• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Congradulations to Essa Hassan-Obaid, Arnold Amateur Champion

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i know little on tanning products, but i`m european too and i`ve been to the nabba world (i`m imagine they dont just buy the first brand they find) among other local competitions.
Wow an expert then :bitelip:
The pictures dont lie,
So lighting, skin tone, oil type, number of coats, etc wouldn't have any influence?

in europe that copper plated/ bronze look is very common. Check out the european bodybuilding competitions and you`ll see they almost all have it.
Check out an american competition.. not one has it!
So whether they have access to it or not, they all tend to use the bronze thing.
So wouldn't have anything to do with the higher proportion of pale Europeans under lighting?? Your just taking a guess that it is the tanning product and not the lighting, skin type, the oil or any other possible explanation???

so buzz off :talkhand:
Speak nicely to me. You want to make a broad generalisation with no actual knowledge, rather than asking a question, then expect to get pulled up on it.

I'd actually like to hear from competitors from Europe, like JB on what they think the colouring difference is due to. I'd guess it is a mix of things, like skin type and lighting, maybe even the most common fake tan.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
^ You should trademark " :bitelip: " lol

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'd actually like to hear from competitors from Europe, like JB on what they think the colouring difference is due to. I'd guess it is a mix of things, like skin type and lighting, maybe even the most common fake tan.

Well the most commonly used tanning products used here (Denmark) are Dream-Tan (1 and 2) and Pro-Tan. Some people use only one or the other and others tend to mix them together. Again others use different products it all depends on what you like. The only thing that really ruins it if you put too much/thick tan on as it tends to blur out your cuts and smaller details.

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wow an expert then :bitelip:

So lighting, skin tone, oil type, number of coats, etc wouldn't have any influence?

So wouldn't have anything to do with the higher proportion of pale Europeans under lighting?? Your just taking a guess that it is the tanning product and not the lighting, skin type, the oil or any other possible explanation???

Speak nicely to me. You want to make a broad generalisation with no actual knowledge, rather than asking a question, then expect to get pulled up on it.

you can yap about lighting, skin tone all day long. they all look the same, check out the guy of the arnold amateur,hes a very dark guy, compare him to everyone in the pictures i posted. you can see they all have more or less used the same tanning products and have more or less the same bronzeish copper plated look

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
check the comparison pics of the arnold amateur.. there is one guy who is very dark, rest all display that bronzeish look

honestly.. if you can see it you need glasses. or to try and swallow the fact that i am right.. i wouldnt be surprised if you didnt sleep until you somehow tried to prove me wrong, which you cannot

so lemme recap > tans used in europe/asia > ugly. Its very common in EU AND asia, but not common in US. Overwhelming majority have the very similar bronze/copper plated looks

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
check the comparison pics of the arnold amateur.. there is one guy who is very dark, rest all display that bronzeish look

honestly.. if you can see it you need glasses. or to try and swallow the fact that i am right.. i wouldnt be surprised if you didnt sleep until you somehow tried to prove me wrong, which you cannot

No one is arguing that the color is bronze.

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
yes and they all have a very similar look. which i proved with various photos consisting of various bodybuilders from different countries (so IE different skin tone) in different competitions.

Have i convinced you tim or its still a no?

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Check out this line up of the Eastern European Championships

Last edited by a moderator:
Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
that was my joke.. :bball:

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If done correctly i think the bronze look is fine...but it can be over done. That first guy's color chewie posted looks good to me

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
As I posted before here, their color is perfect.

F

Freak

Chewie what's so bad abut dream tan? Oh and btw it's not a European product, I believe it's made in the States. If applied correctly it looks absolutely fine. I've used it for all my shows, it's very convenient and easy to apply. It looks a bit shitty when a lot of it is applied, you start looking like an oily pig. In regards to European competitors I can tell you one thing, I'm from Ukraine ( 11 years in Canada) and I know a lot of competitors from Ukraine and Russia and do you know why they don't use anything other than dream tan? Because that's the only thing available to them. I was curious about it myself so I asked a few guys and that's what they've told me. Nobody gets scored down for using it, unlike IFBB pros, so why not use it? I used it for all my shows here in Canada as well, but I also pre tanned and applied a few coats of pro tan prior, so I wouldn't have to applly a thick coat of dream tan and I looked fine. There's nothing wrong with it.

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Chewie what's so bad abut dream tan? Oh and btw it's not a European product, I believe it's made in the States. If applied correctly it looks absolutely fine. I've used it for all my shows, it's very convenient and easy to apply. It looks a bit shitty when a lot of it is applied, you start looking like an oily pig. In regards to European competitors I can tell you one thing, I'm from Ukraine ( 11 years in Canada) and I know a lot of competitors from Ukraine and Russia and do you know why they don't use anything other than dream tan? Because that's the only thing available to them. I was curious about it myself so I asked a few guys and that's what they've told me. Nobody gets scored down for using it, unlike IFBB pros, so why not use it? I used it for all my shows here in Canada as well, but I also pre tanned and applied a few coats of pro tan prior, so I wouldn't have to applly a thick coat of dream tan and I looked fine. There's nothing wrong with it.

You see that tim? Its the only thing available!

Compared to the tans used in the US it is very ugly. the US ones actually look like a tan of some sort, whilst the one we are talking about looks they are made out of copper

copperplate-1.jpg

copperplating5-1.jpg

that is all

F

Freak

Compared to the tans used in the US it is very ugly. the US ones actually look like a tan of some sort, whilst the one we are talking about looks they are made out of copper

copperplate-1.jpg

copperplating5-1.jpg

that is all
Just one white man's opinion, like Ronnie says.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Strange, JB is from Europe and he said both were available. That means of the two posts from competitors in Europe you are siding with the one that agrees with you and ignoring the one that disagrees. :bitelip:

Also I never argued that they didn't look golden. I argued that you were making a sweeping statement based on no solid information. As a pale bastard myself I know that fake tans react differently to my skin than others (yellow, orange, gold, brown have all come from the same bottle from people I've seen). You wanted to make a sweeping statement without even asking the question as to why they are golden.

As I stated previously I'd like to hear from more competitors as to whether it is just the tanning product brand, and whether it is the only one available.

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Man, I don't mind that golden look. Some guys come up on stage all orange. Or worse, red! See, being black is the best kind of tan. Because, well, you don't need a tan. :cool:

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's highly unlikely that the only thing available in Ukraine is one Dream-Tan version (despite of what Freak said).

Yeah Jay Cutler's red tan the past few years has been amazing. :umwtf: As Beau (and others) said there is nothing with the bronze look as long as you don't over do it and put on a too thick of a layer, and that goes for all tannings products.
A couple of BB's on the ASC stage had too much oil on, (Kai Greene was one of them) which also ruins the look since too much oil will reflect the light make them look shiny..

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with JB, Beau, MVSF1, and Johnny about the tans.

What does the winner of the Arnold Amateur get?

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the chance to compete in the pro competition assuming he can obtain a pro card

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
A couple of BB's on the ASC stage had too much oil on, (Kai Greene was one of them) which also ruins the look since too much oil will reflect the light make them look shiny..

Just saw the final character for the Super Street Fighter 4 roster and it reminded me of what you said about oil lol

Apparantly he is a middle easterner who drenches himself in oil before fighting :rofl3:

superstreetfighteriv20100309115620528-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: