• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

The Official Book Thread

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I quite enjoyed Dawkins's The Greatest Show On Earth: The Evidence For Evolution but I am as yet to get onto any of his other titles. Darwin is also on my "to read" list.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My main problem is the hipocrisy displayed by the way he rails against things. I do agree that someone like him standing up and taking the fight back is needed, but it ultimately undermines his own position.

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a hypocrite. He rails against unsubstantiated beliefs yet his opponents rarely (if ever) take the time examine the evidence he presents. I've seen him in action against some Creationists, and he gave them a fair chance to defend their ideas. I can understand his angst.

That being said, he can be annoying as hell at times. I recently saw an interview he did on Youtube and he definitely came off as snooty. Arrogant, yes. Hypocrite? Perhaps not.

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The Children of H?rin

Since I'm a huge fan of the LOTR movie triology I've decided to read the whole work of Tolkien.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The Children of H?rin

Since I'm a huge fan of the LOTR movie triology I've decided to read the whole work of Tolkien.

Are you finding his work waffly and boring? Because I never finished The Hobbit (boring!!) and while I enjoyed LOTR I wasn't rushing out to get any more of his works, nor re-read them any time soon.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I enjoyed The Hobbit and LOTR but never finished the Silmarilion... as Tim said, too much waffling.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yes, Give me CS Lewis any day.

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Are you finding his work waffly and boring? Because I never finished The Hobbit (boring!!) and while I enjoyed LOTR I wasn't rushing out to get any more of his works, nor re-read them any time soon.

Perhaps you should give it another try. I find The Children of H?rin to be pretty interesting. It also should have the most tragedy in it compared to other stories.

Imo The Hobbit is more of a children's book and is entirely different from the book I just mentioned above.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I like CS Lewis. Also a better writer than Tolkien.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I like CS Lewis. Also a better writer than Tolkien.

Yes I do agree. Although CS Lewis was aimed at a younger audience, so it was going to be an easier read anyway.

Ok I gave up on Ian Rankin's Exit Music. Just wasn't wrapt up in the story. I'm sick of authors describing pointless stuff in excruitiating detail. I don't care about the layout of streets or the type of flooring the hotel has unless it is somehow relevant to the story or the scene. Unfortunately most of the Ian Rankin's of the world seem to not cull the pointless stuff, viewing it all as important exposition. So 150 pages into a 380 page book I gave up and read something else.

Matthew Reilly's Scarecrow. The 150 pages above took a few days, this entire +400 page novel had me glued to the book for a day. This book was non-stop action-adventure, thoroughly engrossing and enjoyable. Cliche and improbable situations abound but Reilly is above everything else a writer talented in creating fast-paced and fun novels. I'm ordering some more from Amazon right now.

Next book I'm undecided upon. I have The Shakespeare Secret by JL Carroll on the shelf which is apparently good. Or I have a book by my friend's dad that just came out - Road Kill by Martin Cusworth. I'm hoping the latter is good, because from the description it is a horror-thriller, which I've only liked two of in the past (Hoodoo Man by Steve Harris and The Wolfman, but I'm unsure about the author).

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
I never finished a Tolkien book. Harry potter is so much fun.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I never finished a Tolkien book. Harry potter is so much fun.

So I'm guessing adult books are a bit tough for you unless they contain pictures.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
So I'm guessing adult books are a bit tough for you unless they contain pictures.

LOTR has pics at the end .

nah... I really enjoyed Harry Potter, they're fun like other adult books i've mentioned across this thread.

has you're discussing books in your fields, I may add two that i'm reading at the moment in my field.

1. Marketing 3.0 by Kotler and Kartajaya

bit disappointing I was expecting something new... but it's only a book about what we already know. good read although.

2. Positioning by Al Ries and Jack Trout

Possible the best marketing book there is.

Already ordered :

The Buying Brain: Secrets for Selling to the Subconscious Mind: Secrets of Selling to the Subconscious Mind - A. K. Pradeep

should be good.

Last edited:
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ lol. I don't tend to talk about the non-fiction I read.

Soil Analysis - An Interpretation Manual
The exciting world of soil chemistry is brought to life with endless amazing annecdotes, data and real life measurements. A must read for anyone who enjoyed eating soil as a kid.

Plant Analysis - An Interpretation Manual
The long awaited follow-up to the soil book, now told from the plant's point of view. With character studies on every major and minor player we see everything laid out in a rich tapestry of life in plant chemistry.

ABS Australian Year Book
More than just a highly successful long running series, it has become the cornerstone of oft quoted lines throughout the world. Nothing compares to the stark nature of this brilliant work.

Also just ordered the agribusiness numbers nerd annal Planfarm/Bankwest Benchmarks 2010. Nothing but economics stats!!

Finished Michael Connelly's City of Bones on Saturday. Probably one of the better crime fiction novels I've read. Although crime fiction still seems to be a bit too much work at times as compared to thrillers. I've found that they get bogged down in mundane details about what road they are on or meaningless sub-plots (most are see-through red herrings) that just frustrate the reader or make the reading slow going.

Just started Lee Child's Bad Luck and Trouble and am already half-way through. I'm enjoying this more than the last one I read of his. I'm going on holiday in a week, so I plan to get a pile of 2nd hand books to read, Lee will be amongst that pile.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Picked up Stephen King's most recent short story book today. He's released about 6 and I highly recommend all of them. That man's ability to turn the most mundane things into a psychological thriller amazes me to no end.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I read his 5th collection. Dolan's Cadillac is a classic.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
plant analysis... are you a gardener?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
plant analysis... are you a gardener?

Yes I spent 10yrs, a BSc and a PhD to be able to mow a lawn. /sarcasm.

Plant analysis is about nutritional status and transportation modes of biological chemistry. Basically combine biology and chemistry together and that is what the text is.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
Yes I spent 10yrs, a BSc and a PhD to be able to mow a lawn. /sarcasm.

Plant analysis is about nutritional status and transportation modes of biological chemistry. Basically combine biology and chemistry together and that is what the text is.

bro I hope you understood the joke.. lol

from Bsc to phd... cool

how many years did you spent at undergrad (Bsc level)?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
bro I hope you understood the joke.. lol

from Bsc to phd... cool

how many years did you spent at undergrad (Bsc level)?

I get jokes!

5yrs doing a 4yr BSc (I was part time for some of it), handed in the thesis last year after 4.5yrs but still doing corrections (due this week actually). Plus there was a couple of research jobs in between the undergrad and postgrad.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
I get jokes!

5yrs doing a 4yr BSc (I was part time for some of it), handed in the thesis last year after 4.5yrs but still doing corrections (due this week actually). Plus there was a couple of research jobs in between the undergrad and postgrad.

really nice tim congrats, EU messed up the college system Bsc level like mine was reduced from 4-5 years to a 3 year course, wich makes in my opinion necessary to study at masters level before thinking of getting a phd or not.