• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

How to get enough protein at school

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How to get your protein up while going to school. Does someone has some tips or ideas how I can get a reasonable amount of protein at school.

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
take a shaker with your protein mixed:wutyousay:
what do you mean? like get protein in a high school cafeteria? whats foods??

i just take zip locks with the servings i need ill usually take 2 baggies

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Something I can take along with me. I dont have and magnetron or oven at school and not the biggeste budget since I'm a student.

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Protein bars, shakes just use the water from the lunch room to fill them. Easy to store in your backpack. Also how much protein are you trying to get in a day?

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Suring my senior year of highschool the one thing I did was get sliced turkey and put it in a little baggy and put it in my pocket. I also would bring tuna packets the little 3 oz. ones and eat them in the bathroom cause I cant eat that in clsas.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
whey is easy. Protein bars are ok. Hit up the caf if your in college. I love my caf they always have great food and boiled eggs in the morning.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just pack your meals and take them with you, just means a bit more prep work.

But to be quite honest you don't actually need huge amounts of protein as much as you need decent food that won't have you eating just any old junk you can get from the cafeteria. You only need a max of 0.8g/kg of BW, so even at the touted 1g/lb you can still easily get this amount from your non-school meals.

U

Unregistered

Banned
You only need a max of 0.8g/kg of BW, so even at the touted 1g/lb you can still easily get this amount from your non-school meals.

I'm wondering where you got that number from Tim? 0.8g/kg of BW is too little, and definitatly not max. 1g/lb is good and 1,5 is probably even better. And when cutting I would recommended to go even higher.

Whey is so cheap and easy, getting your daily intake should be peanuts. Preparing your meals is an option too.

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm wondering where you got that number from Tim? 0.8g/kg of BW is too little, and definitatly not max. 1g/lb is good and 1,5 is probably even better. And when cutting I would recommended to go even higher.

Whey is so cheap and easy, getting your daily intake should be peanuts. Preparing your meals is an option too.

You are far from correct! The natural bodybuilder can only processs so much protein! Do you even have a clue what each macro nutrient is responisble for? Stop reading the muscletech ads!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I'm going with the whey suggestion. You can get it pretty cheap, especially off the internet. I wish I knew about protein when I was in highschool.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I wish I knew about protein when I was in highschool.

Are you like a hundred years old?

Edit: Dumb post thought you said you wish protein was out when you were in school :carduindisguise

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Are you like a hundred years old?

Nearly... the internet was only just out when I was in highschool and my parents didn't get it til my senior year. Sadly I never paid much attention the the bodybuilding mags and the newsagent's either. They were always too far away from the music section.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

From the scientific studies into the topic :dunnodude:

Your numbers sound more like the supplement company ads rather than what the literature states. Somewhere in my posts in this or the supplement section I posted a study about the actual numbers you need, I think the high ends where actually endurance athletes with 1.2-1.5g/kg (from memory).

I still stand by the idea that food prepared prior should cover whatever your protein needs are without any troubles. Even if you do take a shake for convenience it is overkill.

mgballa4life

mgballa4life

Somewhere in my posts in this or the supplement section I posted a study about the actual numbers you need

can u post the link? i wanna read up on that

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
can u post the link? i wanna read up on that
What? Am I the only one that can use the search function :disgust:

Try this http://www.musclemecca.com/showpost.php?p=239250&postcount=22
and this http://www.musclemecca.com/showpost.php?p=264495&postcount=5
not the actual study but has the reference and numbers in them.

There are plenty of studies out there as well that support the figures in these posts that I have subsequently read. Type in a search into google scholar or pubmed if you want.

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

i reckon best cheapest way to get in protien and carbs in high skool is tuna sandwiches, cant beat the classics haha :methman:

U

Unregistered

Banned
You are far from correct! The natural bodybuilder can only processs so much protein! Do you even have a clue what each macro nutrient is responisble for? Stop reading the muscletech ads!

Calm down on the attitude buddy.

Plz provide sources for your claims instead.

Somewhere in my posts in this or the supplement section I posted a study about the actual numbers you need, I think the high ends where actually endurance athletes with 1.2-1.5g/kg (from memory).

What? Am I the only one that can use the search function :disgust:

With all respect, but I'm not going to search through your post history because you posted about something before. If you have something to say in this topic, say it here, or link what you previously said.

There are plenty of studies out there as well that support the figures in these posts that I have subsequently read. Type in a search into google scholar or pubmed if you want.

Same as above. You might not do this intentionaly, and I might be the only one who feels this way, but to me this comes off like 'I know my shit and, I'm not gonna dig that shit up for you because I already know it to be true, you go search for it yoursef and see I'm right!'

If you want to back up your argument with sources, post the sources. If you don't want to do the extra work that is fine, but don't argument in a way that says: 'you're wrong, I'm right, because I've research backing me', without even showing it.

I was reading a recent review on metabolism and protein intake. I'm not sure how valid the reference was, but it had trials saying that around 1.6-1.7g/kg of BW was needed for athletes to maintain positive nitrogen status (Tipton and Wolfe 2004).

So gues how little protein that is in g/lb!!!!!!

1: J Sports Sci. 2004 Jan;22(1):65-79.Links
Protein and amino acids for athletes.Tipton KD, Wolfe RR.
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Shriner's Hospital for Children, 815 Market Street, Galveston, TX 77550, USA. ktipton@utmb.edu

The main determinants of an athlete's protein needs are their training regime and habitual nutrient intake. Most athletes ingest sufficient protein in their habitual diet. Additional protein will confer only a minimal, albeit arguably important, additional advantage. Given sufficient energy intake, lean body mass can be maintained within a wide range of protein intakes. Since there is limited evidence for harmful effects of a high protein intake and there is a metabolic rationale for the efficacy of an increase in protein, if muscle hypertrophy is the goal, a higher protein intake within the context of an athlete's overall dietary requirements may be beneficial. However, there are few convincing outcome data to indicate that the ingestion of a high amount of protein (2-3 g x kg(-1) BW x day(-1), where BW = body weight) is necessary. Current literature suggests that it may be too simplistic to rely on recommendations of a particular amount of protein per day. Acute studies suggest that for any given amount of protein, the metabolic response is dependent on other factors, including the timing of ingestion in relation to exercise and/or other nutrients, the composition of ingested amino acids and the type of protein.

PMID: 14971434 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Basicly their point was: higher protein might be better, so why not. Pretty much like what I said.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
With all respect, but I'm not going to search through your post history because you posted about something before. If you have something to say in this topic, say it here, or link what you previously said.

Same as above. You might not do this intentionaly, and I might be the only one who feels this way, but to me this comes off like 'I know my shit and, I'm not gonna dig that shit up for you because I already know it to be true, you go search for it yoursef and see I'm right!'

If you want to back up your argument with sources, post the sources. If you don't want to do the extra work that is fine, but don't argument in a way that says: 'you're wrong, I'm right, because I've research backing me', without even showing it.
I can understand where you are coming from BUT I have been a long time member of this board and its precursor and this is not the first time I have had this discussion. You could therefore see both my frustration in having to restate and repost facts again and again and again....... and also my lack of need to justify my facts as I have done so and have the history here to allow me some flexibility in this regard.

The reason for having so many threads still available is so that you can go back and search through similar threads to find answers before asking questions. What you are alluding too is that no-one should have to bother doing the searching and we should just get rid of the old threads because there isn't anything to be learnt there. Either that or you and I have to keep referring to our old posts again and again rather than posters being active learners instead of passive learners.

I think this last point is the point that grinds my gears the most :)methman: Family Guy reference FTW). I am not a passive learner and I find it annoying when others want to be so passive, essentially demanding information of you that they can't be bothered finding themselves.

1: J Sports Sci. 2004 Jan;22(1):65-79.Links
Protein and amino acids for athletes.Tipton KD, Wolfe RR.
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Shriner's Hospital for Children, 815 Market Street, Galveston, TX 77550, USA. ktipton@utmb.edu

The main determinants of an athlete's protein needs are their training regime and habitual nutrient intake. Most athletes ingest sufficient protein in their habitual diet. Additional protein will confer only a minimal, albeit arguably important, additional advantage. Given sufficient energy intake, lean body mass can be maintained within a wide range of protein intakes. Since there is limited evidence for harmful effects of a high protein intake and there is a metabolic rationale for the efficacy of an increase in protein, if muscle hypertrophy is the goal, a higher protein intake within the context of an athlete's overall dietary requirements may be beneficial. However, there are few convincing outcome data to indicate that the ingestion of a high amount of protein (2-3 g x kg(-1) BW x day(-1), where BW = body weight) is necessary. Current literature suggests that it may be too simplistic to rely on recommendations of a particular amount of protein per day. Acute studies suggest that for any given amount of protein, the metabolic response is dependent on other factors, including the timing of ingestion in relation to exercise and/or other nutrients, the composition of ingested amino acids and the type of protein.

PMID: 14971434 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Basicly their point was: higher protein might be better, so why not. Pretty much like what I said.
Um you have only read the abstract then? They ran through a lot of literature and their own study for the figures I quoted. When they say higher rates they are talking higher than the current FDA and NSCA recommendations for athletes, which are quite low. It is also not the only paper on the subject and all recommend somewhere between 0.8 and 1.2 g/kg with upper levels of 1.5. You will note that the above abstract says that 2-3g/kg (the magic ~1g/lb) is regarded as unnecessary.

I don't disagree with higher protein not being terrible for the body but if you look at the threads that the posts I linked came from you will see a much larger discussion from myself, Ironslave and Pickle. Some of the issues we raised with high protein intake was the cost, the acid diet effect (body acidosis is not a good thing), plus the neglection of carbs in the diet. So the reality is that most people are actually getting more than enough protein in their diet and don't need the extra. What they need to do instead is make sure that they have a balanced intake of nutrients and a correct level of calories.

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wow, thanks for the reply's and a great discussion

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Unregistered..

You show me where it states that the human body can process that much protein? As Tim said you sound like a damn MuscleTech Ad! If anything protein should be based on LBM, LEAN BODY MASS... Not total body weight.. I hear countless times well I weight about 200 well fat ass what is your LBM ( not directed towards you or anyone on this board but in general. ) If you need scientific studies than I will dig some up. But each person is different and process marco nutrients differently than others, that is why we have many diet and some work for some and other don't. You will see countless DIET GURU's saying different' things. Just for you to claim that a person needs to base their protein needs of total body weight is ridiculous.