• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

The Training Support Column MkII

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Chesty said:
Tim, can you tell me the correct way to do a dumbbell crossface? I've never done the exercise before, and I want to try it for triceps tomorrow.
This is straight out of Arnies Encyclopedia. Basically lay down on the bench, grab a dumbbell, and lower it across your chest so that you brush the oposite shoulder with the bell. This is very similar to the dumbbell french press, except you are touching the oposite shoulder, and doing them unilaterally.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Dilmun said:
Sorry but thats way over my head can u break it down for us in laymans terms
Basically it says that the exercise in an area (a leg) increases the mobilisation of fat from that area into the blood for energy, as opposed to the non exercised leg. In this way it may be feasible to suggest that spot reduction could occur. But it would need to be studied long term to see if this results in site reduction of adipose tissue significantly different from the other leg.

Dilmun Bull

Dilmun Bull

^^ Cool So Arnie might have been right about preforming 10min of abdominal exercersies a day

imraan47

imraan47

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
is there a way to targer more of the lower abs? I'm having great trouble loosing that little fat that i want to get rid of and basically i want my lower ones to show, which they are not.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Not to my knowledge. There is a fair bit of debate over isolating a section of the muscle, with some citing penation angles of muscles as a possibility, and the fact that eccentric training can tend to incurr more muscle damage at origins and instertions of muscles.

But this is counter to EMG studies that show no difference between the nerve impulses and muscle contraction of the entire belly of the muscle.

As for getting rid of that lower ab fat, I have the same issue. I think this has more to do with never having been really lean (like competition lean in the less than 7% range). So losing that fat in a diet and then coming back out to a maintenance fat level may give more even fat distribution that will mean better looking abs at the same previous BF levels...... Just a theory I'm toying with (any input welcome).

imraan47

imraan47

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
tim290280 said:
^^ Not to my knowledge. There is a fair bit of debate over isolating a section of the muscle, with some citing penation angles of muscles as a possibility, and the fact that eccentric training can tend to incurr more muscle damage at origins and instertions of muscles.

But this is counter to EMG studies that show no difference between the nerve impulses and muscle contraction of the entire belly of the muscle.

As for getting rid of that lower ab fat, I have the same issue. I think this has more to do with never having been really lean (like competition lean in the less than 7% range). So losing that fat in a diet and then coming back out to a maintenance fat level may give more even fat distribution that will mean better looking abs at the same previous BF levels...... Just a theory I'm toying with (any input welcome).

This is exactly what i am trying to do. The body fat in the abdominals seem to be increasing from the top abs to the belly area. the only issue, at least for me, is that if i get down to the 7% bf (not that that is not hard enough!) but i will loose my chest and arms. My chest is not too big, my arms being only 16inches will probably get reduced and inch. i was hoping that at the start of this month, i would start to bulk up but that is not going to work out yet as i have alot of 'cutting' to do.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is a dilemma, but only really because of conflicting priorities. If you want abs, then thats what you need to do. If you want to gain muscle then thats what you should continue to do.

Also, yes you will lose some fat mass off the chest and arms, but you will be leaner and actually look bigger. Provided you diet right the muscle loss should be minimal.

What is your current BF? Weight?height?

imraan47

imraan47

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
tim290280 said:
This is a dilemma, but only really because of conflicting priorities. If you want abs, then thats what you need to do. If you want to gain muscle then thats what you should continue to do.

Also, yes you will lose some fat mass off the chest and arms, but you will be leaner and actually look bigger. Provided you diet right the muscle loss should be minimal.

What is your current BF? Weight?height?

current weight is 166lbs, about 5'6" - 5'7", BF% no clue but you can take a look at my pics in the VIP section.
see your PM for the link to my pics.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Comparison of intersegmental tibiofemoral joint forces and muscle activity during various closed kinetic chain exercises
MJ Stuart, DA Meglan, GE Lutz, ES Growney and KN An
Biomechanics Laboratory, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA.

The purpose of this study was to analyze intersegmental forces at the tibiofemoral joint and muscle activity during three commonly prescribed closed kinetic chain exercises: the power squat, the front squat, and the lunge. Subjects with anterior cruciate ligament-intact knees performed repetitions of each of the three exercises using a 223-N (50-pound) barbell. The results showed that the mean tibiofemoral shear force was posterior (tibial force on femur) throughout the cycle of all three exercises. The magnitude of the posterior shear forces increased with knee flexion during the descent phase of each exercise. Joint compression forces remained constant throughout the descent and ascent phases of the power squat and the front squat. A net offset in extension for the moment about the knee was present for all three exercises. Increased quadriceps muscle activity and the decreased hamstring muscle activity are required to perform the lunge as compared with the power squat and the front squat. A posterior tibiofemoral shear force throughout the entire cycle of all three exercises in these subjects with anterior cruciate ligament-intact knees indicates that the potential loading on the injured or reconstructed anterior cruciate ligament is not significant. The magnitude of the posterior tibiofemoral shear force is not likely to be detrimental to the injured or reconstructed posterior cruciate ligament. These conclusions assume that the resultant anteroposterior shear force corresponds to the anterior and posterior cruciate ligament forces

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
imrann47 said:
current weight is 166lbs, about 5'6" - 5'7", BF% no clue but you can take a look at my pics in the VIP section.
see your PM for the link to my pics.
At a guess I'd say your ~15-18%. Your quads/bis are well defined but chest etc aren't, so hard to judge.

I think getting a bit leaner would be good, as it will make the physique look good, and give a realistic guide to how much muscle you actually want/need to put on. This way you are leaner when you put on mass, so that you can keep an eye on how much fat goes on and limit calories so that muscle gain is emphasised.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
imraan47

imraan47

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
tim290280 said:
At a guess I'd say your ~15-18%. Your quads/bis are well defined but chest etc aren't, so hard to judge.

I think getting a bit leaner would be good, as it will make the physique look good, and give a realistic guide to how much muscle you actually want/need to put on. This way you are leaner when you put on mass, so that you can keep an eye on how much fat goes on and limit calories so that muscle gain is emphasised.

Well those pics are kind of biased now. my bf is quite low since i have been dieting for about 4 weeks i think. so my upper abs are showing alot more. having trouble with the lower abdominals atm. my diet is mostly protein, few carbs and fats. main source of fat is from meat. main source of carbs is from oats and brown rice. i'm thinking of taking new pics sometime this week to go with my training log. part of the problem with my chest is the shoulder injury. btw finally was able to get through to get an appointment with the school atheletic therapy guys. its on Thursday at 5pm so lets see what their diagnosis is all about. will post details on what they told me here for your reviews.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
tim290280 said:
Interesting stuff. There was debate raised about spot reduction, as the original papers that called it myth were rather limited in scope (tennis player forearms). So now we may have something more concrete. Of course the effect measured here is minimal.

Are blood flow and lipolysis in subcutaneous adipose tissue influenced by contractions in adjacent muscles in humans?
Bente Stallknecht1*, Flemming Dela1, and Jorn Wulff Helge2

Aerobic exercise increases whole-body adipose tissue lipolysis, but is lipolysis higher in subcutaneous adipose tissue (SCAT) adjacent to contracting muscles than in SCAT adjacent to resting muscles? Ten healthy, overnight-fasted males performed one-legged knee extension exercise at 25% of maximal workload (Wmax) for 30 minutes followed by exercise at 55% Wmax for 120 minutes with the other leg and finally exercised at 85% Wmax for 30 minutes with the first leg. Subjects rested for 30 minutes between exercise periods. Femoral SCAT blood flow was estimated from washout of 133Xe and lipolysis was calculated from femoral SCAT interstitial and arterial glycerol concentrations and blood flow. In general, blood flow as well as lipolysis was higher in femoral SCAT adjacent to contracting than adjacent to resting muscle (time 15-30 min: blood flow: 25% Wmax: 6.6 ± 1.0 vs. 3.9 ± 0.8 ml 100 g-1 min-1, P < 0.05; 55% Wmax: 7.3 ± 0.6 vs. 5.0 ± 0.6, P < 0.05; 85% Wmax: 6.6 ± 1.3 vs. 5.9 ± 0.7, P > 0.05; lipolysis: 25% Wmax: 102 ± 19 vs. 55 ± 14 nmol 100 g-1 min-1, P = 0.06; 55% Wmax: 86 ± 11 vs. 50 ± 20, P > 0.05; 85% Wmax: 88 ± 31 vs. -9 ± 25, P < 0.05). In conclusion, blood flow and lipolysis are generally higher in SCAT adjacent to contracting than adjacent to resting muscle irrespective of exercise intensity. Thus, specific exercises can induce "spot lipolysis" in adipose tissue.

Great find tim, so "spot reduction" can occur...

I only wonder if the fat tissue won't redistribute over the body after a while... but this is still interesting

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Storm said:
Great find tim, so "spot reduction" could possibly occur...

I only wonder if the fat tissue won't redistribute over the body after a while... but this is still interesting
Fixed.

The theory is that the active areas are going to use the localised fat stores, and then fat will be less prevalent there long term. This has been noticed by athletes changing their training, basically they carry fat in differenet places according to what training they are doing.

S

sherx

tim290280 said:
Putting the call out to all bodybuilders.
The problem claimed is that this is discrimination against people who are overweight/obese. They went on to claim that obesity is a disease, a disability, something that can't be helped.

You know my stand here, you choose to be fat, there is no disability or disease involved. But with obesity rates ever increasing, it is likely we will start to see being overweight as a disability.

Now this is discrimination that the bodybuilding world can use to their advantage. The average BBer is already overweight according to the society gold standard, the BMI (Body Mass Index). All we would have to do is bulk up to a BMI of 30+ (25 the cut-off for overweight) and presto, we are disabled. With this horrendous disability we would now be able to go on a disability pension (3/4 pay) and do nothing but train all day.

So join me now in supporting the BMI and the "obesity is a disability" push from the masses. We could end up the most lean, fit and strong disability pensioners ever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hahahaha, i support this 100 percent :-D....so at what age do i get my disability pension then? :-D

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ There are a number of organisations that have put in proposals on behalf of their tubby members, so could be any time in the next year. There are some people already drawing a disability pension for being overweight (but usually because they have another health complication), don't know how widespread that is yet though.

I think if some lazy fatass can get a pension to sit around all day getting fatter, we should be able to get paid to work out too!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 85, No. 1, 35-39, January 2007
© 2007 American Society for Nutrition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL RESEARCH COMMUNICATION

Waist circumference is associated with pulmonary function in normal-weight, overweight, and obese subjects1,2,3 Yue Chen, Donna Rennie, Yvon F Cormier and James Dosman
1 From the Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada (YC); the Institute of Agricultural Rural and Environmental Health (DR and JD) and the College of Nursing (DR), University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada; and the Centre de Pneumologie, Hôpital and Université Laval, Sainte-Foy, Canada (YFC)

Background: Obesity is becoming a serious public health issue and is related to lung dysfunction. Because both weight and height are indicators of body size, body mass index (BMI) may not be an ideal index of obesity in prediction of pulmonary dysfunction.

Objective: The objective of the study was to determine the predictability of waist circumference (WC) and BMI for pulmonary function in adults with and without excess body weight.

Design: A cross-sectional study of 1674 adults aged 18 y was conducted in a rural community. Height, weight, WC, and pulmonary function were measured. Multivariate analysis was conducted.

Results: WC was negatively associated with forced vital capacity and forced expiratory volume in 1 s, and the associations were consistent across sex, age, and BMI categories. On average, a 1-cm increase in WC was associated with a 13-mL reduction in forced vital capacity and an 11-mL reduction in forced expiratory volume in 1 s. The association between WC and pulmonary function was consistent in subjects with normal weight, overweight, and obesity. In subjects with normal weight, BMI was positively associated with forced vital capacity and forced expiratory volume in 1 s.

Conclusion: WC, but not BMI, is negatively and consistently associated with pulmonary function in normal-weight, overweight, and obese subjects.

Key Words: Adults • body mass index • lung • lung function • obesity • waist circumference
Something to think about. It wasn't done on athletic people, but clearly the larger waist is not a good thing. Keep in mind before that next bulk.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 85, No. 1, 54-59, January 2007

Supplementation with calcium + vitamin D enhances the beneficial effect of weight loss on plasma lipid and lipoprotein concentrations1,2,3
Geneviève C Major, Francine Alarie, Jean Doré, Sakouna Phouttama and Angelo Tremblay
1 From the Division of Kinesiology, Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Laval University, Ste-Foy, Canada

Background: Adequate calcium intake can have a favorable effect on some metabolic variables.

Objective: The objective of the study was to determine the effects of daily calcium intake and of supplementation with calcium and vitamin D (calcium+D) during a weight-loss intervention on blood pressures, plasma lipid and lipoprotein concentrations, and glucose and insulin concentrations in low calcium consumers.

Design: Healthy, overweight or obese women (n = 63) with a daily calcium intake of <800 mg/d were randomly assigned in a double-blind manner to 1 of 2 groups: the group consuming 2 tablets/d of a calcium + vitamin D supplement (600 mg elemental calcium and 200 IU vitamin D/tablet) or the group consuming placebo; both groups observed a 700 kcal/d energy restriction. These 63 women then completed a 15-wk weight-loss intervention.

Results: Initial daily calcium intake was significantly correlated with plasma HDL cholesterol (r = 0.41, P < 0.001) and with 2-h postload glycemia (r = –0.29, P < 0.05) during an oral-glucose-tolerance test, independent of fat mass and waist circumference. After the 15-wk intervention, significantly greater decreases in total:LDL and LDL:HDL (P < 0.01 for both) and of LDL cholesterol (P < 0.05) were observed in the calcium+D group than in the placebo group. The differences in total:HDL and LDL:HDL were independent of changes in fat mass and in waist circumference. A tendency for more beneficial changes in HDL cholesterol, triacylglycerol, and total cholesterol was also observed in the calcium+D group (P = 0.08).

Conclusion: Consumption of calcium+D during a weight-loss intervention enhanced the beneficial effect of body weight loss on the lipid and lipoprotein profile in overweight or obese women with usual low daily calcium intake.

Key Words: Caltrate • lipoproteins • glucose • insulin • blood pressure

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
And this months "No shit Sherlock!" award goes to:
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 85, No. 1, 109-116, January 2007

Exercise increases the proportion of fat utilization during short-term consumption of a high-fat diet1,2,3
Kent C Hansen, Zhumin Zhang, Terri Gomez, Alexandra K Adams and Dale A Schoeller
1 From the Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI (KCH, ZZ, TG, and DAS), the University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics, Madison, WI (AKA), and the TIBIA Massage School, Madison, WI (TG)

Background: Increases in energy substrate oxidation occur at different rates after an increase in either fat or carbohydrate intake. Adaptations to increased fat intake are relatively slow and are influenced by activity level.

Objective: We tested the hypothesis that increased levels of daily activity, as influenced by added exercise, would have a graded effect on the rate of compensatory adjustment to a short-term high-fat diet.

Design: Daily total energy expenditure and macronutrient oxidation were measured at 3 physical activity levels (PALs) by using a whole-room indirect calorimeter in 10 adult women as they transitioned from a 1-d low-fat (30% of energy) control diet to a 4-d high-fat (50% of energy) diet. The 3 PALs (1.4, 1.6, and 1.8) were provided daily by increases in bicycle ergometer exercise time.

Results: An increase in physical activity led to a greater increase in the nonprotein respiratory exchange ratio (–0.047 ± 0.02, –0.064 ± 0.02, and –0.071 ± 0.02; P < 0.0001) and 24-h fat oxidation (113 ± 24, 125 ± 19, and 147 ± 20 g/d; P < 0.0001) for PALs of 1.4, 1.6, and 1.8, respectively, after the transition from the low-fat control diet to the high-fat diet. Random-effects analysis found a significant (P = 0.003) relation between PAL and the compensatory fat oxidation response to a high-fat diet.

Conclusions: Amounts of exercise consistent with the Institute of Medicine's recommendations reduce the time required to match fat oxidation to a change in the percentage of fat in the diet. Because short-term consumption of high-fat diets is thought to contribute to excess fat accumulation, regular exercise should be protective and should help maintain a healthy body composition. Fuck! Really?

Key Words: Obesity • metabolism • high-fat diet • fat oxidation • exercise • indirect calorimetry

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've been reading a few books recently to update myself on knowledge that has been around for longer than I've been alive. It is interesting what is supposedly new knowledge and yet has been in circulation for decades. These are most recent books I've read.

Vince Gironda - Legend and Myth by Alan Palmieri. Now Vince was the one of the first super trainers, but a lot of his "proven" techniques are part of the mythology of BBing today. He also shares a lot in common with another out-spoken trainer, Arthur Jones.

Now one interesting method of his, that I have also seen in HIT, and also in HVT advocates, is the 4 exercise super set for a body part. This attack is moving from one exercise to the next for four exercises, performed once, to challenge the four sides of the muscle. Interesting.
Recommend: reading if you are interested in training history.

New Unnatural Athlete - Charles Staley. This is a wide ranging publication. It isn't really a book, as it is really a collection of training columns and articles written by Charles and his team. It covers everything from the mental side of training, through to a basic how to of his EDT (esculating density training) program.

I like Charles, but I'm glad this was a freebie. For a super knowledgable guy, I was expecting more insights, science and facts. I'm hoping he doesn't go the way of Check and Poliquin and disappear up his own arse.
Recommend: read it if you liked Staleys views on training. I have posted some articles by him here before to help make that call.

Body For Life - Bill Phillips. This is like a basics book for weight training or BBing newbies. I'd actually have to say read this just because it is a phenomenon. Once you've finished reading it, go back to your Max-OT manual, or your DC training manual, and note the simularities. Then realise that Bill Phillips just created a book and contest using the same principles every beginer was already using.
Recommend: for beginers, and refreshing memories of intermediates>advanced.

The Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan. A must for any critical thinker.
Recommend: Ok BBers and non-interlectuals will find this about as interesting as measuring nitrogen surplus in their urine, but Steven Hawking turned astro-physics into a must (try to) read.