Muscle Building Community

Support MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Forums and Visit Our Muscle Sponsors

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation youngmusclejock's Avatar
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Unregistered..

You show me where it states that the human body can process that much protein? As Tim said you sound like a damn MuscleTech Ad! If anything protein should be based on LBM, LEAN BODY MASS... Not total body weight.. I hear countless times well I weight about 200 well fat ass what is your LBM ( not directed towards you or anyone on this board but in general. ) If you need scientific studies than I will dig some up. But each person is different and process marco nutrients differently than others, that is why we have many diet and some work for some and other don't. You will see countless DIET GURU's saying different' things. Just for you to claim that a person needs to base their protein needs of total body weight is ridiculous.

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation The_KM's Avatar
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

ahh protein bars. Fuck 'em to be honest, their filled with garbage you don't need.

Anymore than protein than 1g/lb of bodyweight seems wasteful to me, BULKING. If you're not gaining weight then rearrange your remaining macros. Carbs and fats are most likely unstable. Carbs themselves are protein sparing.

Protein synthesis can only happen so fast. Not all protein is used for muscle growth and repair. The excess will be either converted to pyruvate and then to glucose or it can be broken down to Aceytl CoA: which can only be used for energy or stored as fat. Some may argue it's used for something (ATP) but that is not protein's main purpose.

I agree, advertisers make it seem like more protein = more growth. For some, that may work, but scientifically speaking that's not usually the case.

To the orginial poster:

I'm a highschool student myself! Don't stress out. Life's life. Eat what you can at your lunch period then make it up when you get out, eating every 2 hours. Quite simply. Eat a large breakfest, maybe even with a casein protein source, eat at lunch then eat directly when you get home. May not be evenly spaced....but it works!

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation tim290280's Avatar
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

^^ Wow an intelligent high schooler!!

Most Helpful Member 2008
    December 2008 MOTM
    My Log - Join the Journey!
    Aussie Lift-Off

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation TJ's Avatar
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

I agree with Tim. High amounts of protein are over-rated. If I recall correctly the most amount of protein anyone should ever need is 1.6g per kg of body weight (and this was elite level athletes). Just make sure you get some 3-4 servings of meat/poultry and a good amount of diary and keep your calories where they need to be to reach your goals.

EDIT: Also, I agree with The KM. There's really no need to eat every 2-3 hours. Just make sure your getting in whatever amount of calories you need to reach your goals every day.

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation The_KM's Avatar
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by tim290280 View Post
    ^^ Wow an intelligent high schooler!!
    haha thanks a lot bro.

Wolf, I agree. Try to include a larger portion of complete protein sources. Incomplete sources like that in grains, vegetables, potatoes, etc add up so make sure to include that also. Especially when bulking, most whole wheat slices of bread contain 4-5g of protein, so do 1 serving of rolled oats. The same goes around the board, when eating high amounts of these....it adds up quickly.

Tim, your interpertation of the paper is simly wrong.

You will note that the above abstract says that 2-3g/kg (the magic ~1g/lb) is regarded as unnecessary.
    No. The part you bolded says that there isn't convincing evidence that it's necessary, that is something totally diffrent from what you're saying, that it's unnecessary. Once again, their point basicly is: more protein may be benefical, so why not. There is no other way to read it.

I don't disagree with higher protein not being terrible for the body but if you look at the threads that the posts I linked came from you will see a much larger discussion from myself, Ironslave and Pickle.
    Are we talking about the same links? I didn't see any posts from a Pickle, and one post of a smiley and one post about increased energy intake from Ironslave.

Some of the issues we raised with high protein intake was the cost, the acid diet effect (body acidosis is not a good thing), plus the neglection of carbs in the diet. So the reality is that most people are actually getting more than enough protein in their diet and don't need the extra. What they need to do instead is make sure that they have a balanced intake of nutrients and a correct level of calories.
    The cost? I though we're talking about what was optimal for results, not what the most economical option. (and again, whey is damn cheap, if you're in a position where you can't affort that, my advice would be to quit training all together and get a (extra) job.
    Futhermore, I also disagree with the issues you bring up. Negletion of carbs? What do you even mean with that? There should be plenty of room left for carbs. And do you realize that most bulk carb foods are also highly acid forming? Rice and oats, the favorite bodybuilding carb choices are on top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by The_KM View Post
    Protein synthesis can only happen so fast.
    The whole point is to try to increase protein synthesis with additional protein intake. Maximal protein synthesis is not an absolute value that can't be influenced. What do you think that AAS do? More relevant, dietary factors like overfeeding in general or Leucine increase it as well.

PS. I'm extremly busy atm , and it's unlikely that I can/will visit the forum more than once maybe twice a week. So it might take a while before I respond to posts.

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Tim, your interpertation of the paper is simly wrong.
    I am guessing you are not a scientist then. I am also pretty certain you didn't read the entire paper. You might want to look into that.
    No. The part you bolded says that there isn't convincing evidence that it's necessary, that is something totally diffrent from what you're saying, that it's unnecessary. Once again, their point basicly is: more protein may be benefical, so why not. There is no other way to read it.
    Once again you have cherry picked the information. You are assuming that it is talking about BBing style high intakes, it was actually testing rates previously used to arrive at the accepted FDA and NSCA levels. These levels are quite low and it was talking about rates higher than that, the 1.2g/kg I was talking about. I don't know what is so hard to understand about this.
    Are we talking about the same links? I didn't see any posts from a Pickle, and one post of a smiley and one post about increased energy intake from Ironslave.
    No I'm deliberately fucking with you :dunnodude: Just read the whole threads not just those posts immediately around my post. Pickle actually posted a whole reference list for acidosis diets.
    The cost? I though we're talking about what was optimal for results, not what the most economical option. (and again, whey is damn cheap, if you're in a position where you can't affort that, my advice would be to quit training all together and get a (extra) job.
    Futhermore, I also disagree with the issues you bring up. Negletion of carbs? What do you even mean with that? There should be plenty of room left for carbs. And do you realize that most bulk carb foods are also highly acid forming? Rice and oats, the favorite bodybuilding carb choices are on top of the list.
    Cost: protein is more expensive kg/kg compared with carbs or fats. It is also more costly to process for energy which is what happens with higher rates of protein intake.
    Neglecting carbs: If you have X amount of calories to take in and you increase the protein intake you then have to decrease the other macros. Pretty simple maths that will lead to less carbs used for energy and more protein for burning.
    Acidosis: Is bad M'kay! A bbing diet is particularly bad for this hence the talk of it when people go off the deep end with high protein rates or the incorrect carb choices/balances.

Most Helpful Member 2008
    December 2008 MOTM
    Aussie Lift-Off

I am guessing you are not a scientist then. I am also pretty certain you didn't read the entire paper. You might want to look into that.
    MSc in Nutrition. Reading papers is what I do for a living (sports consultant).
    Drop the attitude, look into that

Once again you have cherry picked the information. You are assuming that it is talking about BBing style high intakes, it was actually testing rates previously used to arrive at the accepted FDA and NSCA levels. These levels are quite low and it was talking about rates higher than that, the 1.2g/kg I was talking about. I don't know what is so hard to understand about this.
    Once again?
    Cherry picked?
    This is the point where I should just stop because it's obvious that you're arguing from a egodefensive point.

Cost: protein is more expensive kg/kg compared with carbs or fats. It is also more costly to process for energy which is what happens with higher rates of protein intake.
    Neglecting carbs: If you have X amount of calories to take in and you increase the protein intake you then have to decrease the other macros. Pretty simple maths that will lead to less carbs used for energy and more protein for burning.
    Acidosis: Is bad M'kay! A bbing diet is particularly bad for this hence the talk of it when people go off the deep end with high protein rates or the incorrect carb choices/balances.
    Awsome, you just repeat all the points in your last post. So go re-read my post after that again.

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation TJ's Avatar
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Unregistered,

Was there a part in that study that said why higher amounts might be better? Most good scholarly journals end with a statement that "leaves the study open for further investigation" and it sounds like thats what that comment was about. Unless there was actual evidence to suggest higher amounts might be better within that study.

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation Napol3onator's Avatar
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Tim is awesome, I just have a feeling some day he's gonna tell me that curls are actually not the way to workout your biceps.lol

Team Coldplay
    Tonka for repost police!
    Chesticles: Chairman and CEO of REPOST POST CORPORATE.

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Napol3onator View Post
    Tim is awesome, I just have a feeling some day he's gonna tell me that curls are actually not the way to workout your biceps.lol
    If you have an overactive anterior deltoid a standard bicep curl won't achieve much

Oh but you were being insulting weren't you :jerkoff1: The reason I post here at all is to stop noobs and experienced guys alike falling into the same old traps that I fell into. The internet hasn't stopped the myths and poor information circulating, it has perpetuated it.

The evidence I provide is good solid science and not an ad off the back of a supplement container or Muscle and Fiction comic. The study I posted previously was a rather large review of the studies on how much protein we actually need. What it concluded was that most althletes get more than enough, and while higher rates haven't been shown to be detrimental to health (as long as other things oare observed), they recommend focussing on getting the nutrients, vitamins and fibre that most do lack (i.e. carb sources).

Most Helpful Member 2008
    December 2008 MOTM
    Aussie Lift-Off

• MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      musclemecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Powerlifting, Weight Training
      Supplements, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Bodybuilding Forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12