• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

The Training Support Column MkII

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
After reading the progressive overload thread i found this. Might be helpful.

quote from Bran Haycock Haycock

The is a method of measuring motor unit activity called "Interpolated Twitch Technique", or ITT. ITT is used to determine the extent of activation of the entire muscle. Merton (Merton, 1954) was the first to use this technique to describe whole muscle activation. He showed full activation of the adductor pollicis with fatigue in untrained subjects. Several other studies have since shown a similar ability of untrained subjects to voluntarily fully activate various muscle groups (Bellemare 1983, Chapman 1985, Gandevia 1988, Belanger 1981). This directly contradicts the theory of strength increases due to the ability to activate more motor units.

The references he talked about:

Bellemare F., Woods JJ., Johansson R., Bigland-Ritchie B. Motor-unit discharge rates in maximal voluntary contractions of three human muscles. J. Neurophysiol. 50:1380-1392, 1983

Chapman SJ., Edwards RH., Gregg C., Rutherford O. Practical application of the twitch interpolation technique for the study of voluntary contraction of the quadriceps muscle in man. J. Physiol. (Lond) 353:3P. 1985

Belanger AY., McComas AJ. Extent of motor unit activation during effort. J. Appl. Physiol. 51:1131-1135. 1981

Gandevia SC., McKenzie DK. Activation of human muscles at short muscle lengths during maximal static efforts. J. Physiol. (Lond) 407:599-613. 1988

And some other i found:

Merton PA., Voluntary strength and fatigue. J. Physiol.(Lond.) 123:553-564. 1954

Allen, G. M., Gandevia, S. C. & McKenzie, D. K. (1995). Reliability of measurements of muscle strength and voluntary activation using twitch interpolation. Muscle and Nerve 18, 593-600

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Now this is interesting!!!!

I have had issues with the EMG diagnostic technique as it is site specific. MRI is better but not entirely practical, but most of those studies show decent activation rates as well (can't remember if they were noobs or not), and show some interesting stuff about what muscles are actually active during exercises.

So Jorn, Philo, IS; what is likely to be the cause of the massive increases in beginers strength? Is it that we actually do the oposite? I.e. As we become trained we learn to recruit only how much we need to do the task (efficiency in a different manner) and thus have the ability to turn on and off. Whereas noobs are "on" in that initial phase and gain well, then learn to switch off.

J

jornT

Sports Med. 2006;36(2):133-49. Links
Neural adaptations to resistive exercise: mechanisms and recommendations for training practices.

* Gabriel DA,
* Kamen G,
* Frost G.

Department of Physical Education and Kinesiology, Brock University, St Catharines, Ontario, Canada. dgabriel@brocku.ca

It is generally accepted that neural factors play an important role in muscle strength gains. This article reviews the neural adaptations in strength, with the goal of laying the foundations for practical applications in sports medicine and rehabilitation.An increase in muscular strength without noticeable hypertrophy is the first line of evidence for neural involvement in acquisition of muscular strength. The use of surface electromyographic (SEMG) techniques reveal that strength gains in the early phase of a training regimen are associated with an increase in the amplitude of SEMG activity. This has been interpreted as an increase in neural drive, which denotes the magnitude of efferent neural output from the CNS to active muscle fibres. However, SEMG activity is a global measure of muscle activity. Underlying alterations in SEMG activity are changes in motor unit firing patterns as measured by indwelling (wire or needle) electrodes. Some studies have reported a transient increase in motor unit firing rate. Training-related increases in the rate of tension development have also been linked with an increased probability of doublet firing in individual motor units. A doublet is a very short interspike interval in a motor unit train, and usually occurs at the onset of a muscular contraction. Motor unit synchronisation is another possible mechanism for increases in muscle strength, but has yet to be definitely demonstrated.There are several lines of evidence for central control of training-related adaptation to resistive exercise. Mental practice using imagined contractions has been shown to increase the excitability of the cortical areas involved in movement and motion planning. However, training using imagined contractions is unlikely to be as effective as physical training, and it may be more applicable to rehabilitation.Retention of strength gains after dissipation of physiological effects demonstrates a strong practice effect. Bilateral contractions are associated with lower SEMG and strength compared with unilateral contractions of the same muscle group. SEMG magnitude is lower for eccentric contractions than for concentric contractions. However, resistive training can reverse these trends. The last line of evidence presented involves the notion that unilateral resistive exercise of a specific limb will also result in training effects in the unexercised contralateral limb (cross-transfer or cross-education). Peripheral involvement in training-related strength increases is much more uncertain. Changes in the sensory receptors (i.e. Golgi tendon organs) may lead to disinhibition and an increased expression of muscular force.Agonist muscle activity results in limb movement in the desired direction, while antagonist activity opposes that motion. Both decreases and increases in co-activation of the antagonist have been demonstrated. A reduction in antagonist co-activation would allow increased expression of agonist muscle force, while an increase in antagonist co-activation is important for maintaining the integrity of the joint. Thus far, it is not clear what the CNS will optimise: force production or joint integrity.The following recommendations are made by the authors based on the existing literature. Motor learning theory and imagined contractions should be incorporated into strength-training practice. Static contractions at greater muscle lengths will transfer across more joint angles. Submaximal eccentric contractions should be used when there are issues of muscle pain, detraining or limb immobilisation. The reversal of antagonists (antagonist-to-agonist) proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation contraction pattern would be useful to increase the rate of tension development in older adults, thus serving as an important prophylactic in preventing falls. When evaluating the neural changes induced by strength training using EMG recording, antagonist EMG activity should always be measured and evaluated.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim's Top Tips

Top Tip #1

You should be doing dynamic warmups!

If you go into a gym and static stretch after a few minutes on a piece of cardio equipment as your warmup you deserve to have Michael Jackson as your babysitter in the gym creche.

Things to do in a dynamic warmup:
  • Raise the core temperature
  • Get joints mobile, especially knees, hips and shoulders
  • Do similar movements for the muscles about to be worked as you will be doing in your workout
  • Active release work for muscle adhesions
  • Activation work for target muscles

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim's Top Tips

Top Tip #2

Pullups should be done to the clavicle.

Yes its breatheren suggest only the chin need pass the bar, but that is only a partial rep. That last 4 inches of ROM makes the difference between hitting the back hard and not.

Add in that extra little bit of ROM and you will notice the difference!!

"But what about pulldowns?" I hear some say. All I have to say is, "Men do pullups and chinups. Are you a man or a mouse?!"

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim whats your thought on mobility work..?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Mobility is part of my warmup. I feel that it is part of dynamic warmups, and good for general light training.

It should be noted that it isn't the same as stretching, as that is not working on improving active ROM, rather just ROM.

I had pretty reasonable flexibility but had shithouse mobility (as do most people, just watch them squat!!). So improving that at the begining of a workout really adds to your training. Plus it acts as a great active release and can be activation work as well.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
tim290280 said:
Mobility is part of my warmup. I feel that it is part of dynamic warmups, and good for general light training.

It should be noted that it isn't the same as stretching, as that is not working on improving active ROM, rather just ROM.

I had pretty reasonable flexibility but had shithouse mobility (as do most people, just watch them squat!!). So improving that at the begining of a workout really adds to your training. Plus it acts as a great active release and can be activation work as well.

Didnt do a proper warm-up for a long time. After i'd hurt my schoulder i was thinking about doing some mobility work to prevent this kind of injury's. Eric Cressey made some interesting points about mobility training so i might give it a go.
Thanks for the awnser Tim.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Eric writes some great stuff, and was always helpfull to me on email when I was getting knee advice from him.

Also I believe his article from his Masters thesis is being published soon. It's on unstable surface training, and will be in J St Cond.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim's Top Tips

Top Tip #3

You Need to Work Your Hamstrings Harder and Smarter

Troll through just about any training log and most people have no hammy work, or only a leg curl. If people actually believe that their hammys will get enough work from the leg press then I bet you currently have your head shoved fair up your arse about global warming too!

How to work the hammies
  • Use a hip dominant pull to work the hip flexion role of the hammy. Try SLDL's, RDL's etc.
  • The SLDL's and their ilk seem to work best with slightly higher reps and a deep stretch (+8 reps)
  • Hammy curls work best with the toes pointed and for low reps (less than 5-6)
  • Glute Ham Raises are brilliant!!!! Petition your gym to get one now!
  • You should be hitting the hammies just as hard and regularly as the quads. There should be very little difference in the 1RM of your squat and SLDL.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
tim290280 said:
^^ Eric writes some great stuff, and was always helpfull to me on email when I was getting knee advice from him.

Also I believe his article from his Masters thesis is being published soon. It's on unstable surface training, and will be in J St Cond.

Yeah i know. Saw it in his newletter.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Is it just me or has his newsletter stopped?

I haven't checked his blog recently either.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
tim290280 said:
^^ Is it just me or has his newsletter stopped?

I haven't checked his blog recently either.

The last newsletter ive got is from may the second.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Hmmm I've fallen off the list then.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim's Top Tips

Top Tip #4

Don't use crutches: They are for wimps!

Crutches common in training:

• Belts - They don't help your back, in fact you are more likely to injure your back using one, and should only really be used for 1RM I.e. powerlifting.
    Gloves - Lifting weights is meant to make you tougher, not get you to accessorise. Use CHALK you wuss!
    Knee wraps - When used regularly actually set you up for tendon and ligament injuries from lack of strain placed on the knee. Only for max attempts I.e. powerlifting.
    Straps - If you can't hold it, you can't lift it. You are short changing your grip just to be able to lift more for another bodypart, and would probably like to put a Ferrari engine in your VW. Heaps of power, no handling!
    Squat suits - Unless you are competing in PLing they have no place in training.
    Bench Shirts - ditto

So man up and stop using these crutches. If a 80kg man can put 220kg overhead wearing shoes, shorts and a t-shirt you have to question why you need anything else either!

Glex

Glex

Diet cat says no spoon 4u
VIP
^^ You're using knee sleeves now :e5dunno:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Glex said:
^^ You're using knee sleeves now
:bowroflarms:

Better stop drinking that water too, it aids in performance as well.

Should make it clear that there is a difference between something that is a crutch or "helps" with lifting and something that is (often ergogenic) an aid. I'd classify knee sleeves, elbow warmers, shoes, orthodics, chalk, to some extent those manta ray devices, and elbow grease as aids to training. They don't offer 'support' that leads to deficiences in training (e.g. grip strength), but instead promote heat and circulation, etc to help avoid the problems.

Glex

Glex

VIP
Well, how close is the line between knee sleeves and knee wraps? I know they're not as tight, but doesn't it keep things together in kind of the same way knee wraps do? The aid might not be much, but I'll bet it's there. I mean, I can feel a little extra spring from wrapping a body part with an ace bandage.

I still disagree with you on straps, too :spy: I've got a naturally wimpy grip :tear:, and I know I wouldn't be deadlifting or shrugging over 300 pounds without them. But I do steer away from them more often now :xyxthumbs:

Also, I'm still going to wear a belt :spy:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^This could get philosophical and we'll have to invite Serb!

Knee wraps are designed to increase the pressure around the knee and add support. The knee sleeve is more like thermal underwear, although some can help with patella tracking. Bascially if it gives you extra pounds on your squat then it is a wrap, my knee sleeves don't add any spring.

I know for people with weak grips that the straps are a handy tool to keep lifting. I myself was close to getting some when I did my hand earlier this year. But I stand by the statement as most people are not using them as an aid to training but rather as a crutch and exaggerating the poor grip strength. (An analogy may run like: If you had weak pecs and couldn't start the press off your chest in the bench would you put a spring there or get stronger?) Most grip aids are usually used due to people not knowing how to, or not training their grip, rather than as an over-reaching tool. So I agree but disagree, depending on the circumstance.

Belts are interesting. I haven't used one in years, originally out of poor student syndrome, then out of realisation of the lack of need for one. The more reading I do the more I see that belts when used regularly actually stop you from developing the mid section strength, and strength transference required for a healthy back. A recent belt review on lifting and non-lifting belt uses (industry use by workers) found that the incidence of back injuries was actually higher from usage of belts. For max efforts I've read papers that show no significant difference between successfull attempts by the same athletes with and without a belt (although belted lifts were higher, but not statistically significant, but would have made the difference to elite lifters like those tested). So most of the reasons people use them are actually more myth and physcological than anything.

So I point squarely at the Olympic weightlifters when talking about belts. Even on the heaviest lifts you will find as many lifters not wearing a belt as wearing one. Supporting a load overhead is possibly the hardest work your mid section (and thus greatest need for a belt) could ever have, and half of the elite competitiors don't bother with one!

But the point of the Tips was just to get people to think about new ways of training, as much as anything. Not calling anyone out for doing the opposite of what I have posited. :spy:

So does anyone accessorise with gloves? :gaygay:

Glex

Glex

VIP
tim290280 said:
Bascially if it gives you extra pounds on your squat then it is a wrap, my knee sleeves don't add any spring.
Fair enough.

I know you weren't calling anyone out, just wanted to play devil's advocate :spy:

One thing I don't understand, though, is why you should use belts for a 1RM. I mean, I guess the leading doctor on spinal health might know why, but it seems like it should be more of a weight threshold thing, and it seems odd that that threshold is 'always' at someone's 1RM.