fragment (an inactive precursor that contains GLP-2). Basal and nutrient-stimulated plasma samples were also analyzed by high-performance liquid chromatography to determine the levels of GLP-2(1-33) and GLP-2(3-33). RESULTS: N-IR-GLP-2 levels were increased 2.0 +/- 0.2- to 2.8 +/- 0.5-fold 40 minutes after each mixed meal (P < 0.05-0.01) and returned to basal overnight, whereas T-IR-GLP-2 levels were increased 1.3 +/- 0.1-fold 40 minutes after breakfast only (P < 0.05). After ingestion of carbohydrate or fat alone, plasma N-IR-GLP-2 concentrations increased by 5.6 +/- 2.0- and 2.7 +/- 0.6-fold within 1 hour (P < 0.05). High-performance liquid chromatography analysis showed a relative increase in the levels of GLP-2(1-33) compared with GLP-2(3-33) (P < 0.05). Ingestion of the protein meal did not alter N-IR-GLP-2 levels, whereas T-IR-GLP-2 was increased by fat and protein (by 1.7 +/- 0. 2-fold for each, P < 0.01) but not by carbohydrate. CONCLUSIONS: These results show that secretion of GLP-2(1-33) from the intestine is regulated in a nutrient-dependent manner in normal humans.

The extended guts are not the result of roids, because face it, Arnold and all the old guys of the golden era were on roids and did not come to the stage with extended guts. The issue is more closely related to the use of HGH, IGF, and Insulin. The use of HGH and IGF started to become prominent around the same time as the extended stomachs began to make their appearance. Supposedly a high percentage of IGF receptors are found within the stomach and the intestines. Insulin is also to blame. Here is a quote from a thread on another forum about the same issue, "INSULIN is the cause of distended stomachs, because pros have to eat a lot of carbs to offset their higher than normal insulin production. "This constant pounding of carbohydrates and intercellular fat storage cause the distended look."

Like said before look at any of today's pros. You never see anyone doing the old vacuum poses anymore. Why? Because they cant! Just look through pictures of today's pros. Whenever they aren't consciously sucking in their guts then it's obvious.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
interesting post here. we can beat this topic to death, there will never be a consisten answer to this question.

GH Gut..

By: Liquidanny

In recent years, a number of writers have observed that increasing numbers of world-class bodybuilders appear at contests with low body fat, etched abdominal muscles and protruding guts. We have named this phenomena "Protruding Gut Syndrome" or "PGS" for short. Most notable among its victims is none other than Mr. Olympia himself, Dorian Yates. One writer suggested that this was a side effect of Steroid use. Another, influential editor, states flatly that it is caused by the use of hGH or GH releasers. There is no research to support either explanation. Frankly, there is no proof that this protruding gut phenomena exists at all or that if it does it is anything new. Our eyes tell us that there is a problem that is manifest in some physique stars. The question is when did it first appear and is it restricted to Steroid and/or GH users. It seems to me that in the 1950's, before Steroids, hGH or GH releasers, there were competitors that exhibited the same "problem". Moreover, the problem is not by any means limited to "ergogenic" drug users. An observant individual will notice it in thin individuals of every stripe who have never trained with weights or even exercised to any significant degree. If I'm correct, and I believe I am, the cause is failure to develop the set of muscles that are tasked with the role of holding the internal organs within the abdominopelvic cavity. This may be exacerbated somewhat in obese or formerly obese individuals by intra-visceral fat deposits, organ enlargement and prolapse of the abdominopelvic visceral sheath. Nevertheless, in most cases it is a lack of muscle development. These muscles have no significant visibility externally. In other words, they are not "show" muscles. Because they don't show directly, many never train them. Moreover, some who do train them don't realize that they are doing so or the benefit they derive from doing so. As an example, in a training course sold by Frank Zane many years ago, titled "How to Develop Championship Legs and a Small Waistline" he describes a technique called the "Stomach Vacuum". This is the kind of "exercise" that helps develop the muscles of which I speak. Arnold describes the same technique in his Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. It may not mean anything but neither Arnold nor Zane showed any evidence of protruding gut. By the way, before I go any further, it is worth pointing out that the most notable of these muscles are the internal obliques and the transverse abdominis but the Iliacus, Soleus and Intercostals are also involved. These muscles get a fair amount of stimulation from sit-ups but practically none from crunches. Over the past twenty years, the crunch has replaced the sit-up as the exercise of choice for developing the abdominals (technically rectus abdominis). This allows for another explanation of the increasing prevalence, if such exists, of PGS.

The lack of specific exercise for the gut retaining muscles is not the whole explanation for the phenomena. If it were, everyone who doesn't exercise would manifest the problem. As we can see by observing the public at large, this is not the case. However prevalent the problem, it is not universal among those who do not exercise. This suggests that while lack of the proper exercise may contribute to the problem, it is not the cause. Normally, the visceral sheath combined with the natural tonus of the retaining muscles is sufficient to maintain the organs within the Abdominopelvic cavity. Something must stretch the visceral wall and overcome the natural tonus of the retaining muscles, enter the big dinner, the TV and the soft couch. After eating the stomach and intestines are full of food and are, therefore, heavier and occupy more space then when empty. If the meal is particularly large they may require more space then can be provided in the un-distended space they have available to them. If one sits and the knees bend beyond 90 degrees, the space is further restricted. If the shoulders roll forward, as in relaxation, still further reduction of space is imposed by the pressure of the diaphragm in its downward excursion. Leaning forward, as some drivers do and as some chairs encourage one to do, allows gravity to force the viscera forward, placing increased pressure on the visceral wall. Watching television with the chin held on the hands also places the body in this position of increased pressure on the visceral wall. For the body builder, or weight lifter, guzzling water or workout drinks and then squatting creates incredible inter-visceral force. In fact, almost any movement performed in a forward bent position and any movement performed wearing a lifting belt also increases the pressure to astronomical levels. In other words, there are a host of behaviors, some of them unique to weight trainers others not, that create the distention that precedes PGS. Add in the reduced natural tonus common to a more or less sedentary life style and we have all the explanation required.

msuman

msuman

Bodybuilding is such an illusion. Kai is about 40 lbs heavier than Heath was during the Dex Jackson guest posing. But, Heath looks much bigger.

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Everyone said the same thing about kai having a huge gut last winter before the arnold, and we all know how that turned out come comp time :io:

umberto

umberto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
icredible upper body,especially if you think that his best body parts are the legs...

chadcruz

chadcruz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think that was the AC 09, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks mate. The reason I asked was that I wa checking out pics of him from the Australian GP 09 (which from memory was right around the time of the AC) and his gut looked completely different, no where near as much detail in his abs. I know he was obviously in waaay better condition for the AC but I was thinking perhaps that picture was from earlier on...maybe 07 0r 08.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Bodybuilding is such an illusion. Kai is about 40 lbs heavier than Heath was during the Dex Jackson guest posing. But, Heath looks much bigger.

I'll wait for the Olympia to make that assement.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Lanois

Lanois

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Oscar Arden on kai's midsection:
"I asked Oscar about the growing concern for Kai’s midsection and he said this was being addressed and precautions were being taken. He said because of the large quantity of food he eats in the off season and getting up to 300+ pounds this is bound to happen."

quote taken from Wiggs @ getbig.com

smcfay

smcfay

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
that is the definition of SWOLE..like a plum