• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

MuscleMecca: In your opinion what makes a good training partner

H

HandyMart777

*Someone who is STRONGER than I*

Personally, I am more into bodybuilding, but I train with two nationally ranked powerlifters. I experience my greatest gains when I am trying to surpass my training partners' strength.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I just wanted to make a comment on spotting and why it wasn't in my list. I don't like spotting, most people are far too eager to take the bar because everyone is used to having a bench that requires two people. I also don't like giving people a spot because they generally expect you to be lifting a large proportion of the weight rather than accept the fact that they should have 20-40kg less on the bar. Teaching someone how and when to spot takes one session, but getting them used to actually lifting their own damn bar is often an exercise in futility.

Also the loading and unloading of plates for the stronger/weaker lifter shouldn't be that big a deal. It's called GPP and is great for conditioning and stopping people standing there for 10mins between sets.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Also the loading and unloading of plates for the stronger/weaker lifter shouldn't be that big a deal. It's called GPP and is great for conditioning and stopping people standing there for 10mins between sets.

Damn straight its GPP, that and walking to the bar!

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
Do you think we could correlate a link between bench presses being the most stagnating lift and it being the most over spotted movement?

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
Do you think we could correlate a link between bench presses being the most stagnating lift and it being the most over spotted movement?

damn boy you're a genius!

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I want pickle to be my training partner....:spy:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I want pickle to be my training partner....:spy:

4251ce8605add82ce34d9121c620cf91.jpg

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
sorry lads bulkboy would be my first choice for a training partner.
l o l o l

:spy:

who needs 1 training partner though. The ideal scenario would be to fill a gym at the same time with like minded individuals. Point being if everyone in the gym at the same time as you is lifting big hard lifts its gonna have a hella of a better dynamic then squating next to the guy who benches 12 inches from his chest or doing chins next to the smith machine bench junkies that wonder why they have nagging shoulder problems and actually talk about nagging shoulder problems for 4-5 minutes between sets lolol.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP

crocodile tears, they are false and mean nothing to me!

my heart tho, and my tears, break and flow everyday, knowing that your living just around the corner and constantly choose trying to seduce some dudes girlfriend, over training with me. :(

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
You make me sad :crymeariver:

To be fair though... the chick is HOT.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
To be fair though... the chick is HOT.

This is fair, the thread hijack is not.

back on topic:
Im sexy, you're sexy so come and dance(train) with me Mich... er Kurrrrt

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
who needs 1 training partner though. The ideal scenario would be to fill a gym at the same time with like minded individuals. Point being if everyone in the gym at the same time as you is lifting big hard lifts its gonna have a hella of a better dynamic then squating next to the guy who benches 12 inches from his chest or doing chins next to the smith machine bench junkies that wonder why they have nagging shoulder problems and actually talk about nagging shoulder problems for 4-5 minutes between sets lolol.

I agree with this. I've trained in a couple of really cool gyms where everyone was working hard (one of them went downhill after that unfortunately) and it was the kind of place where you actually didn't look out of place deadlifting, where 1/4 squats were the exception not the norm, and it all motivated you to new heights (all my PB's were set in one of those gyms).

And have to lol at the smith machine comment. I remember a trainer making a similar comment to me one time and I said "I bet you $20 you use a smith machine for all BB pressing and a pec deck!" I got an extra month free at the gym for getting him off those things, his shoulders cleared up very quickly.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
Yeah the dynamic of a big group together is awesome. ALA pumping iron.(from my facebook stalking dridders has this, lucky bastard).

I hate gyms that have cardio equipment too near the weights that wrecks the feel(my current gym). Oh yeah Im pumped for my last set of squats seeing random mc no puff you go at 5 kmp/h on your pretendercise cross trainer.

Cardio training buddies are awesome but i like to separate the two. i.e ideally if i can get a cardio buddy whos fitter then me = profit a strength training buddy whos stronger then me profit. Its unlikely in todays world of slobs tho to get a combo of both of those in the one person.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
sorry lads bulkboy would be my first choice for a training partner.
l o l o l

:spy:

Pickle wins.

I dont get it though, when i started getting shoulder pain, i had to stop doing smith exercises because i couldnt adjust my positioning. I dont see how smith is BETTER for your shoulder pain when it forces you to move in a certain way as opposed to moving the way your body wants to move. The last time i used the smith was to do bent over rows because all the freeweights were being used at the time and it was fucken shit compared to free weight.