• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

100 meter sprint training

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
After a few years of training on and off I decided it was time for a change. I have to commit to something and train exclusively for that besides doing 6 weeks of bulking than jumping right into the survival run mode or mountainbike challenges and go back to weightlifting again. I wanna be good at what I do, not mediocore at a lot of stuff. So Ive made my choice. I'm gonna compete in the 60m and 100m sprints. This allows me to train with weights (which I really like) and do a sport with a competitive nature. So I signed up at a local Track & field club to train for the 100m sprint. I'm gonna start in about 3 weeks but I want some info because, to be honest I really dont know how to start or what to do.
I would like some info on sprinting websites/coaches/books/ebooks/routines etc. Just gatharing as much info as I can get.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Kelly Baget wrote some stuff on it and vertical leap training I believe.

I think that the only preparation you can do is practice sprinting to get some fitness for the training. Maybe move to more power work with the weights. The coaches there will have all sorts of things they will want to fix with your stride pattern and your weaknesses. Let alone any power and strength work.

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Im trying to post some stuff but it wont let me.

WaveRider

WaveRider

After a few years of training on and off I decided it was time for a change. I have to commit to something and train exclusively for that besides doing 6 weeks of bulking than jumping right into the survival run mode or mountainbike challenges and go back to weightlifting again. I wanna be good at what I do, not mediocore at a lot of stuff. So Ive made my choice. I'm gonna compete in the 60m and 100m sprints. This allows me to train with weights (which I really like) and do a sport with a competitive nature. So I signed up at a local Track & field club to train for the 100m sprint. I'm gonna start in about 3 weeks but I want some info because, to be honest I really dont know how to start or what to do.
I would like some info on sprinting websites/coaches/books/ebooks/routines etc. Just gatharing as much info as I can get.

I hope it goes well. But don't beat your self up if it doesn't work out.

I don't know what your aspirations are or how old you are but sometimes the best thing to keep you motivated is to find something that you love. Then compliment it with weight training. To many people want to be "good" or the "best" and waste a lot of there hard earn't free time and money.

Sometimes it just isn't worth it to take it to the next level:dunnodude:

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Defranco's WS4SB has an in-season trainings program, you could try that out.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
tonyk: Good find on those vids.... but I think that this is a little pointless. Philo is talking about getting into a coaching environment where there will be these sorts of drills being taught not just described. Going in and trying to learn them off of a video before hand won't really help and could actually hinder development.

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
tonyk: Good find on those vids.... but I think that this is a little pointless. Philo is talking about getting into a coaching environment where there will be these sorts of drills being taught not just described. Going in and trying to learn them off of a video before hand won't really help and could actually hinder development.

I understand but he said he wanted any kind of help. I figured he could do some of these at home or just on his own practice. He will most likely be taught these but if he isnt then more drills for him :xyxthumbs:

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I hope it goes well. But don't beat your self up if it doesn't work out.

I don't know what your aspirations are or how old you are but sometimes the best thing to keep you motivated is to find something that you love. Then compliment it with weight training. To many people want to be "good" or the "best" and waste a lot of there hard earn't free time and money.

Sometimes it just isn't worth it to take it to the next level:dunnodude:

I know I cant be a Tyson gay or a Maurice Green but if you wanne be good at something you have to specialize yourself. If I can compete at a descent national level I would be more than happy. But well see how it turns out, atm I first need to build a solid base to start with.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I train a lot of athletes here at my work with the Parisi Speed School we have as a part of Gold's and there are really a whole lot of different exercises we use to work on speed and agility. I usually like to train with some explosion days, some endurance days, and some heavy days. I dont know how familiar you are with crossfit training, but I like to incorporate this type of training quite often. Really a great mix of everything and you can usually expect vomit and snot bubbles :crymeariver: I included a video of some crossfit testing "fight gone bad" that is just a brutal full body workout I like to do with my athletes sometimes, just to give you an example. I dont think this should be the gist of your training but it would definately be productive to incorporate.

Some parachute runs or band sprints would be good to incorporate as well. The 60 meter especially and even the 100 meter to an extent are both going to be mostly anaerobic by nature so resistance training would most definately be befificial as a large part of your program.

Last edited by a moderator:
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ive used crossfit a few months back with great results. Overall conditioning went up pretty quick. I like crossfit style workouts thought I think this is too general again. Crossfit is about beeing good at several disceplines, I only wanna be good at sprinting.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Okay I see. I will try to find a version of our speed protocol that I can post up for you.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good post Creator!

I'm still not a fan of crossfit, especially seeing some of those high pulls!

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Crossfit is great for just that.... fitness across a wide variety of areas. It would not be very specific though for sprint training.

Charlie Francis' "Speed Trap" is probably good, but i can't track it down for free.

warpig

warpig

do you have a 100 m goal? like sub 11 second?

try out the 400 m... its sprint and endurance all rolled up into one,

its awesome!

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
do you have a 100 m goal? like sub 11 second?

try out the 400 m... its sprint and endurance all rolled up into one,

its awesome!

While I completely agree that 400m sprints are awesome....

he is training to compete as an athlete in 100m races. Thus, this doesn't really apply.

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Philo did you already designed a workout routine?

Banshee20

Banshee20

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Some parachute runs or band sprints would be good to incorporate as well. The 60 meter especially and even the 100 meter to an extent are both going to be mostly anaerobic by nature so resistance training would most definately be befificial as a large part of your program.
If you have someone to train with, I absolutely agree with the parachute runs and band sprints. I was introduced to these by my strength and conditioning coaches in college and saw my speed improve measurably. Box jumps and things of that nature also seem to increase performance as well. (Just speaking from my own experience, no research to back it up at the moment.)

And, I'm sure that this is stating the obvious, but a lot of form work and active, sport specific stretching will help as well.

And btw Philo, I totally understand what you mean about dabbling in so many things that you are good in all of them, but not awesome at one. I need to pick something to focus on too I think!