• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

How much does a bodybuilder make?

Kayce

Kayce

VIP
Author
When you invest time, dedication, and commitment into your occupation or career, it may not pay off immediately, but in the long run, it will. So it shouldn't come as a surprise when you see bodybuilders driving the latest cars and living in mansions. Legendary bodybuilders like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jay Cutler, Phil Heath, and Kai Greene are doing very well for themselves, and all have a fat net worth.

But there are levels to the way these bodybuilders earn. Not all bodybuilders are as rich as Arnold Schwarzenegger or Dorian Yates, yet they lead a comfortable life. This is also applicable to classic bodybuilding and physique competitors too.

Dorian Yates

Bodybuilding is a niche sport, but bodybuilders can still earn well. Although they're not paid any salary, they get paid through contracts and competitions. And when it comes to earning, it's not the bodybuilder with the biggest muscles that earn more but the one with the most entrepreneurial spirit.

Salary Ranges for Bodybuilders​

The average bodybuilder earns about $42,571 per year. They could earn this amount from participating in competitions, sponsorships, modeling, or becoming a personal trainer. Below is a more in-depth view of how bodybuilders make their money.

Competitions​

A random person may think bodybuilders earn the most money by winning competitions. However, winning the competition is only a tip of their income. Because most of them only compete in shows at least once a year, these shows can include Mr.Olympia or Arnold Classic competitions. Some bodybuilders even take a hiatus from competing, probably because they want to improve their physique. If they were to enter any competition, it would force them to go on a strict diet and reduce their fat levels.
The prize money for the Mr. Olympia competition is as follows: $400,000 for the overall winner, $150,000 for the runner-up, $100,000 for the third place, & 55,000 for the fourth place and $45,000 for the fifth place.

Placing fifth in the Olympia is not easy, and coming close to even the top 6 means you'll have to outperform others. So, pacing fifth and earning $45,000 in prize money for a competition that bodybuilders spend at least four months preparing for isn't enough for a year. And judging by the lifestyle of these bodybuilders, it's easy to say that most of their wealth don't even come from winning competitions, but it's one of their source of income.

Sponsorship​

Sponsorship is another lucrative source of income for bodybuilders. Once an individual turns pro, they are usually sought out by many companies for sponsorship deals.
When a bodybuilder receives a pro card, they can be sure of getting supplement sponsorship and sponsorship with some major publications like Flex Magazine or Muscular Development.

Now, the print media is gradually going extinct, and publication or magazine sponsorship are folding up, but supplement sponsorship is still a big deal. The supplement industry is a big one, so there's a chance for professional bodybuilders to represent a brand. Apart from the supplement industry, other brands like wellness or clothing brands also offer sponsorship to bodybuilders. Sponsorships can earn a bodybuilder as much as $250,000 a year, apart from other incentives that the sponsors include.

Modeling​

Modeling is another way for bodybuilders to earn more money. Modeling for magazines is the easiest way for bodybuilders to make more money - it can make them $500-$2,000 daily. However, magazine deals are not so common anymore, so they're not a sure means of income. Nude modeling is another way of earning money for bodybuilders. Posing for art classes is another means of modeling, and the pay is around $10-$100 per hour.

Also, most bodybuilders use merchandise like t-shirts, hats, and shaker bottles to increase their income. This makes bodybuilders delve into entrepreneurship; depending on the product and brand, there can be a high-profit margin. This is why most bodybuilders work on their social media presence.

Bodybuilders have various ways of making money. For instance, professional bodybuilders can guest pose for amateur bodybuilding shows. And when a professional bodybuilder guest poses in shows like that, it attracts a lot of crowds. If a bodybuilder like Kai Greene comes to guest pose, he'll command a lot of money.
Sometimes, bodybuilders can make guest appearances at supplement stores or gym openings and then get paid. Sometimes, this can work as part of a contract or supplement sponsorship.

Personal Training​

Bodybuilders can make money through personal training. This means they train clients individually, and most bodybuilders can make at least $50,000 a year. The amount a body makes through personal training depends on reputation, physique, and how many clients they have. Also, as bodybuilders grow, some start their gyms to make extra money.
Also, bodybuilders make money by working as nutritionists or posing coaches. Some work online, while some offer workout programs and nutrition plans remotely.
Another means of income for bodybuilders would be selling workout ebooks or programs. A workout program can be sold on Amazon or as a pdf. They can be designed to meet goals like weight loss or muscle gain.

Conclusion/Summary​

A bodybuilder that's committed to his career has a lot of ways to earn money for himself. Most bodybuilders are taking advantage of technology and creating content on YouTube. Sometimes they do website ads about nutrition, and they get paid.

Professional bodybuilders may earn most of their money by placing first in big competitions, but the prize money is not enough to fund their lifestyle. So even elite bodybuilders still need other means of income to meet their needs.

There are many options available, but the only way to unlock all these options is to become a successful bodybuilder who is hard to ignore. When you're successful as a bodybuilder, big supplement brands and other ventures will come looking for you.

Reactions: KaiGold, TalkAdmin and ArnoldS
Joe Pietaro

Joe Pietaro

Joe Pietaro Contributer
VIP
Author
Most bodybuilders make little-to-nothing from their status as such (especially at the amateur level) and the days of exclusive magazine contracts and big supplement/apparel sponsorships are gone. They can get by doing seminars and personal training. But if you think that you're going to get rich once getting a pro card, keep dreaming.

Reactions: KaiGold, TalkAdmin, TheRoid and 1 other person
ArnoldS

ArnoldS

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It says 50k a year. That ain't shit. I sure as fuck don't do it for money.

I am using the MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Mobile App!

Reactions: KaiGold, TalkAdmin and TheRoid
Joe Pietaro

Joe Pietaro

Joe Pietaro Contributer
VIP
Author
It says 50k a year. That ain't shit. I sure as fuck don't do it for money.

Exactly. Do it for yourself and the passion you have for the sport.

Reactions: KaiGold and TalkAdmin
KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think only a really small percentage of bodybuilders do it to earn anything. one my friends kills himself to get ready for shows that don't even have cash prizes.

Joe Pietaro

Joe Pietaro

Joe Pietaro Contributer
VIP
Author
I think only a really small percentage of bodybuilders do it to earn anything. one my friends kills himself to get ready for shows that don't even have cash prizes.

If that's the reason someone wants to be a bodybuilder, then they have succeeded regardless of any monetary gain... or in most cases, loss. Hopefully, they can turn that around with a sponsorship or training clients.

Reactions: KaiGold
KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If that's the reason someone wants to be a bodybuilder, then they have succeeded regardless of any monetary gain... or in most cases, loss. Hopefully, they can turn that around with a sponsorship or training clients.
My friend was really fat before so he does it for himself.

Joe Pietaro

Joe Pietaro

Joe Pietaro Contributer
VIP
Author
My friend was really fat before so he does it for himself.

That's awesome. Good for him. One's health has no price tag.

Reactions: KaiGold