• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

The Official Book Thread

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
HAHA I read that book... fucking hilarious!

I havn't been successful with my attempts at downloading the movie... if anyone finds a decent torrent... please let me know :)

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I fucking hated the book Angels and Demons... I did however enjoy the movie.

agreed. i read like 80 pages and then quit. previously i had read "deception point" and "digital fortress". i enjoyed deception point, but started noticing that the theme and language was very repetitive during digital fortress. but i still gave angels and demons a try, but no way i could get through more of that.

right now im reading a new book by paul auster. "man in the dark". quite interesting.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
For those who don't know what to read next, I refer you to one of my favorite websites.

http://artofmanliness.com/books-for-men/

Looking at those lists I seem to have read a lot of them. Especially some of the classics, which I read when I was quite young.

I was afraid that it was going to be one of those "bro" lists. You know the men that do nothing but talk about their own personal gratification as though it is really cool or similar to that Tucker Max style of writing (which is ok, but isn't really manly).

H

harrypott

Hi Dud !

I agree with you. I also hated Angels and Demons but the movie was quite good.

Cork

Cork

Looking at those lists I seem to have read a lot of them. Especially some of the classics, which I read when I was quite young.

I was afraid that it was going to be one of those "bro" lists. You know the men that do nothing but talk about their own personal gratification as though it is really cool or similar to that Tucker Max style of writing (which is ok, but isn't really manly).

The Art of Manliness is the manliest website you will ever see. Not bro related. Very old school man-type.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I just finished the Ender's Shadow series by Orson Scott Card. I loved Ender's game, and these are decent.

Sci-Fi, the military, aliens, and politics. If you liked Starship Troopers (the book, NOT the movie) you'll dig Card's novels.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I'm going to have to take a look at The Dark Tower series, although as much as I liked LOTR it wasn't fantastic, so I'm always wary of parallels being drawn to that.

Do this. Possibly the greatest book series I've ever read. Stephen King is the master of making the mundane amazing. And wait til you meet Oy.

I'm trying to think of the greatest book I have ever read and one keeps on springing to mind:
worm_dune_frank_herbert.jpg

If you have not read this and you have even the slightest interest in sci-fi, then you suck. In fact lets just say that anybody who has not read this sucks.

Others of note:
1/
the_stand-1.jpg

2/ Sarah Douglass's Wayfarer Redemption series: a 6 book page epic fantasy page turner.

3/ Nearly anything by this man:
pratchettdm2910_468x653-1.jpg

Terry Pratchett

:gaysign:

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Just checked the first page and realised I've repeated myself somewhat.

Ok just an idea to discuss in here; what/who are the books/writers that/who you have started to read only to put the book down out of apathy or disgust?

The Dune Novels - in fairness the films were far worse.

I have lost all respect for you. :gtfoslap:

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I've just started reading The Power of One.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I'm only through the first 20 or so... its a bit weird so far though haha

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Finished a few books while cruising:

Darkly Dreaming Dexter
Very interesting and humourous, but the ending was ambiguous and non-descript. Great use of alliteration throughout. Completely different from the TV series.

....And Another Thing
This was a bit of a let down, but still a fun read. I feel let down in that I remember the series of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe being very irreverant and slacker humour. This used a lot more "guide notes" or misdirection humour that actually detracted from the story more than it should have. I still enjoyed it though and especially loved the use of Thor and religion, which was another nice link back to Restaurant at the End of the Universe and the Dirk Gentley novels.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Different from what I expected, having seen the movie already. This book is definitely the bridge between childrens and young adult reading. Also noticably more concise and tightly written than the later three novels. Enjoyed thoroughly.

Have a few I want to read:
The Time Travellers Wife and Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger
Just saw the movie with Eric Bana and Rachael McAdams (the second film I have seen of hers and been thoroughly impressed with her) and am looking forward to reading both.

The Story of Danny Dunn - Bryce Courteney
My wife has just finished this and enjoyed it. It was my Xmas pressie.

Dead Until Dark and Living Dead in Dallas
We have 4-5 of this series, I'll read these two and then see if I want to read anymore. Will also coincide with the TV series nicely.

We also bought a pile of books at the airport but I can't remember them all.

Also just a quick point. There was an entire section of Teen/Tween vampire books on the shelves in the book stores we went into. Fucking Lame. It isn't just Twilight, but all sorts of similar genre stories. I remember when Anne Rice books were hard to come by!!

JS316

JS316

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I found the book good and the movie shit.

I just read The Lost Symbol. It should have finished 100 pages earlier, but babbled on about bullshit which ruined it.

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Darkly Dreaming Dexter
Very interesting and humourous, but the ending was ambiguous and non-descript. Great use of alliteration throughout. Completely different from the TV series.

Very different than the TV series. Much more humorous. I liked part of the open ending leaving the possibility of a further encounter. Which is something I would have liked to have seen.

The second book, Dearly Devoted Dexter is better. And with all my heart, i emplore you not to read the third.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Very different than the TV series. Much more humorous. I liked part of the open ending leaving the possibility of a further encounter. Which is something I would have liked to have seen.

The second book, Dearly Devoted Dexter is better. And with all my heart, i emplore you not to read the third.

Yeh I've heard that he jumped the shark with that third book.

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeh I've heard that he jumped the shark with that third book.

I actually regret reading the third. It was of a completely different (and IMO inferior) tone and plot.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I actually regret reading the third. It was of a completely different (and IMO inferior) tone and plot.

My sister said the same thing. In which case when I return the first one I'll grab the second book. Have you read the fourth? Is it any good? I got the impression that it was a return to form, but not as good as the first two.

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My sister said the same thing. In which case when I return the first one I'll grab the second book. Have you read the fourth? Is it any good? I got the impression that it was a return to form, but not as good as the first two.

I have not yet read the fourth book. I will be doing that shortly and I will let you know what I think when i finish it. From the reviews I have read is that Lindsay attempts to bring things back to a good stance.

On another note, just finished reading Michael Crichton's Timeline. It was pretty good as far as pop sci-fi goes. Intelligent discussions of some quantum mechanics. Great historical theories and discussions. As is often the case, Crichton does a good job educating the reader a little as he goes along.