• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

No wraps, no belt, no spotters

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
the smith machine i rarely use... prolly every other month i hop on it to pre-exaust and warm a little bit. Smith machine i only use once in a while for squats or shrugs but not so much.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I have tried it before but i dont feel like i have the genetics for it. I have small, weak joints since i can remember. I've hurt my wrists so many times when i was younger simply because they coundnt handle the pay load but everytime they recovered they were so much stronger so they dont bother me anymore. Ive had problems with my chest tendons, shoulders, knees, elbows and so on.. I find it works better for me just focusing on stimulation rather than the ammount of weight im lifting. Ive never had the genetics for strength but i still lift enough weight to stimulate and grow. Obviously i can get stronger when training for strength but genetics still play a big role.

This is the story of my life. I was always the smallest kid in my class and always picked on but this is what drove me to lifting. When I graduated highschool in 1999 I was 65kg and until 2004 I was never heavier than 70kg. Then I learnt how to train hard and heavy and am now over 90kg at barely 5'7 and am the strongest person in my social and family circles. Nearly every single one of my joints has has some sort of problem but I just work around it with appropriate prehab and exercise selection (eg. I can no longer OH press but I've still got big shoulders from benching).

What I'm trying to say is that genetics is only an excuse. I was tiny for years, I now wear XLs while still having a 32in waist. You aren't disabled in any way so there's nothing stopping you from lifting heavy. Consider it the magical shortcut to awesomeness.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
This is the story of my life. I was always the smallest kid in my class and always picked on but this is what drove me to lifting. When I graduated highschool in 1999 I was 65kg and until 2004 I was never heavier than 70kg. Then I learnt how to train hard and heavy and am now over 90kg and am the strongest person in my social and family circles. Nearly every single one of my joints has has some sort of problem but I just work around it with appropriate prehab and exercise selection (eg. I can no longer OH press but I've still got big shoulders from benching). What I'm trying to say is that genetics is only an excuse. I was tiny for years, I now wear XLs while still having a 32in waist. You aren't disabled in any way so there's nothing stopping you from lifting heavy. Consider it the magical shortcut to awesomeness.

Thats the part thats concerning LOL i see where you are coming from. I dont get me wrong, i dont lift "light weight" I just lift with enough weight to take me to failure in a stimulating and safe way. I get better pumps this way and my workouts are shorter so i can go home and recover sooner. I like the progress i have been making, im never concerned about my workouts since they are always intense no matter what. Ill do strip and monster sets if needed but i always constantly focus on mind muscle connection, ive learned that good form isnt always enough, its about good form and making the connection with your mind and your muscle and making sure that im concentrating on the muscle belly. My main problem is consistancy with working out 4-5 times a week EVERY WEEK and consistancy with my diet. but for the most part my workouts are really stimulating and taxing. Im patient and i like being safe. I dont mind reaching my goals when im 40 instead of 26. I used to stress out over bodybuilding because i always felt like i wanted to be bigger and stronger the fastest way and i been tempted to juice since i knew ppl who juiced but nowadays seeing bodybuilders who turn pro in their 40's or seeing 50 year olds in great shape, most of the time those people didnt start juicing until they were older and just took the safe road (im not saying steroids are not safe). I have no ego when it comes to lifting weights, until someones starts talking shit so then i train for strength to show them that im not weak.

I also take in some advice from Female bodybuilders since they usally are safer and are able to be great bodybuilders at a later age because they avoided injuries and were patient. Some might think this is retarded since females are so different but they still work hard and apply a lot of great principles that go unnoticed

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thats the part thats concerning LOL i see where you are coming from. I dont get me wrong, i dont lift "light weight" I just lift with enough weight to take me to failure in a stimulating and safe way. I get better pumps this way and my workouts are shorter so i can go home and recover sooner. I like the progress i have been making, im never concerned about my workouts since they are always intense no matter what. Ill do strip and monster sets if needed but i always constantly focus on mind muscle connection, ive learned that good form isnt always enough, its about good form and making the connection with your mind and your muscle and making sure that im concentrating on the muscle belly. My main problem is consistancy with working out 4-5 times a week EVERY WEEK and consistancy with my diet. but for the most part my workouts are really stimulating and taxing. Im patient and i like being safe. I dont mind reaching my goals when im 40 instead of 26. I used to stress out over bodybuilding because i always felt like i wanted to be bigger and stronger the fastest way and i been tempted to juice since i knew ppl who juiced but nowadays seeing bodybuilders who turn pro in their 40's or seeing 50 year olds in great shape, most of the time those people didnt start juicing until they were older and just took the safe road (im not saying steroids are not safe). I have no ego when it comes to lifting weights, until someones starts talking shit so then i train for strength to show them that im not weak.

I also take in some advice from Female bodybuilders since they usally are safer and are able to be great bodybuilders at a later age because they avoided injuries and were patient. Some might think this is retarded since females are so different but they still work hard and apply a lot of great principles that go unnoticed
Are you deliberately missing the key points that Ben and I have made???

And I wish people would stop carrying on about the "mind muscle connection". It could just as easily have been called using proper form or lifting properly. This "mind+muscle" thing might sound great and tap into some new age thing or be very descriptive of concentrating on lifting, but people quote it like it is special.

I have video of me benching when I first started and some more recent stuff. The difference is amazing. I could call that "mind muscle connection", but in reality it is me learning to lift properly and improving my skills. I am now a more skillful lifter. I don't hear too many athletes saying they have made a great "mind muscle connection" when they perfect kicking, throwing or whatever.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Are you deliberately missing the key points that Ben and I have made???

And I wish people would stop carrying on about the "mind muscle connection". It could just as easily have been called using proper form or lifting properly. This "mind+muscle" thing might sound great and tap into some new age thing or be very descriptive of concentrating on lifting, but people quote it like it is special.

I have video of me benching when I first started and some more recent stuff. The difference is amazing. I could call that "mind muscle connection", but in reality it is me learning to lift properly and improving my skills. I am now a more skillful lifter. I don't hear too many athletes saying they have made a great "mind muscle connection" when they perfect kicking, throwing or whatever.

Im talking about what i do for myself and what i like to do for myself. Im not ignoring the points you guys are making and i said i dont lift "light weights". Whether you beleive in mind muscle connection or not but some people cannot make some of their muscles move like when someone bounces there chest without moving their skeleton because they dont have a connection with their muscle like others do. Throughout time ive been able to make my shoulders, biceps, triceps, lats, hamstrings, quads calves and other muscle move like when someone bounces their pecs rapidly... i couldnt do it before but i can do it now. Some people cannot make a three leaf clover shape with there tounge while others can but then out of nowhere they become able to do it because they are able of sending those neuron signals from their brain that they didnt know how to send before. By Mind-Muscle connection im not trying to be spiritual or a new age weirdo Im talking about the signals that go from your brain to your muscles. Im not thinking about my brain and im not thinking about sending signals, im focusing on my bicep and focusing on the contraction and tension and making sure that im able to keep tension on the muscle. There are times when people do proper form yet just go through the motions and dont focus on muscle stimulation.

Right now i cannot do any reasearch but ive heard of Quantum Physics expirements where they get olympic athletes and connect them to those wire thingy's that detect brain and neuron activity. They were told to think and go through their minds the movements in their mind without moving their bodies and they found that their brain is sending signals to each individual muscle as they think about the movement step by step without moving a muscle. We all know that every voluntary movement begins at the brain.

Most of us can bounce our chest. so if you can do it... and then try to do the same with your lats, and then try to do the same with your shoulders, biceps, triceps, glutes and any other muscle without moving your skeleton. most people cannot do it with some of their muscles because they are not sending the signals to their muscles.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Im talking about what i do for myself and what i like to do for myself. Im not ignoring the points you guys are making and i said i dont lift "light weights". Whether you beleive in mind muscle connection or not but some people cannot make some of their muscles move like when someone bounces there chest without moving their skeleton because they dont have a connection with their muscle like others do. Throughout time ive been able to make my shoulders, biceps, triceps, lats, hamstrings, quads calves and other muscle move like when someone bounces their pecs rapidly... i couldnt do it before but i can do it now. Some people cannot make a three leaf clover shape with there tounge while others can but then out of nowhere they become able to do it because they are able of sending those neuron signals from their brain that they didnt know how to send before. By Mind-Muscle connection im not trying to be spiritual or a new age weirdo Im talking about the signals that go from your brain to your muscles. Im not thinking about my brain and im not thinking about sending signals, im focusing on my bicep and focusing on the contraction and tension and making sure that im able to keep tension on the muscle. There are times when people do proper form yet just go through the motions and dont focus on muscle stimulation.

Right now i cannot do any reasearch but ive heard of Quantum Physics expirements where they get olympic athletes and connect them to those wire thingy's that detect brain and neuron activity. They were told to think and go through their minds the movements in their mind without moving their bodies and they found that their brain is sending signals to each individual muscle as they think about the movement step by step without moving a muscle. We all know that every voluntary movement begins at the brain.

Most of us can bounce our chest. so if you can do it... and then try to do the same with your lats, and then try to do the same with your shoulders, biceps, triceps, glutes and any other muscle without moving your skeleton. most people cannot do it with some of their muscles because they are not sending the signals to their muscles.

Once again you have missed my point. It is called SKILL!!!!

And yes I can "bounce" my lats, hammys and the like. Once again a skill.

And it isn't quantum physics :rofl3:

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
where does skill come from? it comes from your mind

We seem to be on a similar page, we are just using different terminology apparantly.

so from being able to bounce your hammies now, was there a point where you couldnt? and what is the difference between now and then? you have the skill of being able to do it now... and the difference is that when you didnt have that skill, your brain was not sending the signals to perform that skill... you acheived that skill when your brain sent those signals that went to your hamstring that allowed it to move like that, you were able to send thes signals through your neurons thus allowing you to preform that skill. So there is a connection between your mind and your hamstring and you probably subconciously were not able to make

Skill comes from being able to fire off the right signals whether it comes from the years of experience or if you had those skills from the get go

Plus i didnt say that what i said is Quantum Physics, i said it was a Quantum Physics expirement.... whether quantum physics were applied or not. It was the subject that they were working with

When it comes to Quantum Physics and the human body there is a Linear Domain and a Non-Linear Domain

Linear= Measurable and provable by modern science/math

Non-Linear= Not provable or Measurable by science/math and it depends on the individual subjective experience aswell as the individual mind....

You've said before that you only base your thoughts on science... well "Skill" is not measurable or provable by science or math so it falls under the Non-Linear Domain. You can measure the output of someones performance but not their "skill"

If it cannot be proven then it remains theory so i guess thats all there will ever be to go on since you cannot prove some things with modern science or math

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
where does skill come from? it comes from your mind
Not necessarily. For example a cricket ball is actually moving faster than the brain can interpret and send a signal. Reaction times are often shorter neural networks relying on feedback loops.
We seem to be on a similar page, we are just using different terminology apparantly.
My point is that skill is the correct term. Not some fuzzy thing written in Muscle and Fiction and touted by "feel the burn" proponents.
so from being able to bounce your hammies now, was there a point where you couldnt? and what is the difference between now and then? you have the skill of being able to do it now... and the difference is that when you didnt have that skill, your brain was not sending the signals to perform that skill... you acheived that skill when your brain sent those signals that went to your hamstring that allowed it to move like that, you were able to send thes signals through your neurons thus allowing you to preform that skill. So there is a connection between your mind and your hamstring and you probably subconciously were not able to make
Strange I was always able to use my hamstrings. I've been walking since I was quite young, I was pretty decent at running too. Seemed to be fine at using the hammys before I could "bounce" them. The skill wasn't sending the signal, it was coordinating it. Hence the term skill!
Skill comes from being able to fire off the right signals whether it comes from the years of experience or if you had those skills from the get go
Yes. Which is why "mind muscle" is a load of crap to carry on about. How can you honestly concentrate on performing a complex movement with several major and minor muscles that contract for a total of a second? The turnaround for my change from eccentric to concentric in the squat is <0.5sec, you can't concentrate on that.
Plus i didnt say that what i said is Quantum Physics, i said it was a Quantum Physics expirement.... whether quantum physics were applied or not. It was the subject that they were working with

When it comes to Quantum Physics and the human body there is a Linear Domain and a Non-Linear Domain

Linear= Measurable and provable by modern science/math

Non-Linear= Not provable or Measurable by science/math and it depends on the individual experience aswell as the individual mind....
Then you are either taking the research out of context or still using the wrong terminology. Also I'm pretty sure you are incorrect about linear and non-linear domains, especially as linear wouldn't be correct terminology for a lot of what physics deals with.
What is Quantum Physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of science that deals with discrete, indivisible units of energy called quanta as described by the Quantum Theory. There are five main ideas represented in Quantum Theory:

Energy is not continuous, but comes in small but discrete units.
The elementary particles behave both like particles and like waves.
The movement of these particles is inherently random.
It is physically impossible to know both the position and the momentum of a particle at the same time. The more precisely one is known, the less precise the measurement of the other is.
The atomic world is nothing like the world we live in.

You've said before that you only base your thoughts on science... well "Skill" is not measurable or provable by science or math so it falls under the Non-Linear Domain. You can measure the output of someones performance but not their "skill"
Skill can be measured. I don't know what the hell you think science and objective observation is, but most things can be measured. Skill is actually more about what aspects you want to measure and by what method. Weightlifting has entire fields devoted to measuring skill. Have a look for some of the stuff they do on force transfer plates and bar path modelling.
If it cannot be proven then it remains theory so i guess thats all there will ever be to go on since you cannot prove some things with modern science or math
"Proven" is a relative term. You could say that gravity has not been proven by modern knowledge standards. This is because there are several "theories" as to why we cannot account for all attraction forces in the universe. As such until we have measured these forces we cannot really "prove" gravity.

But this shows the lack of understanding of science by the media and lay-people. They assume that theory is stagnant, they assume that evidence is never conclusive unless self evident. Yet science is about evolving an understanding of the universe. To say that we cannot prove some things isn't entirely accurate.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
I think its kinda funny that we are looking at things from a different perspective yet im assuming both of us are getting good muscle stimulation even though we are looking at it from different perspectives. We are both trying to acheive maximum muscle stimulation and im assuming we are both getting better and better at the Skill of training... whether we look at it as skill or mind muscle connection... it all comes down to learning your body and training efficiently. when it comes to power movements there is nothing greater than form but then again power movements arent the only ways to stimulate. I agree about your squat statement, but im reffering more to isolation and stimulation as a whole. I still beleive that your mind has a lot to do with the way you're body works and your ability to do things efficiently and correctly(skill).

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
Quantum Physics... :bitelip:

Natzo is out of this thread..

(joining Ben)