• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

The Official Book Thread

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I just finished the Ender's Shadow series by Orson Scott Card. I loved Ender's game, and these are decent.

I actually just finished Ender's Game for my Great Works class (speculative fiction :thumbsup2:)

I enjoyed the book and was considering reading the related novels. You recommend them?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Bit of news, probably one of the most over-rated authors of all time has died at age 91. I refer of course to JD Salinger, author of one of the worst "modern classics" I have ever had the displeasure of reading; The Catcher in the Rye.

I would say RIP, but apparently he sat on a heap of unpublished works and there are rumours that now they are likely to see the light of day :disgust:

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
About 60% of the way through "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, amazing read so far. I highly recommend it.

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ok, finished The Road, easily on of the best pieces of literature I have ever read. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Fantastically written with a great story to boot.

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I hope they server beer in hell

its by Tucker Max and was a NY Times best seller... the shits rediculous

My english teacher who is from Rhode Island gave it to me today. I've finished the first story. Shit's hilarious.

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ok, finished The Road, easily on of the best pieces of literature I have ever read. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Fantastically written with a great story to boot.

I'll be reading it for a class soon, good to hear you loved it.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Any alternative history fans out there? I'm currently on to the second novel in John Brimingham's Weapons Of Choice series and am enjoying it thoroughly. The premise is that a future 21st century naval force is sent back in time to 1942 prior to the Battle of Midway. The book goes into great detail on the culture clash, racism and bigotry etc that a multi-cultural 21st century group would encounter back in the 40's. And also provides an entertaining vision of the past being dragged through the decades of technological and social advancement much faster than it could have ever hoped or would have wanted.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Wait wait wait. You read??!!

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
reading darkly dreaming dexter ...

I'm a huge fan of the tv series, and the book seems really great too, really enjoy the wrighting.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
reading darkly dreaming dexter ...

I'm a huge fan of the tv series, and the book seems really great too, really enjoy the wrighting.

I read it a few months ago. He really is a good writer. Just read some of the comments we've made about the series above.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was trying to find the Dark Tower series in a book store recently, but was thwarted by the lack of Stephen King books. I find this puzzling as he rates as one of the most popular authors of the 20th century, to not have one of his books on the shelves is just ridiculous. But this piece of news should mean my efforts will be rewarded next time:

Ron Howard Will Turn Stephen King's The Dark Tower Into A Movie Trilogy
By Josh Tyler: 2010-04-29

It’s been rumored for years and now it’s finally happening. Deadline say Stephen King’s masterful fantasy series “The Dark Tower” is headed for theaters. As part of a deal being worked on at Universal (but not yet completed) the seven books which comprise the Dark Tower story will be condensed into three movies, in a script written by Akiva Goldsman and to be directed by Ron Howard.

The deal is also said to include a package which will result in a Dark Tower TV series, though how they’d pull that off in addition to the movies is a complete mystery. Will the three films cover only three of the books, leaving the TV series to cover the rest? Or will they combine all seven books into three films and then create a TV series which picks up where the final "Dark Tower" book leaves off? We won't know until the deal is finalized and Howard starts talking. King is reportedly working on an eigth novel which tackles a different storyline from "The Dark Tower", that could be possible fodder for the TV series as well.

What’s clear here is that, however they split it up, done properly The Dark Tower could be the next Lord of the Rings. King’s books follow a wandering Gunslinger named Roland, the last of his kind, as he wanders across dimensions and other worlds on an endless quest to find the Dark Tower, a fabled building said to be a nexus between worlds. The stories are massively epic in scope and cross over all sorts of different genres. It’s more than just fantasy, it’s science fiction, it’s horror, it’s gut-wrenching drama, and it’s part old-school shoot-em-up Western. The character of Roland is in theory more of a wandering knight than a cowboy, but in appearance and disposition, it’s as if Clint Eastwood wandered off the set of one his classic Wild West tales and into a Stephen King novel. This could be huge.

I say could be, because there’s one problem. His name is Ron Howard. Ron is a fine choice if you’re looking for sappy, schmaltzy Oscar-bait but it’s hard to imagine him tackling the darker, more horrific elements of The Dark Tower with any success. Earlier in his career I might have had more faith in his ability to do this. The guy who made Backdraft and Apollo 13 seemed like he might have something tense and edgy somewhere inside him. But I’m not sure I believe the director of Cinderella Man and A Beautiful Mind is capable of anything like this. I hope I’m wrong because done right, The Dark Tower could be brilliant; an epic, unforgettable Oscar winner.

At one point JJ Abrams was supposed to be developing The Dark Tower into a feature film but back in November that fell through. Now it’s about to end up in the hands of Ron Howard. We’ll let you know as soon as this is confirmed as a done deal.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
^I just made a mess in my pants. A very happy mess. :D

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I havn't read the books, I am very interested though.

Currently reading The Testament by John Grisham. Closing in on the end, and so far its been an easy enjoyable read.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ilium, by Dan Simmons.

Won the Hugo Award, btw. Good shit. Any book where the protagonist states "fuck the Muse" in the first chapter has my vote.

Plus, where also can you read about a hyped up Diomedes try and take down 2 Greek gods in one day?

9782266149150-1.jpg

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
^^ Ilium and its sequel Olympos are great and funny. I like Dan Simmons style in those books and how he mix hard(ish) sci-fi with ancient history and humour. Brilliant.

I'm currently reading Song of Ice and Fire series, i'm in the middle of the second book (A Clash of Kings), i read A Game of Thrones last week, and so far so good. I like how RR Martin doesn't rely that much on magic or weird creatures to develop an interesting (and thus far pretty captivating for me) plot in a fantasy/medieval world. Sure there are mentions to drangons, extrange creatures living in the outter limits of the world and old (now extinct) races but (as I've said, at least until the point i'm right now) there are no ad-hoc appareances of magical and unheard-of solutions to character situations (say, being rescued by a giant eagle or "That was done by a wizard").

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Storm said:
there are no ad-hoc appareances of magical and unheard-of solutions to character situations (say, being rescued by a giant eagle or "That was done by a wizard").

This is termed deux ex machina and is regarded as poor writing/story telling. Sometimes it is used for comedic effect, but mostly the use of it is just someone being lazy or abusive to the audience.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
tim it's deus ex machina (deuS not deuX) and i just didn't want to sound like a prick using latin, although It seems that you english-speakers love using it ;)

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
eh... now i wonder why i used ad-hoc hahahaha. I'm a prick and can't help it lol

Anyway, Song of Ice and Fire: good read.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
currently reading Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis.

good read so far, the story makes you think a lot about change.

378px-Kafka_Starke_Verwandlung_1915.jpg

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
^^ You won't regret reading that Natzo, good choice. Kafka's "The Castle" (at least "El Castillo" is the spanish tittle) is also very good.