• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Need Help BUilding Upper Chest

T

tupac

Hi GUys

I have a good lower and middle chest, its quite big for 16. the only problem is at the upper part of my chest in the middle of my nexck area there are some part of my bone that is visible...can you please tell me what to do to get rid of it ASAP like within 2 weeks...

My bench stats for flat bench press is 45kg-50kg depending on how i feel...
Thanks

Regards
Tupac

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There is really no natural way to speed up muscle growth. Besides using AAS, but your too young. The upper insertion point or clavicle insertion point is most often under developed. You are only able to place more stress on this area, for it to grow. You also need to be in a calorie surplus, so that you can build new muscle. I would recommend doing an Up/Lb split so that you can increase the frequency of hitting the upper portion.

I would try exercise such as:

Incline Hammer Strength:

Front Raises: These do help fill in that area, well for me.

Incline Press BB or Db:

with all exercises you can use one hand to feel the upper chest working. So that you can get a feel for that area and see what angles and such work the clavicle insertion the best. hope this helps

T

tupac

Hey jock thanks for the help^^...

do you think that i should use dumbells or a barbell for the upper incline press?

also what is an Incline Hammer Strength?

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I prefer DB over bb simply because I am able to get a better feel than with bb.. I do use bb just not as much. Incline hammer strength is a machine made by Hammer Strength.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What I have noticed is that most people's chest kind of develops in the manner that yours is. Obviously I would recommend including incline presses (I would stick mostly to heavy barbell), but it sounds to me like you just need to "fill out". Dont get too caught up with machines and cables trying to build upper chest because that is not the purpose of those movements. Keep benching heavy and include some incline presses in your routine and the chest will fill out with time. You will not be able to do this in two weeks time, period.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Incline dumbbell press and/or Incline barbell bench press :xyxthumbs:

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Any one of these would help to develop upper chest.

Lying pullovers

Incline bb or dm presses

Dips that have you leaning forward more than usual

But just make sure that you tend to lift heavy so you can stimulate the muscle fibers and hopefully build muscle. Or you can do progressive overload and just increase the weight as your ability to lift heavier increases. Hope this helped, just look around the web and google "Exercises that build upper chest," I'm sure you'll find somethings. Fatality!

wrestling lyon

wrestling lyon

IMO the db pullovers are great for supplementing onto other heavy lifts such as bb incline press
do both to really get a pump in your chest

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hi GUys

I have a good lower and middle chest, its quite big for 16. the only problem is at the upper part of my chest in the middle of my nexck area there are some part of my bone that is visible...can you please tell me what to do to get rid of it ASAP like within 2 weeks...

My bench stats for flat bench press is 45kg-50kg depending on how i feel...
Thanks

Regards
Tupac

dude your only benching 50 kgs...........you shouldnt worry about weak spots until your repping out on 100 kgs............but you should be doing a low incline or incline bench press in your routine somewhere anyways!

just alterate between low incline and incline bench press, try to get stronger with good form and you should get what you want! good luck

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hey Tupac,
I had a similar problem when I first started as well, so you are not alone. What I did to remedy the problem was to cut out flat presses all together. The pectoralis major is technically one muscle, so when you hit incline presses your lower and mid pecs will still be stimulated so no need to worry about that.
Here is an example workout, you can pic the sets (although I prefer minimum volume with heavier weight while trying to movie up progressively every week or so):
Incline Barbell (Or you can do Smith every other week)
Incline DB
Incline DB flies (flies do not do much, but its a good stretch and finishing exercise)

You can throw in Hammer Strength Incline movements as well, the key is to do mostly presses because as I stated before flies (especially cable flies) do not build much muscle if at all. Also, keep the volume lower. There is no need to do 15 sets for chest, 6-9 is more than enough. If you try to move up consistently once you can get your heaviest weight for ten reps you should move up. Aim for a rep range of 6-8, per set and your last rep should be to the point you could not get another so go 100% intensity. Hope this helps, it helped me because now my upper chest is my strong part :xyxthumbs:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hey Tupac,
I had a similar problem when I first started as well, so you are not alone. What I did to remedy the problem was to cut out flat presses all together. The pectoralis major is technically one muscle, so when you hit incline presses your lower and mid pecs will still be stimulated so no need to worry about that.
Here is an example workout, you can pic the sets (although I prefer minimum volume with heavier weight while trying to movie up progressively every week or so):
Incline Barbell (Or you can do Smith every other week)
Incline DB
Incline DB flies (flies do not do much, but its a good stretch and finishing exercise)

You can throw in Hammer Strength Incline movements as well, the key is to do mostly presses because as I stated before flies (especially cable flies) do not build much muscle if at all. Also, keep the volume lower. There is no need to do 15 sets for chest, 6-9 is more than enough. If you try to move up consistently once you can get your heaviest weight for ten reps you should move up. Aim for a rep range of 6-8, per set and your last rep should be to the point you could not get another so go 100% intensity. Hope this helps, it helped me because now my upper chest is my strong part :xyxthumbs:

agree with you but he should not cut out the flat presses. if he's only benching 50kg he needs to keep hitting the flat as well as the incline. just hit the incline first and give that your best effort tupac.

2 weeks?!?!:49::49: what do you have like a pool party coming up? it's gonna take much longer than that man sorrrrrry. dont get frustrated tho man, these things take time.....

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
agree with you but he should not cut out the flat presses. if he's only benching 50kg he needs to keep hitting the flat as well as the incline. just hit the incline first and give that your best effort tupac.

2 weeks?!?!:49::49: what do you have like a pool party coming up? it's gonna take much longer than that man sorrrrrry. dont get frustrated tho man, these things take time.....

why? to ego lift? There is not much point in doing flat press, especially if your weak part is your upper chest. If he wants to throw in some flat DBs here and there that is fine. But have seen my upper chest and can attest that flat presses were not needed nor used much. My chest actually got bigger all around from cutting out flat presses, now I do them just because it's something different. Besides, flat presses are bad for the shoulders.. you know that personally :keke:

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
why? to ego lift? There is not much point in doing flat press, especially if your weak part is your upper chest. If he wants to throw in some flat DBs here and there that is fine. But have seen my upper chest and can attest that flat presses were not needed nor used much. My chest actually got bigger all around from cutting out flat presses, now I do them just because it's something different.

even though most people do flat presses as an ego lift, it does have it's place in complete chest development. if he's only throwin around 100lbs on the flat bench than he needs to really work on the basics, and that includes flat presses. yes the incline will stimulate your whole chest complex, but it leaves something to be desired if your looking for total development, no one ever got a big chest only doing incline, you and myself included. but yes his priority should be the incline if that is a weak spot of his :xyxthumbs:

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
even though most people do flat presses as an ego lift, it does have it's place in complete chest development. if he's only throwin around 100lbs on the flat bench than he needs to really work on the basics, and that includes flat presses. yes the incline will stimulate your whole chest complex, but it leaves something to be desired if your looking for total development, no one ever got a big chest only doing incline, you and myself included. but yes his priority should be the incline if that is a weak spot of his :xyxthumbs:

True, but he already stated his lower and mid pecs were developed enough. And as I stated the Pectoralis Major is one muscle, so if you hit incline you will stimulate the entire muscle with just more point of tension on the upper pecs with the clavicular head. He doesn't have to get rid of flat bench completely, but even if he did it would not hurt him much. It has it's place in helping to build strength, I will give you that.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
True, but he already stated his lower and mid pecs were developed enough. And as I stated the Pectoralis Major is one muscle, so if you hit incline you will stimulate the entire muscle with just more point of tension on the upper pecs with the clavicular head. He doesn't have to get rid of flat bench completely, but even if he did it would not hurt him much. It has it's place in helping to build strength, I will give you that.

agreed. i guess if he thinks his lower pecs are developed enough and he's only pushing 100lbs thats his perogative. but you should be hitting your chest from all angles tupac if you want some manly pecs buddy

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

clearly he is a beginner, 50 kgs bench press, is like average teen strength!

i dont think flat is needed though, it really doesnt hit the pecs that well, most people who get development from flat bench are the gifted few who are suited to it, incline barbell and dumbell are best, both low incline, and normal incline that is! but regardless, he shouldnt be asking such noob question yet, when he is repping 100 kgs he can consider weak points, for now he is all weak point! no offence just keeping it real!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Incline Presses all the way baby!

Minchinator

Minchinator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with everybody who says scrap the flat presses. They tend to hit the front delts more than the chest for most people and tear up a lot of shoulders. Doing flat benches as a neck press work the upper pecs real well, but they really run the risk of damaging your shoulders so I would not recommend them, especially to a beginner. Stick with the majority of your presses and fly's done on an incline bench and you should develop your chest as well as it will develop. Not saying don't do anything flat, I get a great squeeze from flat db fly's, but focus on the inclines and use the flat's as accessory lifts.

X

Xeonen

The kids only 16. . .

Incline Flies
Flat DB Presses
Incline BB Press