• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

weights in weight training

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

i have been back at gym for about a month, i've always used pyramiding in my weight training, going up in weights in each set, but i remember when i first started gym i was always advised to stick with a wegiht set a target of reps and then once that was reach comfortably to move onto higher weight.

before i took my brake from training for four months i remember i wasnt moving the numbers of weights higher at any great speed but when i first started training and using the scheme ppl advised me i was moving up quick, i just wana noo what people think, will this benifit or harm me in training or if any other techniques that they no of??? :xyxthumbs:

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
as long as you warm up properly you shouldnt need to pyramid unless thats what works for you (that was dorian yates training philosophy). Try out a 3x3 5x5 or something along those lines.. both are good for building up your strength :xyxthumbs:

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
When your a beginner it doesnt matter what you do because your gonna get stronger no matter what. But if your past that stage you have to train smart to become stronger. There are many ways to Rome so try a few techniques yourself and see what they do for you. Imo using the same weight for the whole set could be great because your totall moved weight (tonnage) sets x reps x weight is gonna be higher than when using a pyramid style training.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Just do basically 2 warm up sets on your first exercises lets say and comfortably do about 12-15 reps each. Then do one more set, this is the real shit. increase the weight so you fail between the 6-10 rep range. This is how I train and It's great.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i have been back at gym for about a month, i've always used pyramiding in my weight training, going up in weights in each set, but i remember when i first started gym i was always advised to stick with a wegiht set a target of reps and then once that was reach comfortably to move onto higher weight.

before i took my brake from training for four months i remember i wasnt moving the numbers of weights higher at any great speed but when i first started training and using the scheme ppl advised me i was moving up quick, i just wana noo what people think, will this benifit or harm me in training or if any other techniques that they no of??? :xyxthumbs:

First, the strength improvements and physique improvements from when you first begin are not from overloading the muscle (meaning hypertrophic gains), but more neurological adaptions. When you begin training, your glycogen uptake and blood circulation increases. At 5-6 wks, this begins to fade.

Second, moving up weight when you're reading is the baseline of progressive overload.

What happened to you is normal and proper, but unfortunately these "quick" gains, or adaptions, slow down- then you're in the real game.

As far as recommending a program, it depends on goals. There's too many variables to create a program/regime.

Hope this helps!

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good posts so far, but yeah, it depends on the goals, your lifestyle, and so on.

There are different ways to do things, and it's difficult to ever really pinpoint the "best" way to do things. Ie, should one stick with 5 sets of 5 at the same weight? Or work up to a true 5RM? there will be theories, but never really absolute answers.

The only thing I can really say for sure though, get a log book, and some plate mates (weighted magnets). For example, say one week, you do 100lbs for 10 reps on bicep curls. a 5lb jump every successive workout is a big jump, and it's not possible to do this all the time (if it was, you'd be curling 200 lbs for 10 reps, 20 workouts later). But, plate mates can make it so you can jump a few lbs each week, they're a great tool.

Another good way to train is called Daily Undulating periodization, where you do something like this.

Workout 1- 100lbs on bicep curls for 10 reps
Workout 2- 105 lbs on bicep curls for 10 reps
Workout 3- 110 lbs on bicep curls for 9 reps
Workout 4- 115 lbs for 8 reps
Workout 5- 120 for 6 reps

Then:

workout 6- 110lbs for 10 reps.
.... etc.

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

i tried the sticking with the same weight for reps scheme, doing one warm up set and then two heavy sets but same weight for my last three work outs and for most exercises i cood not reach the same amount of reps for the second heavy set as i did the first, i fink i will give this a go and see how much i improve, what do use think about that?

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
drop the weight a bit and increase the volume... do 4 working sets instead of 2