• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Robby Robinson Wants Government to Stop Steroids in bodybuilding

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Originally posted by Line
It's laughable how worked up some people in this thread are getting. Personally I'm enjoying myself. Instead of insinuating what the ramifications of Robinson's moral objections to drug use why not consider the fact that nothing will be done about what he's said? I doubt the government is going to react now that some former athlete, whom they've never heard of, is opposed to steroids.

i don't think any of us are worried bbing will be changing anytime soon. this is just us arguing over a fairly facetious situation. it's just the notion that bothers us i guess you could say :dunnodude:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
jesus you just basically brushed off all the hard work a bber does, and you call it nitpicking???

great....just great. why would you lower yourself to the general public's perception of it? wanna know what i hear a lot? "a bunch of guys in thongs flexing" makes me want to slap whoever said it across the face for trivializing it to nothing and having complete disregard for the effort it takes to look like that.

Oh grow up, when did I ever deny the hard work bodybuilders do? Read the VERY NEXT WORDS I said "of course those are grueling".

Lower myself? Dude, a bodybuilding competition (the competition itself) IS standing on stage, flexing and getting judged. I've competed, and this is the truth. How is this in any way disregarding the effort that goes into getting yourself ready to get on stage, flex and be judged?

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
who knows, maybe I'm the only one who feels that way about bodybuilding contests. if thats the case, how come bodybuilding contests aren't more popular amongst average sports fans? why are Rock/Paper/Scissor competitions on ESPN and bodybuilding shows aren't?

Robcardu

Robcardu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
who knows, maybe I'm the only one who feels that way about bodybuilding contests. if thats the case, how come bodybuilding contests aren't more popular amongst average sports fans? why are Rock/Paper/Scissor competitions on ESPN and bodybuilding shows aren't?

Hey tech this is a forum, not a place to express your opinions, you should burn in hell,..how dare you???

:49:

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

steroids. period.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Originally posted by Ironslave
Oh grow up, when did I ever deny the hard work bodybuilders do? Read the VERY NEXT WORDS I said "of course those are grueling".

well then don't call it nitpicking.

Lower myself? Dude, a bodybuilding competition (the competition itself) IS standing on stage, flexing and getting judged. I've competed, and this is the truth. How is this in any way disregarding the effort that goes into getting yourself ready to get on stage, flex and be judged?

bodybuilding fans go to shows not only to watch and give their own opinion on who has the best physique, but to watch (sometimes in awe) what the human body is capable of and how magnificent it looks. bodybuilding and it's shows are more than just standing and flexing. if all you see onstage is a bunch of guys flexing and not years of work and effort battling it out for 1st than you're not a true fan.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ why is it that shit like spelling bees are broadcasted but not bbing contests? i certainly don't think it's because the spelling bees are "more exciting". bodybuilding has a bigger following than spelling bees. i've never seen a "spellers weekly" magizine yet we have like 6 or 7 different mags covering the sport. why? why despite every guy i know wanting to put on some size and looking up to the "big guy" at the gym or wherever is this sport not broadcasted more? it's simple to me, the sport has a massive scarlet letter, and that is steroids.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
steroids. period.
:bowroflarms:

The term "freak" is bandied around a lot in the sport of BBing. On the BBing side it is seen as a compliment, on the greater public side it is an insult and derision of the sub-culture. Robbie is essentially wanting the Govt to legitimise BBing by removing some of the freak element (and create a less illegal nature to the sport) by cracking down on drugs in the sport.

The public perception of BBing goes far beyond such a naive statement of "steroids". There has actually been a raising of awareness of BBing physical ideals in the general public through action films and stars where it is now commonly accepted that action heros have to look like they actually are fit, lean and muscular. Of course this is then stymied by the overall perception of the sport itself.

To the public a bodybuilder does not perform in an athletic event when competing. A bodybuilder dresses in a thong. A bodybuilder is freakishly (not in the good way) muscled and lean. A bodybuilder is being cheered on (by mostly men) for displays of hypermasculinity that is ultimately just a bit homoerotic.

Reading some of the psychology texts on BBing you come across these themes being addressed in terms of why BBers would choose to become freaky fetish symbols willingly. Further to this why they would undertake illegal activities in order to achieve this. I noticed that drug use while associated with BBing is a relatively minor point to what is viewed as a freak show from the psychological and public viewpoint. I mean what straight man desires to hike his posing thong up into his butt crack in order to show off his glutes to a crowd of cheering male fans?

Now the larger issue of drugs in sport won't go away, BBing is not on its own here. But to essentially sanction their use with the displays of freakishness will always haunt the sport. Government control of this aspect is misguided as the sport itself recieves no public money and competitors generally not breaking any fedral laws by competing as athletes. Their personal drug use is a personal offence, not something the sport is directly accountable for (just as track and field isn't responisible for Marion Jones, etc).

Also the rabid leap to the defence of your sport, while very noble, shows a lack of perspective. This is a BBing forum where those interested in BBing come to communicate with like minded individuals. To become insular and not contemplate other views and wider issues will ultimately lead to social isolation and secularism. To live in an insular community online and not reach a greater understanding of both your sport and its place and possible future will lead to the undermining of its future. Maintaining a cult status for the sport will lead to future issues with regulation, finances and the like. Just look at the average commercial gym. They do not cater for the BBer, they cater for the housewife. Yet the popularity of gyms has come from BBing.

If BBing is to progress it needs to lose the freak label, which means losing the promotion/acceptance of steroids (etc) in the sport. Robbie is correct on this, but he is wrong on involving the govt. The acceptance of steroids in our sport is a blight that needs to be removed.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:bowroflarms:

The term "freak" is bandied around a lot in the sport of BBing. On the BBing side it is seen as a compliment, on the greater public side it is an insult and derision of the sub-culture. Robbie is essentially wanting the Govt to legitimise BBing by removing some of the freak element (and create a less illegal nature to the sport) by cracking down on drugs in the sport.

The public perception of BBing goes far beyond such a naive statement of "steroids". There has actually been a raising of awareness of BBing physical ideals in the general public through action films and stars where it is now commonly accepted that action heros have to look like they actually are fit, lean and muscular. Of course this is then stymied by the overall perception of the sport itself.

To the public a bodybuilder does not perform in an athletic event when competing. A bodybuilder dresses in a thong. A bodybuilder is freakishly (not in the good way) muscled and lean. A bodybuilder is being cheered on (by mostly men) for displays of hypermasculinity that is ultimately just a bit homoerotic.

Reading some of the psychology texts on BBing you come across these themes being addressed in terms of why BBers would choose to become freaky fetish symbols willingly. Further to this why they would undertake illegal activities in order to achieve this. I noticed that drug use while associated with BBing is a relatively minor point to what is viewed as a freak show from the psychological and public viewpoint. I mean what straight man desires to hike his posing thong up into his butt crack in order to show off his glutes to a crowd of cheering male fans?

Now the larger issue of drugs in sport won't go away, BBing is not on its own here. But to essentially sanction their use with the displays of freakishness will always haunt the sport. Government control of this aspect is misguided as the sport itself recieves no public money and competitors generally not breaking any fedral laws by competing as athletes. Their personal drug use is a personal offence, not something the sport is directly accountable for (just as track and field isn't responisible for Marion Jones, etc).

Also the rabid leap to the defence of your sport, while very noble, shows a lack of perspective. This is a BBing forum where those interested in BBing come to communicate with like minded individuals. To become insular and not contemplate other views and wider issues will ultimately lead to social isolation and secularism. To live in an insular community online and not reach a greater understanding of both your sport and its place and possible future will lead to the undermining of its future. Maintaining a cult status for the sport will lead to future issues with regulation, finances and the like. Just look at the average commercial gym. They do not cater for the BBer, they cater for the housewife. Yet the popularity of gyms has come from BBing.

If BBing is to progress it needs to lose the freak label, which means losing the promotion/acceptance of steroids (etc) in the sport. Robbie is correct on this, but he is wrong on involving the govt. The acceptance of steroids in our sport is a blight that needs to be removed.

despite your laughing smiley at my response, i don't really see how this refutes what i said. your biggest arguement against me was comparing it to other sports that also have drug issues and are still nonethelss popular. which is a good point, but i still find that amongst the general population (and the people i know) they think bbers are a bunch of juice heads and thus why they don't support them. people tend to not think the same about a track athlete or football player. though this is a very good post and i agree with everything (it could have done without the homoerotic and glute flexing stuff as a bodybuilder does not view anything done onstage or in the posing room in a sexual nature. you say that we willingly become "freaky fetish symbols" and that is NOT the intent of a bodybuilder in the classic sense), it is more or less true. the general population does not associate the word "freak" as a good thing, whereas myself and other bbers take it as one of the best compliments available.

overall though i must agree with you. honestly i think all this chat of steroids will soon die anyway. SARMS are going to be on the scene in 10 years tops and if they're what they're cracked up to be, we shouldn't need steroids anymore.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
^ why is it that shit like spelling bees are broadcasted but not bbing contests? i certainly don't think it's because the spelling bees are "more exciting". bodybuilding has a bigger following than spelling bees. i've never seen a "spellers weekly" magizine yet we have like 6 or 7 different mags covering the sport. why? why despite every guy i know wanting to put on some size and looking up to the "big guy" at the gym or wherever is this sport not broadcasted more? it's simple to me, the sport has a massive scarlet letter, and that is steroids.
I'll respond to this (by editing this post) tomorrow. I need to sleep for work.

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I now pronounce you man and wife, you may kiss the bri....wait? oh sorry wrong thread :io: