• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Scott Mendelson 490kg bench attempt

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
1081 pounds!... 1081 pounds! Yup. Better luck next time. ;)

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
One thing i dont like about meets is that most people dont count the gym lifting. He said he has been benching atleast 11 hundred for a while, if im not mistaken he said he went up to over 12 hundred. He failed less then that in a meet...

He should film himself benching what he normally has been benching in the gym and even though its not a meet, it still matters to us/me all the same even though he didnt set an organization record.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
One thing i dont like about meets is that most people dont count the gym lifting. He said he has been benching atleast 11 hundred for a while, if im not mistaken he said he went up to over 12 hundred. He failed less then that in a meet...

He should film himself benching what he normally has been benching in the gym and even though its not a meet, it still matters to us/me all the same even though he didnt set an organization record.

Gym lifts don't count in PLing.

He may have been training lockouts, or board presses or anything. A meet is where it is at in PLing, just like a comp is where it is at in BBing.

It is one of the many reasons I regard gym time for PLers and BBers as nothing but training. It is not the actual sport, but merely preparation. Much like footy practice isn't the sport but merely the practice to be ready to play in the game.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Gym lifts don't count in PLing.

He may have been training lockouts, or board presses or anything. A meet is where it is at in PLing, just like a comp is where it is at in BBing.

It is one of the many reasons I regard gym time for PLers and BBers as nothing but training. It is not the actual sport, but merely preparation. Much like footy practice isn't the sport but merely the practice to be ready to play in the game.

I see what you mean but if he uses propper powelifting form and bench presses over 12 hundred and goes to a meet and only does 1080.... he still bench pressed over 1200 (if he can provide a video with witnesses). Bobybuilders in the gym workout to go on and pose on stage, Powerlifters lift to go on and lift in meets so its kinda different.

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I see what you mean but if he uses propper powelifting form and bench presses over 12 hundred and goes to a meet and only does 1080.... he still bench pressed over 1200 (if he can provide a video with witnesses). Bobybuilders in the gym workout to go on and pose on stage, Powerlifters lift to go on and lift in meets so its kinda different.

I agree with Tim on this.
There still have to be official judges or it doesn't count (fake plates and so on could be used).

nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's kinda different when you lift with bench press shirt or raw. When lifting raw, you lift what you lift (you can't get more than your strength allows you). But with shirt, the same amount of weight (e.g. this attempt) can be lifted either with another shirt or at a different day. But if you fail like that when lifting raw, there's no way you can get it up at another day.

No, I don't like powerlifting that much (raw excluded).

But this is just my humble opinion and actually there's nothing to argue about. This doesn't mean that Scott wouldn't know what he's doing.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's kinda different when you lift with bench press shirt or raw. When lifting raw, you lift what you lift (you can't get more than your strength allows you). But with shirt, the same amount of weight (e.g. this attempt) can be lifted either with another shirt or at a different day. But if you fail like that when lifting raw, there's no way you can get it up at another day.

No, I don't like powerlifting that much (raw excluded).

But this is just my humble opinion and actually there's nothing to argue about. This doesn't mean that Scott wouldn't know what he's doing.

I don't think this is the case from my own personal experience with PB's and from articles and PLing forums I've read. Competitive PLers can once again comment further.

Raw lifting is a different beast but I have missed lifts one day and then nailed them and more the next week. I've also nailed lifts one week and battled to get close the next week. Missing a lift isn't just the bane of geared lifters.

Also your comments about lifting gear are wide of the mark. They aren't magical and make you a better lifter. You still have to be a good lifter and a strong lifter regardless of gear. A bench shirt won't magically make a bench attempt reachable just because of the shirt, it is still the lifter that makes the lift.