• Legal Notice – MuscleMecca Forums

    MuscleMecca.com is an educational discussion platform. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any bodybuilding gear, supplements, research chemicals, or performance-enhancing substances.

    All discussions are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing posted on this forum should be considered medical or legal advice.

    Do not attempt to sell, source, or promote illegal substances. Any such activity will result in an immediate and permanent ban and may be reported to the proper authorities.

    By using this site, you agree to comply with all forum rules, disclaimers, and applicable laws in your jurisdiction.

    Read Our Full Disclaimer and Forum Rules

Deadlift - Shoe's or bare feeted?

Robcardu

Robcardu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
4,816
Points
38
Shoes and a thong, thats it.
 
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
8,129
Points
63
For deadlifts I think Chucks pwn all but I also lift barefoot and with a pair of capris (I think) that have next to no sole thickness.
 
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Apr 7, 2007
Messages
10,145
Points
63
I got some flat kappa shoes, squat and deadlift in those.
 
ironheart

ironheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Oct 1, 2006
Messages
2,066
Points
38
I think that everyone who has owned or does own a pair says they are worth every penny (from my research into buying a pair).

The hard part is sizing considering that you have to order them online.

i use weightlifting shoes for squats and they are worth every penny imo.

allthough they are not a must i can definitely recommend buying a pear.
 
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Joined
Jun 5, 2007
Messages
6,008
Points
48
i use asics running shoes or DC skating shoes or some flat puma shoes... i dont really care either way, it all feels the same to me since i have really bad flatfoot.
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
i use asics running shoes or DC skating shoes or some flat puma shoes... i dont really care either way, it all feels the same to me since i have really bad flatfoot.

Ditch the running shoes. They were made for running not lifting.
 
Cork

Cork

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
470
Points
18
i use weightlifting shoes for squats and they are worth every penny imo.

allthough they are not a must i can definitely recommend buying a pear.

For consideration to the OP, let's stay on topic and not start talking about fruit.
 
kn609

kn609

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Mar 8, 2008
Messages
592
Points
18
For consideration to the OP, let's stay on topic and not start talking about fruit.
Be careful when you mention fruits, you might attract the Kai Greene haters. :rofl3:

dilatedmuscle said:
i use asics running shoes or DC skating shoes or some flat puma shoes... i dont really care either way, it all feels the same to me since i have really bad flatfoot.
Like Tim said, don't use running shoes for lifting, they're meant for running for a reason. They are practically the complete opposite of what you should be lifting in.

Hey Tim, do you think the Chuck Taylors work well with Olympic lifts, too?
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
Hey Tim, do you think the Chuck Taylors work well with Olympic lifts, too?

My previous shoe was very similar to a Chuck Taylor. They are ok to do the O'lifts in but I can see why most weightlifting shoes have a heel on them. As an allround lifting shoe Chuck's are hard to beat. But there is a reason O'lifters have their shoes, I'm using Frees as a compromise for that.
 

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jun 12, 2007
Messages
5,990
Points
38
I have really noticed a difference deadlifting in socks only (barefoot basically) Squats I prefer flat foot shoes to barefoot.
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
I have really noticed a difference deadlifting in socks only (barefoot basically) Squats I prefer flat foot shoes to barefoot.

Actually I like training barefoot, but I really do appreciate shoes more when squatting heavy than deadlifting. Deadlifting feels very natural in barefeet, squatting I often feel like I prefer having the shoes on.
 
Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 24, 2007
Messages
1,244
Points
38
Actually I like training barefoot, but I really do appreciate shoes more when squatting heavy than deadlifting. Deadlifting feels very natural in barefeet, squatting I often feel like I prefer having the shoes on.

Squatting barefoot should have advatage by strenghtening the foot area right? I remember when I first started squatting barefoot I had nice pump in my calfs and foot area. Haven't used any shoes since the beginning of june and I love it!
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
Squatting barefoot should have advatage by strenghtening the foot area right? I remember when I first started squatting barefoot I had nice pump in my calfs and foot area. Haven't used any shoes since the beginning of june and I love it!

Strengthen, get the foot more mobile, improve biofeedback, improve proprioception, etc.

Like a I hinted at above the limitation of barefoot is down to the fact that we have trained ourselves to wear shoes since we were kids. So suddenly changing that, especially for people with high arches, can be an issue.
 
cereal

cereal

Well-known member
Member
Joined
May 29, 2009
Messages
342
Points
18
i use weightlifting shoes for squats and they are worth every penny imo.

allthough they are not a must i can definitely recommend buying a pear.

weighlifting shoes ftw!
 
V

vdawg

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
199
Points
16
flip flops for me hahahah
 
Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Joined
Dec 23, 2007
Messages
7,444
Points
38
I don't deadlift barefoot because I deadlift Sumo style... although the chucks aren't much protection, they do help a bit if I dump the weight on my foot.
 
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
7,956
Points
73
I don't deadlift barefoot because I deadlift Sumo style... although the chucks aren't much protection, they do help a bit if I dump the weight on my foot.

Yep, nothing worse than blood, skin and bone all over the gym floor. Much better to keep that in your shoes.

I seem to be alternating between deadlifting barefoot or in shoes at the moment. Doesn't make much of a difference for me. I only notice it when I go to do calves afterwards, which I really need shoes on for.
 
TM817

TM817

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2007
Messages
69
Points
8
deadlift-bare feet. everything else-always boots.
 
Justwonderin

Justwonderin

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2009
Messages
86
Points
6
i just wanted to point out that I believe its barefoot not barefeet. thats about all I could contribute to the discussion
 

Similar threads

Mind Pump TV
Replies
0
Views
62
Mind Pump TV
Mind Pump TV
Mind Pump TV
Replies
0
Views
108
Mind Pump TV
Mind Pump TV
SteelPhysique
Replies
5
Views
257
PumpChaser
PumpChaser
SteelPhysique
Replies
5
Views
371
SweatLovin
SweatLovin
Top