• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Official Film Discussion and Last Movie You Watched

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Vin Deisel and Paul Walker are back for the next Fast & Furious film. :no:

Says a lot about their careers.

However the girl in it looks good: Gal Gadot. :spy:

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sad indeed. Vin had a cameo appearance in Fast & Furious: Drifters am I right ?

B

beex215

alvin and the chipmunks.

surprisingly a good movie.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I watched Dogma a few days ago. I know not many people like Kevin Smith, but I think he's funny. Sometimes he gets too serious in a comedy. Like Clerks II for example. I wanted a comedy, not a dramady.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Dogma's tolerable and not without its moments.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I disagree almost fully with your American Gangster assessment, and then you like some movies like Southpark. Sometime's I get confused on what it is you like in a movie. But oh well, the movie made money so that is all that matters to them not what a few people thought was wrong with it.
Now, I am finishing There will be blood.. that is one movie that I completely agree with. I am enjoying it very much.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I disagree almost fully with your American Gangster assessment, and then you like some movies like Southpark.
Vague much? I lay out a fairly in-depth criticism of the film and you don't touch a detail. Poor form. And please don't reduce this to an argument of subjectivity and art because that's a pretty worthless statement in dissection and critique. I'm not sure I understand the pot shot at South Park either because a high level of realization and thematic layering is actually present in that film.
Braaq said:
But oh well, the movie made money so that is all that matters to them not what a few people thought was wrong with it.
Which is part of the inherent flaw of filmmakers these days, art is a mere after-thought which is something I briefly touched on in terms of cinematic progressionalism.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Vague much? I lay out a fairly in-depth criticism of the film and you don't touch a detail. Poor form. And please don't reduce this to an argument of subjectivity and art because that's a pretty worthless statement in dissection and critique. I'm not sure I understand the pot shot at South Park either because a high level of realization and thematic layering is actually present in that film.

I do not have to be anymore than vague other than I do not agree, is that not ok? Last time I checked I can agree or disagree and I do not have to give details :e5dunno:
I am aware that I do not know as much about film as you do, I do other things with my spare time. But there is a reason why some critics have different takes on the same film. All that you listed in your assessment is nothing but PREFERENCE and OPINION, a well educated opinion but an opinion and nothing more.

Line said:
Which is part of the inherent flaw of filmmakers these days, art is a mere after-thought which is something I briefly touched on in terms of cinematic progressionalism.

In many people's eyes, including myself and many other critics and film makers, we would disagree with you. :food-snacking:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I enjoyed Southpark and agree with you that there is a high level of realization and thematic layering is actually present in that film. I am just saying your taste in films seems to be very broad, yet not very open as well.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I enjoyed Southpark and agree with you that there is a high level of realization and thematic layering is actually present in that film. I am just saying your taste in films seems to be very broad, yet not very open as well.
I like good films but much of it is based on what a film is trying to be. I'll never give Dirty Work a 0 and claim its trying to be the next 2001: ASO but at the same time I won't be giving it a 10 either.
I do not have to be anymore than vague other than I do not agree, is that not ok? Last time I checked I can agree or disagree and I do not have to give details :e5dunno:
It's a bit annoying and arrogant to make a request, on more than one occasion, for an explanation as to my dislike of a film and then to dismiss those efforts entirely without counterpoint. You offer no frame of reference to your own knowledge or what characteristics in film you find are most important or even a preference of subjectivity or objectivity, though it's fairly clear you prefer the prior. I'm not sure why you feel there's a need to openly vocalize a shallow opinion without discussing the film or your take on it but to merely disagree (I realize I often share my opinion on any given movie without reason but, to be fair, and always willing to justify it). Believe it or not, something can be taken out of the give and take of discussion and out of the works themselves for that matter.
Braaq said:
I am aware that I do not know as much about film as you do, I do other things with my spare time.
I'm not sure if the latter part of this sentence was a shot at me but I could care less regardless. I'm pretty sure the entire forum is well aware of my having a social life.
Braaq said:
But there is a reason why some critics have different takes on the same film. All that you listed in your assessment is nothing but PREFERENCE and OPINION, a well educated opinion but an opinion and nothing more.
Braaq said:
In many people's (including myself and many other critics and film makers) would disagree with you. :food-snacking:
I separated these because originally I was going to respond to them individually but decided to include my response in one entry, though didn't want your individual points to mesh. I've already discussed and gave an insight as to what the trappings are of professional criticism as there are contractual bonds and other pressuring influences that they must endure. This can be accepted or ignored by you, I could care less truthfully, but it's a certain nonetheless. As for the opinion of the average person, there's not a statistic I could care less about. The average person or people are idiots and put Meet the Spartans as #1 at the box-office earlier this year after doing so with Epic Movie the year before. As for what I've mentioned previously regarding stagnancy in cinematic betterment, all those statements stand. Without bold new strokes, or well-adapted versions of older ones, movies will reach a stand still as far as originality and quality are concerned. Something else that should be noted is that not all filmmakers are idiots and I'd group Ridley Scott as one that falls into the "not mindless" variety. These men and women have definitive goals that they hope to follow through on in creating a new motion picture and its the job (and joy!) of the serious cinephile to interpret, dissect, and analyze whether or not these objective qualities are met. If you feel for a second that the aforementioned criticisms aren't something that almost all directors mentally tackle while making a film you're severely lacking an essential understanding on what goes into making a motion picture.

If you want to base your petty quibble on what restricted critics or uncultured citizens think about art then I can't help you and you may continue to sit back and enjoy your popcorn. I prefer to take something out of films because they're art in its highest and most expressive form.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Its very hard to read your posts Line :no: But sorry I brought it up, arguing is pointless because I cant even get through half of your posts :49:
That being said most of the American public are idiots, and your right about the parody movies being catapalted to number one. But I am not one of those people, I just do not disect movies as deeply as you do.
Also, I was not making a jab at you. Why would I do that? I am not trying to make a petty thing like this personal. :e5dunno: I am friends with you on myspace and facebook.. I am very aware of your social life. :xyxthumbs:

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Braaq, what you need to realize is that this is all Lines opinion, he is very skilled at reviewing movies, but it`s still one mans opinion.

You should not be taking his words so seriously. If he doesn`t like a movie you do, it doesn`t mean the movie is bad... and you shouldn`t try to defend a movie you like :3

This even happens when major critics review a film, sometimes it get`s mixed reviews. It can happen. Just forget about Line and don`t let his opinion influence the movies you like. His words are not law xD

Edit: Oh shit I just read the last few posts, nevermind :3

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Its very hard to read your posts Line :no: But sorry I brought it up, arguing is pointless because I cant even get through half of your posts :49:

they arent that hard to get through :keke: His posts are generally well written

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What did you guys think of Leon: The Professional?

I watched it last night for the first time in a while. I had seen it before, but I didn't really "watch" it. I actually watched it last night and I was surprised at how well written and directed it was. The acting was great and stared a young Natalie Portman.

Great movie. 8 out of 10.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The Darjeeling Limited - A Great low budget film directed by Wes Anderson, with Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody, Jason Schwartzman.
A terrific and entertaining movie, with subtle humor. It's a tale of three brothers who have not seen or spoken to each other in a year since their father died. The eldest Francis (Wilson) has a near death experience and sends for his brothers in India to secretly find their mother who did not show to the funeral.
The brothers have a tarnished and untrusting relationship. Throughout the movie they are confronted with relationship, trust issues, death, and the past which they simbolically let go at the end of the film by losing their fathers lugage. After their spiritual journey they redevelop the bond that they once shared.
I thought the movie was well directed, great music choices and good acting. The three (Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody, Jason Schwartzman) work very well together and have great screen chemistry.

I give the film an 8.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I finished There Will Be Blood... I was very shocked by the ending to say the least. You think the movie is going one way and then it turns. Great film :xyxthumbs:

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
lol, The ending took me by surprise

The kid with the shirt and him walking away was super-lame though because it seemed like it would have ended sooner, but whamm-o credits.