• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

When are we Bodybuilders

jwill0214

jwill0214

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree 100%.

Anyway tim290280, some of us body build religiously, but will never be able to compete on stage because we weren't born with great genetics. I would love to compete, but I don't have super wide shoulders and a small waist (I'm like Gunter with out the wide shoulders).

I think a lot of it has to do with the attitude too. Back in the Golden Era of bodybuilding, even before that, bodybuilders were people that you can look up to. They were positive, hard working, down the earth, manly mans. That's what it's all about for me, I think you learn a lot in the gym and it makes you a better person too. Bill Pearl is a prime example of this. But that's my opinion though.

I have been to a lot of smaller shows that almost all of them don't have amazing genetics. If you really wanted to compete then you would compete no matter what placing you think you might get.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Johnny5 said:
I agree 100%.

Anyway tim290280, some of us body build religiously, but will never be able to compete on stage because we weren't born with great genetics. I would love to compete, but I don't have super wide shoulders and a small waist (I'm like Gunter with out the wide shoulders).

I think a lot of it has to do with the attitude too. Back in the Golden Era of bodybuilding, even before that, bodybuilders were people that you can look up to. They were positive, hard working, down the earth, manly mans. That's what it's all about for me, I think you learn a lot in the gym and it makes you a better person too. Bill Pearl is a prime example of this. But that's my opinion though.
See this post:
I have been to a lot of smaller shows that almost all of them don't have amazing genetics. If you really wanted to compete then you would compete no matter what placing you think you might get.
:2:

I've noticed how a lot of great athletes show up at the olympics every year. Competitors from all over the world. Some of them have personal bests that were barely inside the qualifying marks, yet they still show up to be knocked out in the first heat by the guys that are at the top of the heap. Why do these losers show up? Because they are there to do their best and test themselves against the best.

I'd never rock up to compete against the best, as I know I'm not at that level, but there are so many tiers of the sport and various comps available that saying you don't have the genetics to compete is really just saying you don't have the will to compete.:soapbox:

All I am saying is that sport is really about competing and finding your best. In a team it is about helping your team compete at their best. So don't let a losers mindset hold you back from the thrill of competing.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I don't consider myself a bodybuilder because I my main concern is strength.

At the same time I don't consider myself a powerlifter because I don't compete yet.

Until then I just consider myself a 'strength athlete.'

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
If i play basketball in my drive way I don't call myself a basketball player. And I never here anyone ever say I am a competitive basketball player compared to just a regular basketball player.

I hope you read this maxmonzsteeeeeer

i consider myself a casual lifter. even tho i tried to compete in the past im still a casual lifter not as serious as 95% of people on the board or most people in RL at the gym

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with Lance.

If you train with weights to improve your body you are a bodybuilder.

Maybe Tim and Pain must then come up with another name for the guys who don't compete.

What do they do? Bodysculpting? Bodyshaping? Weight training? Going to gym? Weights?

hydro

hydro

The term 'hobby' cant be interpreted in a few ways, i mean most of us who have competed before are competitive bodybuilders however unless your a pro you dont do it full time, because you would most likely be studying or working full time so then could you call it a hobby that you do in your spare time outside of work?

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What do you call someone who used to compete?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What do you call someone who used to compete?

What do you call a person who used to play football? :bitelip:

Seriously I know that it hurts everyone's fragile little egos to think that they aren't actually a BBer because they aren't competing, but get over it. :talkhand:

There is no other sport where people will claim to be X sport person when they don't compete at some level. It is a whole other level of endevour to actually compete. Like I said previously, the categorisation that people seem happy to have means that overweight housewives fall into the BBer category. We all know that just isn't the case.

P

Pain

VIP
You can only call yourself a bodybuilder, powerlifter, football player ect if you do it for a living or competitively.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Does that mean that Max is called a bodybuilder because he competes and someone like Lee Priest isn't? Or if Turk decides to do a show next year and the show is cancelled or he pulls out at the last minute, it means that this year he was a bodybuilder, but next year he isn't?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Does that mean that Max is called a bodybuilder because he competes and someone like Lee Priest isn't? Or if Turk decides to do a show next year and the show is cancelled or he pulls out at the last minute, it means that this year he was a bodybuilder, but next year he isn't?

Call yourself whatever you want.

I'm going to claim I'm a Guitarist, Luthier, Cabinet Maker, Footballer, Driver and Water Skier. Of course any people that actually do any of those professions would call me a pretentious prick and be pointing and laughing.

P

Pain

VIP

Max doing a show isn't him being competitive, its him coming last. :soapbox:

If you do a show and are "competiting" and not just showing up, I think its safe to say, you're a bodybuilder.

I don't know what the fixation over calling yourself a bodybuilder is. You sure as hell aren't going to put "bodybuilder" on your C.V. now are you? Even a competitive bodybuilder is probably going to mention he does shows as a hobby on a C.V.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sorry, but I think sexnews is right.

You can be a bodybuilder without being your job, only as a hobby and without competing. That's why the term "pro bodybuilder" exists.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ all the guys doing the national qualifiers are def. bbers, do you consider yourself as much a bber as them?

You are not a bber if you dont compete, or for that matter, never did a complete prep for a show and have proof of competitionlike physique and condition.

Maxmonzter

Maxmonzter

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i would say your a bodybuilder when you put in the work. train like a bodybuilder and eat like a bodybuilder then your a bodybuilder. but there is a recreational bodybuilder and a competetive bodybuilder

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Maybe Tim and Pain must then come up with another name for the guys who don't compete.

What do they do? Bodysculpting? Bodyshaping? Weight training? Going to gym? Weights?

Gymrat?

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ but a "recreational basketball player"can't be called a baller unless he has played in a team. I used to be in a team, and I called myself a basketballplayer. Nowadays, i jsut like playing basketball.

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodybuilder

Bodybuilding is a form of body modification involving intensive muscle hypertrophy; an individual who engages in this activity is referred to as a bodybuilder. In competitive bodybuilding, bodybuilders display their physiques to a panel of judges, who assign points based on their appearance. The muscles are revealed through a combination of fat loss, oils, and tanning (or tanning lotions) which combined with lighting make the definition of the muscle group more distinct

jwill0214

jwill0214

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^ How about you get your definition from an actual dictionary.. I can go on wikipedia right now and change that definition to what I want it to say. And secondly you were looking for a name to call you people that aren't bodybuilders... WEIGHT LIFTERS that is what you guys are WEIGHT LIFTERS