• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Need help building muscle mass for a newbie

K

KJL84

I am new to weight gaining and lifting to build muscle, I'm looking for any advice I can get that is going to help on my workout journey. I'm 39 yrs old 6'5", 200lbs I'm interested in building muscle and gaining 20 to 30 pounds naturally, Picture below is current I'm struggling with energy and strength as I get older and want to change that so I'm just wondering where to start with nutrition and workout plans for a beginner of working out regularly. I appreciate any advice, Thank you all in advance!!

Attachments

• 20231230_131711.jpg
    20231230_131711.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Reactions: ArnoldS and BigHulk
BigHulk

BigHulk

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Eat more protein and keep going with weights. There are guys here in thier 50s.

Reactions: ArnoldS, Aea.ltd and KJL84
Aea.ltd

Aea.ltd

Aea.ltd aims to be the most trusted CDMO of API !
Staff member
Sponsor

Resistance Training:

a. Basic Exercises:

• Focus on compound exercises that target multiple muscle groups:
    • Squats
    • Deadlifts
    • Bench Press
    • Overhead Press
    • Bent-over Rows

b. Progressive Overload:

• Gradually increase the weight you lift to challenge your muscles and stimulate growth.

Aea.ltd

Aea.ltd

Aea.ltd aims to be the most trusted CDMO of API !
Staff member
Sponsor

Nutrition:

a. Caloric Surplus:

• Consume a slight caloric surplus by eating more calories than your body burns. This provides the energy needed for muscle growth.

b. Protein Intake:

• Ensure an adequate protein intake (around 1.6-2.2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight) to support muscle repair and growth.

Push50

Push50

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
We all have to start somewhere and we at MECCA at glad to be on this journey with you.
You need to see where you are on your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and your RDI (Required Daily Intake). I do not know what your activity level is: Workouts, Job, home lifestyle and such.
If you can provide this it is easier to determine where you actually are. Additionally, what does your diet look like? Macros? Total Calories?
Just based on the following information:
30 yo
Male
200#'s
Sedentary Lifestyle

BMR = appx. 2000 calories
RDI - appx. 2800 calories to maintain current weight
RDI = 3300 calories to Gain weight. This is moderate weight gain of appx. 1#/wk, nothing crazy.

What does your diet look like? DO you understand MACROS?
What do your workouts currently look like? If you are doing cardio, and I don't say this often or flippantly, QUIT!!! Do not do cardio. For you this will be counterproductive.

K

KJL84

We all have to start somewhere and we at MECCA at glad to be on this journey with you.
You need to see where you are on your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and your RDI (Required Daily Intake). I do not know what your activity level is: Workouts, Job, home lifestyle and such.
If you can provide this it is easier to determine where you actually are. Additionally, what does your diet look like? Macros? Total Calories?
Just based on the following information:
30 yo
Male
200#'s
Sedentary Lifestyle

BMR = appx. 2000 calories
RDI - appx. 2800 calories to maintain current weight
RDI = 3300 calories to Gain weight. This is moderate weight gain of appx. 1#/wk, nothing crazy.

What does your diet look like? DO you understand MACROS?
What do your workouts currently look like? If you are doing cardio, and I don't say this often or flippantly, QUIT!!! Do not do cardio. For you this will be counterproductive.
So I'm new to this stuff but here goes my calculations that I figured out I might be wrong.

BMR= 3,006 Calories
RDI= 3,900 Calories

I would say my lifestyle is Active, I work construction so I'm on the go 8-12 hours a day and it is physically demanding.
I've recently been working out at home about 30 minutes to 1 hour a day for 2 weeks. Just doing 100-150 push ups a day and 30 minutes of Ab workouts. I am going to start going to the gym soon but want to have a Nutrition and Workout plan to reach my goals before so I'm ready.

I have not been counting my Calories and don't know anything about Macros. I know that it is important so I've been doing alot of research on nutrition and trying to gain as much knowledge as possible. I don't do any Cardio. Thank you in advance for all the advice!

Push50

Push50

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think your BMR is off. I think it should be closer to 2000 calories. This is what it takes for your body just to keep you alive. RDI with an active lifestyle is correct. So, in addition to a structured workout routine, you have got to get your diet under control and you need to know your macros or percentage of (Proteins, Carbs, Fats) and how many calories you are taking in. This stuff isn't easy at first but you'll catch on. Just so that you understand, your RDI of 3900 calories is just to maintain your current weight. You need to increase that by at least 500 calories a day in order to gain .
As far as a workout, I would start with something 3 days a week for size.
Back/Shoulders
Chest/Arms
Legs

Reactions: TalkAdmin and KJL84