• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

The Road to Humiliation: My First PL Meets

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
MY SECOND POWERLIFTING MEET Part 1

USAPL Vs. IPA

This was my first USAPL meet. Part of the IPF, I heard the USAPL has tough judging. I had no idea how tough it would actually be! At my previous meet (run by the IPA) events were fairly laid-back, but also sloppy. Weigh-ins we allowed 24 hours in advance, no equipment checks, squat depth was questionable, a monolift, etc. Not so at the USAPL meet! Weigh-ins were strict; 2 hours in advance only! They were done right after registration with a representative who walks you from the table to the bathroom and observes you the entire time. The same rep measured my belt to make sure it was legal and felt my singlet to make sure it wasn't supportive, as I was in the RAW division. The meet was run with extreme professionalism. All referees wore blazers, and everything was announced and on time. How strict was the actual judging? I'll get to my lifting later, but first I want to make a list of various things I saw people get called on for "infractions."

Things that don't bode well in the IPF:

1. Boxers. Not allowed! I was told after the weigh-in to only wear whitey-tighties.
2. Short socks. Not allowed! Long socks are REQUIRED for deadlifting.
3. Suicide grip. Not allowed! Don't even think of benching unless you have both thumbs around the bar.
4. Sleeveless T-shirts under the singlet. Not allowed!
5. Bare chested squatting or benching. Not allowed! Must wear a regular T-shirt underneath singlet.
6. Parallel squats. FORBIDDEN! Must BREAK parallel!
7. Uneven arms when benching. FORBIDDEN! Must be a smooth lift!

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
MY LIFTING part 2

I did well!

Ironically, I'm not sure how I placed. This was a 2-day event and my weight class lifted on the morning of the first day. The award ceremony wasn't until that evening, and I had to get back to Manhattan that day. Results will be posted later this week. The good news is I didn't bomb. I only missed 2 lifts, one missed command, and one lift I just got ahead of myself.

THE GOOD

I totaled 825 pound even with my missed lifts. Had I hit everything correctly, I would've been close to 900. Felt I had more in me on the bench and squat, and I had the second highest RAW bench of the meet.

THE BAD
I had my first squat turned down on an infraction. Perfectly good squat! ATG, smooth, etc. Why was it turned down 2 to 1?????? I WASN'T FULLY ERECT BEFORE I BEGAN MY DESCENT! Jesus, can you believe that? Before you squat, they want you to be perpendicular to the ground, legs locked. My legs were locked, but I had a slight lean before he gave the squat command. You are allowed to lean forward, of course, but only after the squat command.

THE UGLY

Let myself get too light again. The strange part is I didn't even do cardio this time, just at veggies and meat, low carbs. 5 weeks out I weighed 165 pounds. The day of the meet, I weighed in at 145 pounds, or 66 kilos. At 5'9, I was the tallest guy in my division, and also the skinniest. A few guys at 5'2 weighed in at exactly 148.75 and kicked my ASS. No more 67.5 class for me. Next time I'll do 75/165 class.

Last edited:
lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My LIFTING part 3 (Pics included!)

THE SQUAT

Opened light at 245 pounds. Still scared after bombing out of my last meet. In training, I hit 308 (140 kilos.) Turned down on first attempt for failing to start lift correctly. Came back and did it properly the second time. For the third attempt, I just stuck with 125 kilos with immaculate form. See the picture and be in awe of my depth.

THE BENCH

Hit all my attempts. Went 90 kilos, 100 kilos, 110 kilos. Felt I could've hit 115, maybe even 120. Check out my arch!

THE DEADLIFT

Biggest disappointment of the meet. In training, I nailed 145 kilos for a triple, felt ready for more. I opened with 140 kilos, followed with 145, smoked them both. Started to get cramps, BAD. Not ready for my 155 kilos, which should have been easy. I lifted it off the ground, it stalled, and dropped it. Still really sore today, not sure what happened.

Enjoy the pics! My wife managed to snap them for me. I owe that woman something special for coming to Princeton and supporting me all day. You know you married the right woman when she puts up with your craziness....

KILOS

SQUAT 111 (no good) 111 125
BENCH 90 100 110
DEAD 140 145 155 (did not finish)

TOTAL: 375 KILOS @66

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Squat

Envy my depth.

Attachments

• me 009.jpg
    me 009.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 117
lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Bench

My arch isn't bad, but needs work.

Attachments

• me 010.jpg
    me 010.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 112
lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Deadlift

Yes, I know I'm too damn skinny.

Attachments

• me 003.jpg
    me 003.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 108
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Awesome report man, and good job on the lifts! now bulk up and fill that tall frame to 75kg!

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
good job, now it's time to get fat ;)

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Give that man a sandwich! :eatmousepointer:

Nice effort on the lifts mate, a good total for your scrawny ass.:tongue:

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was funny, someone actually told me I look like a marathon runner....
(I DID run marathons years ago!)

Still, disappointed on squat and deads. 140 would've been there on my squat, and I should've nailed 155 on the deads.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
I was funny, someone actually told me I look like a marathon runner....
(I DID run marathons years ago!)

Still, disappointed on squat and deads. 140 would've been there on my squat, and I should've nailed 155 on the deads.

man, don't torture yourself. You did great, it was your first meet with that fed so you didn't know all the rules, judging etc... you've come back with a total and that's a PR in itself. Now you know more about competing and about yourself, next time you'll kick some serious ass.

_ROBERTiNHO_

_ROBERTiNHO_

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great reporting man!

Regarding the squat: keep your knees out!

Yeah, bulk up to 75kg, you're very tall for the 67's, myself with 1,68m am a bit tall too.

Can't wait to my meet!

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks Rob!

Yeah, I always have a problem with knees caving in when I go below parallel. I'll work on that. 168cm? Damn! I'm around 176cm or so.

FYI, I expect a FULL write up of your meet as well. (and to see you win it!)

Last edited:
_ROBERTiNHO_

_ROBERTiNHO_

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks Rob!

Yeah, I always have a problem with knees caving in when I go below parallel. I'll work on that. 168cm? Damn! I'm around 176cm or so.

FYI, I expect a FULL write up of your meet as well. (and to see you win it!)

Sure I'll do.

In the squat you could point out your toes a little more, could help you.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Great reporting man!

Yeah, bulk up to 75kg, you're very tall for the 67's, myself with 1,68m am a bit tall too.

Can't wait to my meet!

Holy shit, I'm 168cm too... and +90kgs!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Great reporting man!

Can't wait to my meet!

_ROBERTiNHO_

_ROBERTiNHO_

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

****, you're short, haha, I tought you're taller. Belyaev's frame BTW, he seems short too, no more than 170cm for sure.
And yeah, I'm, skinny, I know.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I think Belyaev's even shorter than us. :tongue:

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A lot of short people in this log....lol