• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Official Film Discussion and Last Movie You Watched

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I'd like to here how you thought Ledger did with the Joker character.
He was very good. One of my favorite performances of the year.
The Sacrifice (Tarkovsky) 8/10
Andrei Rublev (Tarkovsky) 9/10
Stranger than fiction 7/10
I just noticed that this is what sparked the Stranger than Fiction talk. My problem isn't that you've given it a positive rating here, it's that your score, juxtaposed next to those of two of Tarkovsky's best, looks far too healthy. Forster hasn't done anything to merit such treatment.

Oh, and while I'm in here: Coming Home (Ashby, 1978) 6.5

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^
I thought the same thing when I wrote that, but let it go cause Will Ferrell is funny.
In hind site, it's prob rated a little too high. Not used to the 1-10 rating.
The movie Stranger than fiction is in No way shape or form even close to a Tarkovsky film.
I hope that clears things up.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
^^^
I thought the same thing when I wrote that, but let it go cause Will Ferrell is funny.
In hind site, it's prob rated a little too high. Not used to the 1-10 rating.
The movie Stranger than fiction is in No way shape or form even close to a Tarkovsky movie.
I hope that clears things up.
Heh, it's quite alright. I'd probably rate it around a 5 myself and I've been tweaking how I place films on my 0-10 scale for quite some time. As far as Tark goes, my ratings would be as follows:

Andrei Rublev - 10
Stalker - 10
The Sacrifice - 9
Mirror - 8.5
Solaris - 8.5
Nostalghia - 8
Ivan's Childhood - 8

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Haven't seen Stalker or Ivan's childhood. I will have to see Stalker if it is as good to you as Andrei Rublev. We agree on Nostalghia & Solaris.

IMO ~ The first 12 minutes of The Exorcist is some of the greatest film in American Cinema.
What did you think of Antonioni's The Passenger?

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
IMO ~ The first 12 minutes of The Exorcist is some of the greatest film in American Cinema.
I'm not the biggest fan. It's not bad by any means but I wouldn't go this far either.
skindnef said:
What did you think of Antonioni's The Passenger?
I'm actually watching this sometime in the next week. All I've seen thus far are:

L'avventura - 9.5
L'eclisse - 9
Il deserto rosso - 8
La notte - 8
Blowup - 5

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The Passenger (Antonioni) 9/10 for me. Visually near perfect cinematography by Luciano Tovoli . I think you'll really enjoy it. I was fortunate enough to get to see it recently in a theatre. Let me know what you think.

Zentropa is next for me because it's been too long.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
The Passenger (Antonioni) 9/10 for me. Visually near perfect cinematography by Luciano Tovoli . I think you'll really enjoy it. I was fortunate enough to get to see it recently in a theatre. Let me know what you think.

Zentropa is next for me because it's been too long.
I do look forward to it. Zentropa/Europa is the only feature film from von Trier that I haven't seen.

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Dude!? It's his only timeless piece of work thus far IMO.
A must see. Will never forget it.

Eraserhead or Lost Highway? Lynch fan?

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Dude!? It's his only timeless piece of work thus far IMO.
A must see. Will never forget it.
Dogville is his masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. Europa is getting Criterion treatment soon so I'll be seeing it shortly after its release.
skindnef said:
Eraserhead or Lost Highway? Lynch fan?
Lost Highway. I'm a Lynch fan but less so than I was even a year ago, but I still have a copy of the book Lynch on Lynch on my dresser. I was able to see Inland Empire three times in theaters though. That was something.

Oh, and Time of the Wolf (Haneke, 2003) - Not sure how I feel about this yet...

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Dogville was a love it or hate it. I happened to love it, everyone I saw it with hated it. I would put The 5 obstructions over Dogville on a "best of" Von Trier list, with Zentropa/Europa at the top of the list. Did you like The 5 obstructions?

Lynch on Lynch on my dresser. I was able to see Inland Empire three times in theaters though. That was something.
Nice!

So IYO what's better than the first 12 minutes of the Exorcist in American Cinema?

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Dogville was a love it or hate it. I happened to love it, everyone I saw it with hated it. I would put The 5 obstructions over Dogville on a "best of" Von Trier list, with Zentropa/Europa at the top of the list. Did you like The 5 obstructions?
I haven't seen it yet but von Trier isn't involved nearly as much as you think.
skindnef said:
So IYO what's better than the first 12 minutes of the Exorcist in American Cinema?
Pretty much anything notable that the following directors have shot:

Cassavetes
Lynch
Scorsese
PT Anderson
Allen
Altman
Coppola
Malick
Chaplin
Keaton
Welles
Hitchcock

SiCK

SiCK

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just watched the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven, its sooo much better then the regular cut. It has an hour of extra footage and added subplot.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
i would give Stranger Than Fiction a -10/10. i thought it was one of the worst movies i have ever seen.

I can't believe the hate for this movie, its an awesome film. Great performances by Will Ferrell and Maggie Gyllenhal and a storyline that left me changed after first viewing. 9/10 :xmaswiggle:

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - 8/10, Much lulz were had. :xmaskekegay:

The Million Dollar Hotel - 8/10, A beautiful movie with wonderful fucked up performances by the main characters.

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tiny Machines: The Feynman Lecture on Nanotechnology 8/10
The Wild Blue Yonder ~Herzog 6/10