• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Phil Heath - 2009 Mr. Olympia Fifth Place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
LOL, everybody is forgetting DENNIS WOLF!!! I think he'll be in the top 6, guys...

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Very interesting points. I agree with most of what you've said. Where do you see Dennis Wolf? just behind this main group? I think he definitely has the potential to be right up there this year.

I'm not sure. I haven't seen anything from him that suggests that he has brought up his back to really be in the running. I didn't include him because the only shots that have been around are of him in a t-shirt looking huge.

In fairness I can see him dominating if his condition is good. His height and size are good weapons for him. But he needs to have made some big improvements and I don't know that he has.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ He came in fourth last year being VERY flat, I assume he will be again in that top 4 this year.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
^^ He came in fourth last year being VERY flat, I assume he will be again in that top 4 this year.

I agree but i beleive he might get a raw deal concidering there are atleast 4 guys who are pontentially ahead of him (victor,dexter,kai,heath)

RealDeal2099

RealDeal2099

Kai - IMO is the most average of the list of potential winners. I don't think he has aesthetic proportions, his lauded posing routines belong in a strip club and finally his Arnold win is being over-quoted. His nearest competitor was coming off major surgery, the next was a 202 competitor and the other has an unfortuneate pec tear, how is this a decisive win? The biggest point that people fail to take on board is the disrepute that he will bring to the sport from the wider community with his G4P videos. It is a massive skeleton in his closet that will always hold him back from being held up as the BBing O Champ.

Are you talking about Branch? He was third at the Arnold. If so, I didn't realize he used to complete in the 202. In any case, I agree that Kai's win was not decisive - Branch could have made a case for winning.

Attachments

• 2009-arnold-classic273.jpg
    2009-arnold-classic273.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 2009-arnold-classic23.jpg
    2009-arnold-classic23.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 219
RealDeal2099

RealDeal2099

LOL, everybody is forgetting DENNIS WOLF!!! I think he'll be in the top 6, guys...

I was thinking about including Dennis in my original post, but Phil beat him pretty clearly last year and is likely to have made more improvements than him over the past year. I see Dennis competing for a spot in the top six but probably not beating the five mentioned above.

medicineman

medicineman

Are you talking about Branch? He was third at the Arnold. If so, I didn't realize he used to complete in the 202. In any case, I agree that Kai's win was not decisive - Branch could have made a case for winning.

ya, he should have won. i would have settled for second, but in that case it could have gone either way. greene, although not very aesthetic, hes got some freaky thickness. i dig "wow' factor, but not when a more ideal physique is overlooked.

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
I look at it in a different light. The contenders showing up in their best condition ever...... for guys that have showed a drop off or inconsistency in form to be their best ever is not something you'd have good odds on with a bookie.

Athlete by athlete:
Jay - played the size game and after about 5yrs was actually recognised for the year he was the better against Coleman (he wasn't his best the year he won, it was several years previous). Has massive imbalances and unless he can hide them with his posing will battle to be top 5. Hide them though and he will do better than he deserves. And I'm sick of the "you can't see the imbalances" BS, go and get your eyes checked :borat:

Dexter - finally was recognised after being a clear champ several years earlier. His win was also a drastic change away from over a decade (close to 2 decades) of rewarding the mass monsters. This move would not have been taken lightly and shows a change in what the judges are looking for. Dex wasn't at his best last year, but he has made some improvements and when has he not shown up with terrific conditioning. I can't see him lower than third and is a good chance for a second win.

Kai - IMO is the most average of the list of potential winners. I don't think he has aesthetic proportions, his lauded posing routines belong in a strip club and finally his Arnold win is being over-quoted. His nearest competitor was coming off major surgery, the next was a 202 competitor and the other has an unfortuneate pec tear, how is this a decisive win? The biggest point that people fail to take on board is the disrepute that he will bring to the sport from the wider community with his G4P videos. It is a massive skeleton in his closet that will always hold him back from being held up as the BBing O Champ.

Victor - lacks legs. Enough said. He has made improvements in his legs in only a few months since the AC. Give him another month or so and he could have a very complete package. Or he could show up only "improved" since the AC, which isn't enough to win the O against Dex or Phil or Jay for that matter. It should be enough to beat Kai however.

Phil - looked to have won the O last year. He has improved since last year. His conditioning will be key to beating Dex, as well as maintaining his lines. His guest posing against Dex and Jay he looked to have a better package than both, and looked to carry enough mass to eclipse guys actually bigger than him. The biggest concern is what he brings on stage and whether his arms have become too big for his chest. IMO he is this years winner, but he has to beat Dex who is possibly one of the most consistent contenders.

Well said Tim!

I fully agree on Kai's post also, i think we are called "haters" but that's how i see it too, he beat an 90% Victor at the Arnold, and that's it. And yes, his history will hold him down, but i don't care about him anyway, cus there were even greater bb'ers who were screwed, and Kai is not even close to them.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
Well said Tim!
he beat an 90% Victor at the Arnold,

sad thing is that 90% is victors new 100% he'll never win an o or arnold again.:bullwhip: and i cant even say that about jay.

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
sad thing is that 90% is victors new 100% he'll never win an o or arnold again.:bullwhip: and i cant even say that about jay.

hater!

:D

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
B

Batmanx007

I think i'd have to agree with both tkd, and Ironheart in their assessments. I'll start with Kai. I, too think he's the most average among this list of competitors. He has a meaty, but slightly smooth back. His waist is extremely short and wide(bad combination), and his symmetry is just not good. Vic is a tough call, simply because we don't know what that surgically repaired leg is gonna look like, and he has been know to have conditioning issues. Jay, if Jay can dial in his conditioning(which won't be easy for him) he WILL win. But that's a BIG IF. Dexter looked incredible at last years Mr. O, but the Mr. Olympia rookie, Heath was right on his tail(Jay was thrown between the two for good measure because Phil hadn't paid enough IFBB dues yet) Dexter cannot win with the same physique he won with last year. He'll have to bring something a little different. My concern with Phil is in recent off season pics of him. He has proven he can improve greatly between competitions, but I wonder if the size of his arms will over shadow his chest, and throw off his symmetry. His arms are absolutey H U G E. The X factor at this year's Mr. Olympia could well be Dennis Wolf. This off season he got up to somewhere between 305 and 310 lbs. If he dials in his condtioning, his quads, hams, and glutes, and thickens his lats, he could be the dark horse of this competition. Also, no matter how many times you hear this is no longer a "mass monster" show. The biggest, hardest freakiest guy on stage is most likely to win. The Mr. Olympia is still, and always will be the "Big Man's Show"

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Also, no matter how many times you hear this is no longer a "mass monster" show. The biggest, hardest freakiest guy on stage is most likely to win. The Mr. Olympia is still, and always will be the "Big Man's Show"

At least I'm not alone! I agree with you, mate, great post.

RealDeal2099

RealDeal2099

I second. This is also very true:

Dexter cannot win with the same physique he won with last year.

Dexter added 10 pounds between the 2007 and 2008 Olympias, competing at 235 pounds. Since this is the first year he has trained only for the O, I wonder if he can add even more for 2009. Imagine Dex at 245-250 with his trademark conditioning!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think i'd have to agree with both tkd, and Ironheart in their assessments. I'll start with Kai. I, too think he's the most average among this list of competitors. He has a meaty, but slightly smooth back. His waist is extremely short and wide(bad combination), and his symmetry is just not good. Vic is a tough call, simply because we don't know what that surgically repaired leg is gonna look like, and he has been know to have conditioning issues. Jay, if Jay can dial in his conditioning(which won't be easy for him) he WILL win. But that's a BIG IF. Dexter looked incredible at last years Mr. O, but the Mr. Olympia rookie, Heath was right on his tail(Jay was thrown between the two for good measure because Phil hadn't paid enough IFBB dues yet) Dexter cannot win with the same physique he won with last year. He'll have to bring something a little different. My concern with Phil is in recent off season pics of him. He has proven he can improve greatly between competitions, but I wonder if the size of his arms will over shadow his chest, and throw off his symmetry. His arms are absolutey H U G E. The X factor at this year's Mr. Olympia could well be Dennis Wolf. This off season he got up to somewhere between 305 and 310 lbs. If he dials in his condtioning, his quads, hams, and glutes, and thickens his lats, he could be the dark horse of this competition. Also, no matter how many times you hear this is no longer a "mass monster" show. The biggest, hardest freakiest guy on stage is most likely to win. The Mr. Olympia is still, and always will be the "Big Man's Show"

Thanks for agreeing and making the same assessments I have :tiphat: I was a bit concerned to throw Wolf into the mix as I haven't seen anything from him lately to assess. It would be good to see him do well.

msvf1 said:
So you disagree with my posts but agree with someone else who made the same assessments? :deadhorse:

msuman

msuman

A few weeks ago, Heath guest posed next to Jay, Dex and Ronnie. Heath looked way better than all of them. He has improved a lot and will win the O.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So you disagree with my posts but agree with someone else who made the same assessments? :deadhorse:

Hell no. You are one of the guys who said "winds of change came to BB after Dex won the O".

I agree with this:

Also, no matter how many times you hear this is no longer a "mass monster" show. The biggest, hardest freakiest guy on stage is most likely to win. The Mr. Olympia is still, and always will be the "Big Man's Show"

Mass monsters FTW!!! :turborun:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ So you read the part you wanted to :rolleyes:

Lanois

Lanois

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A few weeks ago, Heath guest posed next to Jay, Dex and Ronnie. Heath looked way better than all of them. He has improved a lot and will win the O.

The only problem with that, is that the olympia wasnt held a few weeks ago

Adam23

Adam23

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

yeah, very funny :doh:

heath looked better than them a few weeks ago, and he will look better than them at the Olympia too :borat:

msuman

msuman

That's not a problem, rather a sign of what's to come. HEATH!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.