• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Line's Top 100 Films of All Time

Are You Interested In Line Including Write Ups For Each Film?

• Total voters
Mygeeto

Mygeeto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Line, i was looking for Lord Of The Rings on your list and couldnt find it.
why is it not on your list, or are you in the midst of adding it?

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Does Tim Burton make the list at some point? OR is that just wishful thinking?

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Toy Story is great. What about Finding Nemo?
Finding Nemo is probably my second or third favorite Pixar film but it will not be making an appearance. Still very good though.
I've only listed the first twenty or so entries thus far so you'll just have to wait and see. ;)
Does Tim Burton make the list at some point? OR is that just wishful thinking?
He's probably the most overrated director working today. :food-snacking:

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
How so? Can you explain please? (I'm being genuine)
While he's a man that knows many aesthetics he struggles thematically with moving them away from faux-gothic tendencies and his pictures come off needlessly bleak and lacking of contextual imagery. Examples of him trying to couple this downfall are the colorfully overwrought suburbs in Edward Scissorhands and some of the landscaping in Big Fish. While the former sums of up suburbia all too cleanly and exaggeratedly (not quite as bad as 2006's Little Children though) the latter uses dire contrasting techniques in order to try to elicit more emotion than there is based on the material. Meanwhile, his other films tend to fulfill that same dreck-based palette of charred colors and moods that offer nothing worth scratching past the surface to find.

Ah, I just remembered Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which sucked. That's the thing, whenever Burton tries to harbor a new aesthetic he keeps the same attitude and it comes off as facetious and charmless.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

If its not... we must take Line and drag him through the streets!! :angrydude:

:49:

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks for the reply Line. :xyxthumbs:

Not trying to hi-jack this thread, so don't flame me on it.

But isn't the faux-goth style of direction a Burton signature? Hitchcock and many early, you could say "gothic-style" directors hadn't harbored the art of color until the the early 50's, late 40's. Do you think that if the Directors of Old had the color to elaborate and expand on, would they not have done work similar to Burton's? Take for example Sleepy Hollow, which has very dull and cold colors as the basis. While Sleepy Hollow isn't going to make my Top 10 Movies list any time soon, I do think of it as a kind of macabre look on society of that time. His adaptation to the Fairy Tale of Ichabod Crane and the Legend of Sleepy Hollow does show a step in his consistant career, no?

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Thanks for the reply Line. :xyxthumbs:

Not trying to hi-jack this thread, so don't flame me on it.

But isn't the faux-goth style of direction a Burton signature? Hitchcock and many early, you could say "gothic-style" directors hadn't harbored the art of color until the the early 50's, late 40's. Do you think that if the Directors of Old had the color to elaborate and expand on, would they not have done work similar to Burton's? Take for example Sleepy Hollow, which has very dull and cold colors as the basis. While Sleepy Hollow isn't going to make my Top 10 Movies list any time soon, I do think of it as a kind of macabre look on society of that time. His adaptation to the Fairy Tale of Ichabod Crane and the Legend of Sleepy Hollow does show a step in his consistant career, no?
I disagree with your assessment on the use of color in Sleepy Hollow but like the fact that you're thinking. I wouldn't necessarily label or compare the visual quality of Burton's look to that of older directors just coming to terms with colored photography, mostly because his is a modernized take on gray scale usage. The problem is that, aside from being a one trick pony, he doesn't expand on his "talents" from film to film and thus has already become a stagnant filmmaker in terms of progressionalism. He offers nothing new to the table and is just mimicking and duplicating what will sell to a demographic. It's nothing even close to art.

As for the actual film Sleepy Hollow, I'm not a fan. What I found to be an engaging retelling of a story when it was first released is now just another Hot Topicized Burton fairy tale which is overly dependent on amateurish motifs and cheap scare tactics.

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
From the Burton film's I've seen, Sleepy Hollow was my least favorite. That will probably change if I ever see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'd figure you'd like Ed Wood.

Thank you for the reply too Line.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I'd figure you'd like Ed Wood.

Thank you for the reply too Line.
It's one of the few of his films that I haven't seen, but will be getting around to it soon. :tiphat:

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
One thing I'll add for Beefcake is that I don't think all of Burton's films are horrible, I just don't think many are very groundbreaking or insightful. He does have some good films under his belt though, I just wouldn't put him in my top 50 directors or all time.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah. I'd put him in my top 100 for sure though.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
79bldy9-1.png

Stanley Kubrick, 1975

People as a whole have a tendency to improperly critique films such as this, where the grandeur and scope of directorial detailing outweighs the proper critical influences of one's cinephilic vision. Without the intention of overly generalizing, it's clear that many viewers largely ignore other cinematic influences and rely far too heavily on merely commending the filmmakers' efforts on a technical level which, for whatever reason, seems to be enough for some. As a whole, films of gross technical influences create less thematic discussion as the completion of it seems to be regarded as the most extraordinary achievement in itself. Putting all of this aside, yet still keeping it within arm's length of retaining, there are times when a film is produced that transcends even the grandest of standards in terms of dramatically epic themes and the appropriate attention given to all aspects beyond. Barry Lyndon is such a film.

The rise and fall tale of young Redmond Barry focuses on several aspects of humanity, even if the title character himself exhibits few qualities that we as humans would like to associate him with. Perhaps it's a personal reflection on my own part but the brass naivety and over-extending ambition of Barry is something worth noting, or at least examining. Far too often he's labeled as a terrible person and in end perhaps that is indeed what he becomes but there's something of the softening beauty of Kubrick's living art that provides a unique perspective in allowing one to see the metamorphic tendencies that accompany success. Though his intentions are always fueled by the id, he acts on these impulses with such strong conviction and unexposed innocence, at least at our tale's opening, that the audience is, in a way, being prodded to take note of how the outside stimuli will change this young man. Despite an awkward and most disapproving relationship early in the film he remains the full embodiment of the awkward fool throughout the remaining time, though the clarity and moral competence of his influences begins to shift drastically as even his fleshly desires stray from those of perceived passion to pure lust.

Examples of other Earthly sins follow Redmond during his travels, and accordingly ours with him, but I feel that it's just as pertinent, if not more so, to touch on the presentation in this particular work. The craftsmanship is more in-tune with a series of masterwork paintings through which a lense slowly pans out on as if the darting around of our own eyes tend to mimic those viewing a gallery of brilliant paintings. As we're exposed to more and more within the frame everything comes alive as if a tiny individualized world is having life breathed into it before our eyes. It's truly a sight for the eyes to behold and an even more endearing one for the cinematic mind.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
78mcit2-1.png

Joel Coen, 1990

Fourteen

Brothers blend genres
Grander than Oscar glory;
We sit still in awe.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Will Titanic make an apperance?

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Thats a good movie :dunnodude:
I've seen thousands and thousands of movies though and 100 is a relatively small number. Even having said that, it wouldn't even be close to making the list, though I don't hate it.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Will The Godfather make an appearance? Because this just isn't a greatest films of all time list without it.