• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

The Official Olympic Games 2008 thread

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
I dare libby trickett to scare me more :gaygay: finishing 9th after the semi finals only for one person to get dq'd and her to make the final... It'd be funny if she still won gold.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
best swimming legend ey. Ian thorpe? he may be a douche, but he is better than phelps.

you can't honestly be saying thorpe is better than phelps. i don't care where you're from, you must give phelps his due.

however one thing that really irritates me is NBC proclaiming phelps the greatest olympian ever. why? because of his medal count? that's absurd. the fact that a swimmer can even win what like 9 medals in a a single olympics lessens the meaning of those medals. a gymnast who is the best in the world can win no more than 2 medals in a given olympics, and that's only if he/she is the best on their team so they can compete in the individual all around. i'd like to see them give all olympians who compete in major events such as gymnastics the oppurtunity to win that many medals. if you can win a gold silver or bronze for the 200m, 400m, 200m relay, etc in swimming, they should award gold silver and bronze for the best on the balance beam, pommel horse, still rings, floor, etc. and not make it an "all around" medal, even though a medal earned in this form means far more than the medals they award for everything in the swimming events.

i'm american and support the US team, but i don't think phelps is anywhere near the greatest olympian ever just because of his medal count. greatest swimmer, yes.

/rant

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
libby trickett and liesel jones are the same person... i swear to god ey :ughnoes:

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
you can't honestly be saying thorpe is better than phelps. i don't care where you're from, you must give phelps his due.

however one thing that really irritates me is NBA proclaiming phelps the greatest olympian ever. why? because of his medal count? that's absurd. the fact that a swimmer can even win what like 9 medals in a a single olympics lessens the meaning of those medals. a gymnast who is the best in the world can win no more than 2 medals in a given olympics, and that's only if he/she is the best on their team so they can compete in the individual all around. i'd like to see them give all olympians who compete in major events such as gymnastics the oppurtunity to win that many medals. if you can win a gold silver or bronze for the 200m, 400m, 200m relay, etc in swimming, they should award gold silver and bronze for the best on the balance beam, pommel horse, still rings, floor, etc. and not make it an "all around" medal, even though a medal earned in this form means far more than the medals they award for everything in the swimming events.

i'm american and support the US team, but i don't think phelps is anywhere near the greatest olympian ever just because of his medal count. greatest swimmer, yes.

/rant

Gymnastics is an all round sport. You have to be the best at everything to be the best. Swimming is different... obviously.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Gymnastics is an all round sport. You have to be the best at everything to be the best. Swimming is different... obviously.

ok you're going to have to elaborate your point here. this doesn't say much.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
*sigh* i really dont want to get into a deep conversation with you.

Gymnastics was started as a competition of physical strength skill and agility on ALLLLLLLLL the events. Swimming was started as swimmers swimming the individual events. PRetty sure the medelly was the last race to come to fruition? i think?

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
libby trickett and liesel jones are the same person... i swear to god ey :ughnoes:

nah because liesel jones has a terrible shoulder structure and libby tricket is as big as turkish...

id hit libby tricket :carduindisguise

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It is a valid argument. Thorpe contested the hardest events with the most outstanding competition in it. He didn't line up for several events he usually had a couple. He qualified to compete in the 50, 100, 200 and 400m freestyle and only contested two. There was no doubt at the time that he would have won three of those 4 (50m was anyone's). That's without any of the relay's which are kinda an excuse to give away medals.

I do admire Phelps though, as he is taking a wide range of medley distances and doing well. Would not be an easy ask to perform well in so many events.

however one thing that really irritates me is NBC proclaiming phelps the greatest olympian ever. why? because of his medal count? that's absurd. the fact that a swimmer can even win what like 9 medals in a a single olympics lessens the meaning of those medals. a gymnast who is the best in the world can win no more than 2 medals in a given olympics, and that's only if he/she is the best on their team so they can compete in the individual all around. i'd like to see them give all olympians who compete in major events such as gymnastics the oppurtunity to win that many medals. if you can win a gold silver or bronze for the 200m, 400m, 200m relay, etc in swimming, they should award gold silver and bronze for the best on the balance beam, pommel horse, still rings, floor, etc. and not make it an "all around" medal, even though a medal earned in this form means far more than the medals they award for everything in the swimming events.

/rant
Completely agree. Some events you have the chance to compete for one medal after performing many events. Heptathlon, Decathlon, gymnastics, weightlifting, etc are all given one medal and yet they have to master far more skills. I'm sure that if you gave out a medal for each event in the decathlon it would also get more coverage than any swim meet, as one guy could bring home 10 medals.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
^ lets start a petetion to get rid of all swimming strokes outside of freestyle to reduce the ammount of swimming medals plus boredom. Perhaps some field like swimming events could be incorparated instead. Like when we were kids and mum would throw the fluro stick into the water and we would race to get it that should be an olympic sport.

On a serious note tho. The coolest thing about swimming in a pool used to be to see how far you could swim underwater without taking a breathe why isnt underwater swimming an olympic sport? :(

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
chadcruz

chadcruz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

/rant

If that statement is true "NBC proclaiming Phelps to the be greatest Olympian ever" then why on earth are they not showing his final swims live in the USA? and instead showing "Access Hollywood"? Is it simply because the American public dont give a shit about it?
I find this extremely strange, especially considering NBC insisted on the swimming finals to take place AM Beijing time so that the finals would coincide with prime time US tv viewing.

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ The reason they font show it live is because they air it when it is more convenient to everyone in the U.S.A

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If that statement is true "NBC proclaiming Phelps to the be greatest Olympian ever" then why on earth are they not showing his final swims live in the USA? and instead showing "Access Hollywood"? Is it simply because the American public dont give a shit about it?
I find this extremely strange, especially considering NBC insisted on the swimming finals to take place AM Beijing time so that the finals would coincide with prime time US tv viewing.

dude i have no idea whay you're talking about. all i have is NBC's main channel (4) and they've broadcasted every one of phelps's events. i don't even have cable and i've been able to watch them all. you must have your times or something wrong because they are definately being broadcasted.

and i'm pretty sure that when it's nightfall where i live (primetime for viewing) it's the morning in china. so that would make sense that they would want the events to be done in the AM in china.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
aussie womens 4x200m freestyle team just fuckin owned EVERYONE and the world record by like 5 seconds.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
shame its only our women getting us gold in the pool. Skeptic tim go jump in the pool.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Skeptic said:
im keen if you are tim
I swim like a well designed brick. I'd be good at sinking and that is about it.
On a serious note tho. The coolest thing about swimming in a pool used to be to see how far you could swim underwater without taking a breathe why isnt underwater swimming an olympic sport? :(
That used to be called backstroke. They banned swimming underwater for too long as the swimmers were hyperventilating prior to the race and then would pass out underwater. They had a few people drown at a world event and banned it. Fortunately no one died.