• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

2011 IFBB "FLEX" Pro show - 1st show of the 2011 bodybuilding season

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
^
My buddy was talking to him at gold's and he said dexter and kai better bring their A game coz he is gonna give them a run for their money.... idk but im sure he will do well, he is a freak.

edit: which ben were you talking about? from now on we should say ben white or ben P so we dont get them confused.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ He was talking about Ben White, I'm pretty sure. :p

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
December 22, 2010

Grinding It Out!

I'm into the meat of the prep now and things are a little slower now. It?s almost like most of the fat is gone but it?s too soon to take it all off, so we wait. It has to be done and although it sounds like a nice thing, those of you who have competed before know that the waiting game can be the hardest part. Most people think the hard part is getting up and blasting cardio seven days a week or eating bland, ****ty food, but that?s not the case. For most competitive bodybuilders the hard part is not being able to make gains.

Fouad20skull20crushers20B26W5B15D-1.jpg

As I sit here typing my weight is still sitting at a lean 270lbs, it?s almost like a car sitting at a stop light revving its engine waiting to go. I can feel my body primed to go to the extreme level it has to go to for the win. After 12 years of competing I just know the feeling, I think after two years of working with me Hany knows it too. He is keeping my body at bay and at this point where one small change in the diet or cardio could get me even drier or in better condition. It?s definitely comforting knowing at any moment we could drop the hammer and in a few weeks I could hit the stage. I know for Hany it?s not as comforting though; dropping too fast is just as bad as not dropping at all.

On the business side of things I have decided to start training people in the gym. It wasn't something I really wanted to get into but I do a lot of online coaching and realized that I need to see how these people are training in the gym. Obviously I can't do this for all my clients since some are very far away but the ones around Toronto, Ontario or Windsor, Ontario do have that option. I have also finally gotten to work on a portion of my clothing line that should be done by the New Year, free for all clients and will be available for fans! For more info check out fouadhossabiad.com!

Fouad20Peracher20curlB26W5B15D-1.jpg

It?s too close to the show to be pounding back lbs of food so you can keep growing and it?s too far from the show to stay on the stepmill for more than 35min a day. So what do I do to keep myself mentally stable you ask? Other than shop for stuff online, I do all the extras. I do the stuff most guys don't like to do: I do the therapy, the stretching, and the posing. I invest more time into my visualization of the show and learning about how I can make my mind stronger entering such a big show. When your goal is to beat a former Mr.O there is nothing that you should stop short at when thinking you can beat him. Everyday I go through in my mind the battle between me and Dexter. It may sound ludicrous to some of you for me to think that but without that thought being played out in my mind there is no way I can be ready for it on Feb.19th when it happens. I am preparing in every way possible: Conditioning, physically and mentally. I will be prepared and that?s the name of the game!

Sacrifice Without Regret,

Fouad 'Hoss' Abiad

Last edited by a moderator:
pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ben Pakulski is a freak... Ben White is a comedian, right?

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Ben white is a joke. I want to see him eat his words like he did in the Bros Vs Pros comp.

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
December 22, 2010

Holiday Traveling

A new week begins on a killer note! Great back workout with Charles on Sunday, then a great chest workout on Monday. Loved these two workouts for the completely new feel they allowed me to experience in my working muscles. We tried some new angles and manipulated arm position to something I had never tried before. It felt like a whole new type of stimulus for the muscle. Check out the videos on FLEXONLINE.com in coming weeks! I saw a pretty significant drop in weight this week, about 4lbs. Having done really nothing different this week than the last, I attribute it to a little bit of water loss and some fat loss from the metabolism starting to really kick!

Ben_chest_1220-1.jpg

I did some posing for Charles today after the workout and he seems pleasantly surprised with the changes we have made and very optimistic about the package I will bring to the stage this spring!

I?m writing this blog from the crowded confines of LAX airport. The holiday travel season is upon us and I have the pleasure of enduring the 11pm ?red eye? departure time. I forgot the joys of traveling when dieting for a contest. Its uncomfortable enough traveling as a 300+lb bodybuilder, but try having to carry 10lbs of food, as well as laptop and personal belongings on a tiny crowded airplane for a 5 hour flight.

For some reason, the gross greasy food in airports always seems way more appealing than it does when you drive past it on the streets. It?s kind of like road trips and the assumed stops at fast food joints. Its almost like my brain is programmed to expect to indulge in some grease as soon as you step in an airport or sit in a car for a long road trip. This is honestly probably the only time I think about junk food - I?m not a big junk guy anymore. Don?t worry Hany; I?ve got my chicken boobs, cold tilapia and broccoli ready to be devoured!

Anyway, I hear a nap calling my name. At least I?ve got all my bags to keep me warm and comfortable. Got to get my rest. Straight to the gym for cardio when I land in TO!

Enjoy every step of the journey. There is no such thing as achieving the goal. Once you get there, there is only?.what?s next?! FOCUS, GROW!

Ben

Ben_Charles-1.jpg

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
Fouad update

December 24, 2010

Visiting Santa and Sticking to the Plan!

Season's Greetings!

Well it?s that time of year again and everyone is going crazy shopping (cool for me, gives me an excuse to spend money), going to office parties, eating tons of good food and making New Year's resolutions. Somebody asked me the other day what my New Year's resolution was going to be for 2011? I told them I have been on top of my New Year's resolution for the last six weeks. Civilians don't understand how we do it. How can you go through the holidays and not drink, not eat, not party? How is that possible? I guess the average person doesn't understand that what we as competitors do is bigger than ourselves. We are able to get past the holiday cheer and see the bigger picture. We know that every meal, every rep, every set matters from day 1 until show time.

santa-1.jpg

The one thing I can participate in is shopping! I don't know what it is, I come from a lower-middle class upbringing and I was never taught to blow through cash but I think the diet makes me this way. I guess I'll put it to you this way, since I can't spend money at restaurants, I might as well spend it somewhere else. The one thing I did notice was walking through the mall two days before Xmas can be interesting for someone like me. There are a few different types of people: 1. The old woman or man who are totally in awe by what we do and usually the little old lady has to get a bicep feel...lol. 2. The average gym warrior who walks through the mall and looks at you and wants to take another look but wants to maintain his pride. 3. Then there are the women who are speed shopping and blow right through your shoulder only to realize it?s not easy to move bodybuilder of my size. From there I get a dirty look like its my fault I'm this size and I should be banned from the mall altogether. 4. Lastly, you have two types of kids; ones that stare at you like your a comic book character and want to reach out and start wrestling and two, the kinds that run for the nearest parent and scream in fear that such a human exists. Gotta love'em, all those people make for a pretty interesting shopping day.

The other thing I noticed in hitting the mall, since I haven't been in quite some time, is it?s not as easy as it once was to shop. I'm not talking about the fact that NOTHING on the racks fits and the food court is really just an exercise in complete discipline. I'm talking about the fact that after walking through the mall once or twice its pretty much time to go home. I did a couple laps and I was looking for the electrical wheel chairs to finish out the day!

I guess I should have talked about my prep a little bit huh? Well I found out today that I wasn't getting a Xmas present from the IFBB - I did not get the Arnold Invite...YET. I understand though, I haven't competed in about 14 months and I'm sure they don't know that the person coming back is not at all the person that hit the stage then. Like everything else in my life, nothing comes easy and it?s all earned, not given. I have been dealing with adversity all throughout my career and I have no problem dealing with this. The one thing I do know is this, the top three at the FLEX Pro will most likely get an invite to the ASC. In my mind, if I can't place in the top three at the FLEX Pro, I shouldn't be on the ASC stage anyway. I want to bring the best package I can to both shows and make sure I am in the top spots. I'm not playing around no more and if I can't get into those top spots then it?s BACK TO THE SQUAT RACK!!

Fouad 'Hoss' Abiad

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
Also, it's official Kai won't compete in this show.

In this case, Dex, Fouad and Ben P. will be the top 3 imo.

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
Ben Pakulski trains chest 16 weeks out

Just before starting his contest diet for the FLEX PRO, Ben Pakulski allowed FLEX an inside look at his chest training. Ben is joined by Joel Thomas who was hot off a fifth place finish in the heavyweight class at the 2010 NPC Nationals.

Check out all FOUR PARTS to see some serious muscle and get a lot of tips from Ben on chest training.
PART 1: Incline Bench Press

PART 2: Machine Bench Press

PART 3: Incline Dumbbell Fly

PART 4: Hammer Press

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
^ such awkward chemistry with those two.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ You look more ripped than in your previous avi, Se?orito Luis. Great job.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
^ thanks, im trying to hit the gym as hard as i can during winter break, once school starts ill diet harder. I am also doing more cardio lately.

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
December 29, 2010

Preparation is the Name of the Game

So most people wonder what bodybuilders do all day and how they could possibly need all day just to work out and eat. Until you reach a level where eating is more important than breathing you wouldn't really understand. I have tried all different types of things: Cooking all my food at the beginning of the week, cooking my meals for a few days at a time, cooking weeks worth and vacuum sealing and the best one, cooking each meal hot and fresh.

12281002-1.jpg

Yes I am one of those guys - I need my food fresh. I can't eat tupperware chicken or cold fish unless I absolutely have to and even then I make sure I wash it down with so much water it might as well be blended. Sorry for the nasty visual. I do cook some things ahead of time like potatoes (boiled) or chicken (baked) but even that?s only for a few days and when I have to eat it I actually cook it again in a frying pan to heat it up instead of microwaving it. Have you ever had boiled potato cut up into cubes and fried up in some pam? It is damn good when you are dieting!

12281001-1.jpg

More important than cooking the food either ahead of time or on the spot is actually having the food on hand. More times than not I have had clients that tell me they missed such and such a meal or had to sub this meal or that because they ran out of fish, steak or chicken. One thing I always make sure of is I have tons of food in my house. I stock up; Costco is my home away from home, well actually the gym is but the people at Costco know me now so they would say it?s a close second. My freezer is stocked with bags of tilapia and Costco?s chicken breast is the freshest (where I live anyway). I go to the butcher (Mr. Meat) for my steak and usually have two different cuts: One for offseason (bottom sirloin) and one cut for precontest (round steak). He grinds it all up for me so it?s easier for cooking and eating and it doesn't do a number on my teeth when I'm eating 5lbs a day. He also packs it up for me in 12oz portions which is perfect so I don't have to waste my time measuring!

12281003-1.jpg

Anyway, back to my original point. All of this takes time. In a day I have to get up and go to the gym for cardio, stretching, abs. Eat, then chiro, then grocery shopping, then tanning. I rest a little then back to the gym to train. I head back home to eat, cook and prepare more food. Do some more home therapy (foam roller, ect.), check fan emails, write this blog, and get some sleep. I love it and I wouldn't have it any other way but anyone who says its easy and we are lazy bodybuilders has no idea what this lifestyle really takes at this level.

12281004-1.jpg

I am blessed to be able to train fulltime and I know if I wasn't I wouldn't be where I am today. I am thankful because I know the ride could end at anytime but that?s the excitement of life! Going for all of it and seeing where you land. Why play it safe when there is so much more you could be doing....

Fouad 'Hoss' Abiad

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great read, I'm enjoying these uodates very much.

Mike33

Mike33

I think 2011 can be a good year for Fouad :) I hope so anyway!

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
Fouad Abiad Trains Back and Hamstrings 9 Weeks out from the Flex Pro

saamies

saamies

Dexter trains back 8 weeks from Flex Pro

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
^^ :2:

December 30, 2010

I Over Indulged at Christmas!

Christmas this year happened to fall exactly 8 weeks out from my first show of the year, the 2011 FLEX Pro. I have a rather small family, so the holiday?s are important to me because I really value those times when we get together. Even one missing person is always noticed and missed. So despite being so close to my show, I felt it necessary to come home.

I?m not going to lie; it was a tough first few days. Every bodybuilder I know is a creature of habit, throw off that habit or routine and he will feel out of sorts for a few days. I am no different. The great part of being home is that despite doing all the same things I do in California, the week just seemed to be more restful for me. I feel refreshed and recharged and ready to smash the last 8 weeks.

I?m sitting at about 300lbs at the moment, which puts me about 8lbs heavier than I was at this point for my last contest. I am a bit leaner as well. The weight just seems to be distributed differently. Better balance all around and my waist is down almost 2 inches. I?ve got a few new things I?m doing to bring down the waist to maximize my shoulder to waist ratio and they are working like a charm. A new week begins for me today, Sunday Dec 26th. I allowed my off day to fall on Saturday this week so as to spend those hours with my family. I just pushed all the workouts back so I didn?t have a day off mid week.

Sitting down to Christmas dinner is always a fun time. I decided to over indulge this year?..on green vegetables! My plate was overflowing with roast beef, turkey and about 5 kinds of green vegetables. My family is extremely understanding and supportive of my life style. Although I must admit, this has taken a few years of coercing. I am really feeling as though there is a lot of room to grow into this show. One of the motivating and exciting parts of competing is seeing how much you can change your body from show to show. This year?s prep is so different from any other and I can?t wait to see the end result! Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday season. No regrets. Back to business!

Focus, Set Goals, Grow!
Pak

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
January 05, 2011

When Did Ab Training Stop Being Cool?

So we're six and a half weeks out from the Flex Pro and I am feeling better than ever this close to a show. I am not yelling at people on the road, fighting with friends, and not nagging my girlfriend too badly. I think things are going pretty smoothly, the weight is coming down slowly, the waist gets tighter everyday and my strength has dropped a little but still not bad at all. What more could I ask for: An easy prep has been unheard of for me. In saying all this I know the next six weeks are going to be more hellish than the last ten but so be it, I am going to do my best to maintain my bubbly disposition...lol.

I mentioned the waist getting tighter and I believe it?s from something that I did way back when I was getting ready for my first show and then after that I began to take my stomach for granted. When I did my first show I did abs every single day of my prep, nothing crazy. I would do about six sets total all to failure of varying exercises; nothing too intense but enough to give them a burn. I did this every day and the day of the show I had a tight waist, shredded up and down the sides and actually I believe it helped me win that first show.

Fouad's First Show
pic27-1.jpg

After that I took for granted like most pros that my abs would just be there from all the heavy lifting. Like most pros they were there but they weren't as tight, the lines all around my waist weren't as deep and it definitely was not a strong point after my first two shows. So naturally I have gone back to my roots and it?s actually become an obsessive thing for me because it feels so good. Every morning after my cardio I hit the ab section where there are the fitness men are and I try to copy them. It doesn't look so pretty all the time and most likely I look like a gorilla trying to act like a cat , but when I'm done my waist is tighter and the lines are deeper. Whoever says 'oh don't do abs they'll be there anyway' has never done them for a show. Those people are right your abs will be there but think about how much better they could be if you took the time to etch in crazy details. If you don't believe me just ask any of the bodybuilders from the 80's how they feel about it, or better yet just watch some old Shawn Ray videos and you will get it.

I guess the larger point to all this is never to just accept someone else's opinion as gospel. Sure pro bodybuilders have tons of experience under their belt and they have more knowledge about training than the average person, but in saying that you have to remember that all of us are different and what works for me won't always work for someone else. My opinion is to always try something, give it a real honest effort for one or two months and see what the result is. If it hasn't helped you than drop it; if it does than go with it and be thankful that someone helped you along the way in your journey. I see people in the gym all the time doing certain things because they saw it in a video or were told to do it or better yet NOT to do it. Just remember bodybuilding is about creating the best physique YOU can possibly create, so how is copying someone else suppose to help? Try different things and always be open to new ideas, but at the end of the day remember that your physique is your physique and the mirror will not lie to you if you should keep doing something or not.

Fouad 'Hoss' Abiad

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
Interesting how the main poster for this show changed. It looks like Wolf and Centopani may compete here.