• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Jay Cutler's - New Wheels

buzzkill44

buzzkill44

i said who are you. are you a judge? are you a pro? have you ever worked out with jay? your just a guy who works out and thinks he trains like a badass. quit trying to make excuses and saying pro's are 100% genetics. were they always pro's?

buzzkill44

buzzkill44

Let them speak Phil, Jay is Mr. O and they are just talkers, who's the people going to remember, Jay or some talker on a web board?
ROTFL at normal people trying to teach a 3 time Mr. O how to train legs.It's not the weight, it's how u use it, that grants you a result.

ha exactly.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i want to see people replying now to phil :bitelip:

Sure, I'll reply to Phil. He's a top 5 bodybuilder in the world so his opinion has to count for something, but he's also a member of the forum. Besides, I don't think for a second that Phil has such an inferiority complex where he thinks that his (or anybody's) opinion is gospel, and there's nothing wrong with discussion. He's a regular guy (in fact, seems much more down to earth than most pros, especially evident that he is willing to post here on Mecca), and I think even he would agree that it's pretty silly that fanboys (Maxmonzter, fdelval, mvsf1, HeavyWeight86, buzzkill44) just come in and hang off his every word because of who he is.

you guys fail to realize that lifting heavier than someone may not necessary guarantee size. I knew guys who played bball in college that could squat 4plates for reps and had horrible leg development. Trust me, Jay has gone extremely heavy before and many who claim they're so badass should try and train with him sometime because they'd lose their lunch. I guess we have to admit that some people are just more genetically gifted than others.

Well, it does and it doesn't. First, there's the issue of genetics, obviously Phil is known for his mutant genetics, while Jay has some pretty incredible genetics as well (especially being blessed with great leg shape). The guy who squatted 4 plates for reps didn't have the same genetics for muscle size and shape (but then again, how many people in the world do have the same genetics as Jay?) Plus, there are numerous other factors as well,

Jay's legs have NOT improved in the past few years size at all (while his upper body has improved massively). Look at the difference from the 1999 Olympia, and the 2009 Olympia

PavolJablonickyandJayCutleratthe1999MrOl-1.jpg

As you can see, there is very little, if any, size difference over a 10 year period, if anything they might be smaller now. (However, his leg "detail" is MUCH better but this is entirely due to him being just so damn lean and dry here in 2009, plus maybe subtle differences in "muscle majority" just from years of lifting which packs more sarcomeres in the area).

Why haven't his legs gotten any better really over TEN YEARS, yet the rest of his upper body has exploded? I'm willing to bet any money he's pushed his upper body that much harder over 10 years than he has his lower body, and specifically he's a lot stronger in his chest/back/arm exercises than he was 10 years ago... but why does this matter?

Well, there are essentially 3 main factors responsible for muscle hypertrophy after muscle injury (weight lifting) to complete the repair process. First, satellite cells (which are formed from differentiation from stem cells) fuse and form something called myoblasts. Second, myoblasts fuse and then bind to injured muscle tissue, while also donating nuclei and affecting the formation of new muscle fibers, third, typical muscle protein synthesis in the "traditional sense" (DNA- mRNA- protein) occurs. (1)

This process is HIGHLY dependent on local growth factors, but formation of these growth factors is influenced by higher loads. To quote (2)
"Skeletal muscle stem (satellite) cells supporting growth/regeneration are thought to be activated and incorporated into growing myofibers by both endocrine and locally expressed autocrine/paracrine growth factors, the latter being load sensitive."

In other words, in order to continue the hypertrophy process, one MUST keep emphasizing progressive overload. Obviously, for bodybuilding purposes I'm not advocating powerlifting style lifts where someone does high weight for a few reps and low volume, but rather it is key that the person keep overloading in a particular rep range.

So, giving the example of Jay Cutler, it's not much surprise that his legs have hardly changed over the last 10 years, because he's still squatting 365 for 10-12 reps or whatever. For Phil, who I know trains FST-7, the whole "pump" process does produce a lot of the signals for muscle hypertrophy (inflamation, muscle damage, waste products, and so forth)... but I guarantee you, nothing will increase your muscle size more than progressive overload.

In other words, say for example your current squat is 500 x 12 reps, and your current bench is 450x 10 reps, and your current curl is 185 x 10 reps (just pulling these numbers out of this air)... if you were to bring your squat to 650 x 12 reps, bench to 550 x 10 reps, and curl to 225 x 10 reps, then you WILL have bigger legs, chest, and biceps.

1) Anderson, J. The satellite cell as a companion in skeletal muscle plasticity: currency, conveyance, clue, connector and colander. The Journal of Experimental Biology 209, 2276-2292.

2) Petrella JK, Kim JS, Cross JM, Kosek DJ, Bamman MM.
Efficacy of myonuclear addition may explain differential myofiber growth among resistance-trained young and older men and women.
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2006 Nov;291(5):E937-46.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
Although I have the utmost respect for Phil's opinion and achievements, we all know that pros are not the best source as examples or info for many reasons. They have far superior genetics than others, supps, and revolve their whole lives around bodybuilding. Given these 3 main factors he can do smith squats and grow but that doesn't argue with the fact that you should do free weight squats over smith. The point of training is optimizing your time in the gym and getting the most out of your training so you can go about your every day life. Free weight squats > smith squats.

I guess we are all just use to Ronnie Coleman training like a beast, then you have Jay doing this workout as his "hardest training ever" and "new wheels" :doh:

I'm with Braaq here, c'mon the guy is going to grow no matter what equipment he uses..
the genetics are there, the dedication, the meals, the supps, the other supps.

But that is not for everyone! i assure you common guy that is not a pro bb and does not share the same amount of resources that you will grow more if you optimize your gym time with free weights and natural movements.. that includes the deadlift, the squat, bench.. and others that are not crappy piece of machine.

I'm sure that Phil agrees that free weight squat works better than a smith one , at least it has more muscles involved (balance ones.. and so on..), but that is going to be like 0.05% factor in his leg development cause he has everything else mentioned above.. they hurt your back more? I used to say that but i am squatting properlly now that is not a problem anymore..I understand that for a guy that has his carreer built around lifting weights an injury comes into play has a major factor and years of training does leave some bruises in the body.
they are a freakin difficult exercise to do free weight ?; YES ; but that is why they are so freakin awesome too!

but hey 0.05% is 0.05%.. just saying..

buzzkill44

buzzkill44

Sure, I'll reply to Phil. He's a top 5 bodybuilder in the world so his opinion has to count for something, but he's also a member of the forum. Besides, I don't think for a second that Phil has such an inferiority complex where he thinks that his (or anybody's) opinion is gospel, and there's nothing wrong with discussion. He's a regular guy (in fact, seems much more down to earth than most pros, especially evident that he is willing to post here on Mecca), and I think even he would agree that it's pretty silly that fanboys (Maxmonzter, fdelval, mvsf1, HeavyWeight86, buzzkill44) just come in and hang off his every word because of who he is.

ha we are fan boys! if phil came on here and said you can only do atg squats to get big legs. i would say bullshit. he came on and said do what works best for you. do you understand that? YOURSELF! that's why he's a pro he knows what works best for his body. keep quoting articles that's great you can read. good for you.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
ha we are fan boys! if phil came on here and said you can only do atg squats to get big legs. i would say bullshit. he came on and said do what works best for you. do you understand that? YOURSELF! that's why he's a pro he knows what works best for his body. keep quoting articles that's great you can read. good for you.

this discussion was a good one.. don't blew it..

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Yet, I have demonstrated that what Jay's been doing for the last 10 years for his lower body has NOT worked, his legs have barely changed and if anything regressed, so what's there to get?

Also, what I cited are not "articles", they are scientific papers. The human body works according to science, so yes, while there are some individual differences between person to person, they are pretty damn small.

buzzkill44

buzzkill44

i'll just shut up and be a fanboy.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Smith machine = bad for joints.

Plus it is kinda lame. Hey watch me squat 350lb that has been counterbalanced and doesn't require any balance and coordination on my part :gayaway:

Real squats are hard, it is the reason why they are the king of exercises.

NEWS FLASH... Jay is Bodybuilder not Powerlifter he is supposed to comeup with the best possible physique and how he achieves that is rather irrevlievent!
Hers a suggestion to make your workout a bit more "UNlame"...Put a 10 pound plate in your mouth while squating and juggle two tennis balss too while you are at it too... because theres more balance involved you'll be a cool dude at your gym ... and also send a letter to IFBB demanding you be handed some sort of a title because your squats arent lame!:footmouth:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
NEWS FLASH... Jay is Bodybuilder not Powerlifter he is supposed to comeup with the best possible physique and how he achieves that is rather irrevlievent!
Hers a suggestion to make your workout a bit more "UNlame"...Put a 10 pound plate in your mouth while squating and juggle two tennis balss too while you are at it too... because theres more balance involved you'll be a cool dude at your gym ... and also send a letter to IFBB demanding you be handed some sort of a title because your squats arent lame!:footmouth:

Actually, it's pretty established that instability squats affect muscle force pretty massively thus defeating the benefit of the exercise, so your attempt to incorrectly make a point fails hard... nice try though.

For the record, I don't have as much of a cut/dry stance on the smith machine as Tim does. I've used it myself and I find it to be pretty effective for being able to really isolate the force on the muscle as opposed to the joint. (specifically, I like smith military presses, even bench press variations aren't that bad). As unfair as it is, using the mega poundage that top level bodybuilders do isn't "good" for the joints. Yet, it's the price to pay which is necessary to achieve success.

Need an example of this? Look at Ronnie Coleman. The guy trained his ass off, got freakishly strong with 800 lb deadlifts, 500+ pound bench press for high reps, close to 1000lb squats for reps and what, 2500+ leg press for high reps, and everything else he did. With those kind of poundages (and great genetics for building muscle and having good muscle shape), is it ANY surprise that he was the biggest and best bodybuilder in history? However, over time it caught up to him and the injuries took their toll.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in order for someone to be THEIR absolute best, they need to train both hard and smart. In order for a bodybuilder to keep adding muscle, they need to train hard and progressively heavier (like Ronnie did). But at the same time, when you push your body to that limit, you run the risk of injury and need to take steps to limit that risk. This of course means giving the body some time to rest, heal up and have "planned deloading" periods in order to allow the joints to recuperate.

But, if you train like a sissy all the time, you won't make progress. (ie, Jay's legs compared to his upper body, everything on Dennis Wolf over the past few years, Flex Wheeler hardly progressing over his career, and countless other examples).

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think that is a matter of opinion and personal preference, as I've had success with both. However, I've been using the smith more recently and it hasn't hurt my back and knees as much as free squats have.

Phil I have a lot of respect for what yourself and the other pros put yourself through. But I will disagree that it is personal preference. It may be personal preference as to whether you are willing to sacrifice your joints/health/etc, but it isn't personal opinion or preference that it happens and is a bad example for the general training population. I do agree with your statement about Jay's training weights, the weight is going to be relative to your personal efforts, not someone else's.

The biomechanics of the smith machine squat are such that you change the force distribution. There are already stresses on the joints from the squat, but these are amplified when you are locked to a set plane of motion. The only study I have seen on forces in the smith machine squat showed transfer of forces and movement patterns to compensate for the fixed plane of motion. When this is related to the studies on squatting styles and the forces at the joints (referring to the wider stance shifting 1000x the forces from the knees to the hips) you can see what we are dealing with. With a smaller less stabile joint like the shoulder this is even more pronounced.

Now I'm not saying that you can't use a smith machine, but I am saying that for full ROM exercises (exceptions would be lockouts, possibly lunges, possibly shoulder presses) are having to transfer a lot of force as shear stresses. Shearing forces will catch up with the joints eventually. Now using them occassionally is fine, but there are better exercises.

In your own example you state that you have had less knee and back problems. How much of that is due to a possibly counterbalanced bar, or the transfer of force to the hip with less movement of the spine, or a change in the load, or something else? My point is that I'm not relying on personal opinion but on objective measurements. Ironslave is right that I am a bit cut and dried about this, and this is due to my light frame and how poorly I handle bad exercises. Others will tolerate them more or for longer, but it catches up eventually (you would be familiar with the older athletes comments about their shoulders, knees, back, etc).

Maxmonzter said:
^^booya tim how do you like them apples!!
Ari you would do well to not comment.

Pakiman said:
I agree and disagree. The price you pay for greatness can ultimately decide your standing in regard to other champions. But considering Jay has had the imbalance between his legs for years now, you would think he would address it. Maybe him spending less time on machines and doing some single leg stuff would be a benefit :bitelip:

But that is completely irrelevant to my point. Jay is shown training, and people are remarking on how tough and hard it is. My point is that this is like reading a pro routine from Muscle and Fiction. We don't see all of the sets, we don't see the other training session that day, we don't understand how hard it is to train when you are that lean, etc. What we see is a guy "promoting" an exercise that most people will get little benefit from and probably do more damage to themselves than a good old fanshioned free weight ATG squat.

Pakiman said:
Hers a suggestion to make your workout a bit more "UNlame"...Put a 10 pound plate in your mouth while squating and juggle two tennis balss too while you are at it too... because theres more balance involved you'll be a cool dude at your gym ... and also send a letter to IFBB demanding you be handed some sort of a title because your squats arent lame!
:rofl3:
Make your excuses for not squatting properly somewhere else please. I would also like to point out I don't appreciate attacks on myself or others on this board :bball:

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tim290280 again.

Well said broseidon.

fallen

fallen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the video was ok, as far as all the other i like to use both but as far as a machine goes when i do use one it is set to move back and forth as well as up and down. its not just locked in place

TheGift

TheGift

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Phil I have a lot of respect for what yourself and the other pros put yourself through. But I will disagree that it is personal preference. It may be personal preference as to whether you are willing to sacrifice your joints/health/etc, but it isn't personal opinion or preference that it happens and is a bad example for the general training population. I do agree with your statement about Jay's training weights, the weight is going to be relative to your personal efforts, not someone else's.

The biomechanics of the smith machine squat are such that you change the force distribution. There are already stresses on the joints from the squat, but these are amplified when you are locked to a set plane of motion. The only study I have seen on forces in the smith machine squat showed transfer of forces and movement patterns to compensate for the fixed plane of motion. When this is related to the studies on squatting styles and the forces at the joints (referring to the wider stance shifting 1000x the forces from the knees to the hips) you can see what we are dealing with. With a smaller less stabile joint like the shoulder this is even more pronounced.

Now I'm not saying that you can't use a smith machine, but I am saying that for full ROM exercises (exceptions would be lockouts, possibly lunges, possibly shoulder presses) are having to transfer a lot of force as shear stresses. Shearing forces will catch up with the joints eventually. Now using them occassionally is fine, but there are better exercises.

In your own example you state that you have had less knee and back problems. How much of that is due to a possibly counterbalanced bar, or the transfer of force to the hip with less movement of the spine, or a change in the load, or something else? My point is that I'm not relying on personal opinion but on objective measurements. Ironslave is right that I am a bit cut and dried about this, and this is due to my light frame and how poorly I handle bad exercises. Others will tolerate them more or for longer, but it catches up eventually (you would be familiar with the older athletes comments about their shoulders, knees, back, etc).

Ari you would do well to not comment.

I agree and disagree. The price you pay for greatness can ultimately decide your standing in regard to other champions. But considering Jay has had the imbalance between his legs for years now, you would think he would address it. Maybe him spending less time on machines and doing some single leg stuff would be a benefit :bitelip:

But that is completely irrelevant to my point. Jay is shown training, and people are remarking on how tough and hard it is. My point is that this is like reading a pro routine from Muscle and Fiction. We don't see all of the sets, we don't see the other training session that day, we don't understand how hard it is to train when you are that lean, etc. What we see is a guy "promoting" an exercise that most people will get little benefit from and probably do more damage to themselves than a good old fanshioned free weight ATG squat.

:rofl3:
Make your excuses for not squatting properly somewhere else please. I would also like to point out I don't appreciate attacks on myself or others on this board :bball:

All I am saying is that I've done both free and smith and the later recently has caused less stress. I did not say anything about one being better than the other so I do not understand how I giving a bad example for the general population. If one machine or free weight exercise works for you over another, then great, that was my point. Just FYI, just got a text from Cuts a couple days ago and he did free weight squats. Can we move on to something better because we will go in circles with this topic no matter what.
I say you guys email Jay personally and see what he thinks. Overall, free weights create a better look, but come at a price sometimes. Ok, enough of me talking about this, I've gotta fix my Wife's computer...gotta put my IT degree to work!

Later!

Phil

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
I think jay might "ruin" bodybuilding the way Coleman did. If he continues to come in the way he did this year, There is no chance in hell anyone is going to beat him UNLESS they put on enough size to be comparable. The "size game" ended when ronnie retired but jay is bringing it back. I love the freaks but guys like Phil and Kai will end up ruining their physiques if they blow up quickly to have comparable size to jay.

Dont get me wrong, Coleman is the shit. IMO Ronnie at the 2001 ASC is the greatest physique in history but im glad he did the impossible when he was the unbeatable beast in 2003. But look at all the other bodybuilders that went to shit trying to compete with the big boys.

Jay is absolutely freakishly wide that the only people who dont look small next to him are the tall guys.. And we saw the dissapointment wolf has been turning out to be.