• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Pro's When They Were Young (photos)

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
cutler had insane quads back then...i like those quads more then the one he ahs now :)

curtisymoo

curtisymoo

woah bob is beast at 16 haha and priest looked amazing at 17

thanks for the pics! :xyxthumbs:

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I think the pic of Lee at 13 is the most insane, you could believe other at 17-18 being that developed but at 13 when puberty is really only just kicking in is unbelievable!

R

radguym

yea this stuff is definetly crazy. what happened to all the kids today. Its All going down hill

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i find it hard that anybody could have the kinda development that vic richards has at 17 but then again im probably wrong
He has one of those myostatin gene deficiencies that means that the body doesn't have the brakes on in terms of muscle growth. Guys like Vic, and to a lesser extent most easy gaining pro's, will be naturally muscled. Give them food and training and they grow like weeds.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
yea this stuff is definetly crazy. what happened to all the kids today. Its All going down hill

It's being pre-detected and treated.

tim290280 said:
He has one of those myostatin gene deficiencies that means that the body doesn't have the brakes on in terms of muscle growth. Guys like Vic, and to a lesser extent most easy gaining pro's, will be naturally muscled. Give them food and training and they grow like weeds.

These are examples of people and animals that suffer from it.

Wendy1 1

Many of you have seen or heard about Wendy the whippet - a dog with a rare genetic mutation that has led to her being called the Arnold Schwarzenegger of dogs.

The genetic mutation is a deficiency in myostatin, which is a growth factor that limits muscle tissue growth.

But that rare genetic defect does not occur only in the whippet breed. In fact, it can and has occurred in other animals… even in humans themselves!

Behold! The ultimate collection of myostatin deficient monstrosities!

Recently part of a genetics study done in the U.S. on mutation in the myostatin gene in whippets, people mistake her for a pitbull with a pinhead.

wendywhippet.jpg

The uber-muscled whippets are called “bullies,” not because of their nature — Wendy likes nothing better than a good back scratch and isn’t shy about sitting in your lap to ask for one — but because of their size.

Wendy2 1

She’s about twice the weight of an average whippet, but with the same height and small narrow head — and the same size heart and lungs, which means she probably won’t live as long as normal whippets.

Wendy3 1

Here some more pics of lab rats with the condition.

Myostatin mice 1

Muscled mighty mouse 1

Follistanpicture 1

And now for Humans.

Richard Sandrak Also known as Little Hercules, is renowned for his physique at an extremely young age. He started training at two years of age and by the time he was six was pressing 4 times more than his own weight. His father only allowed him to eat according to a strict diet, consisting of liquid nutrients and vegetables.
Sandrak 1

----------
Liam Hoekstra

A 21 month old toddler from Michigan with myostatin deficiency, he has 40 percent more muscle mass than normal, jaw-dropping strength, breathtaking quickness, a speedy metabolism and almost no body fat. Liam came into the world with many birth defects. He had a small hole in his heart, enlarged kidneys, frequently vomited and was born four weeks premature. Medical records indicated that his biological father was “unusually strong.”

“He could do the iron cross when he was 5 months old,” said his adoptive mother, Dana Hoekstra of Roosevelt Park. She was referring to a difficult gymnastics move in which a male athlete suspends himself by his arms between two hanging rings, forming the shape of a cross.

Two days after birth, he was able to fully stand-up and support his own weight. Months later, he began developing ripped abs, naturally doing pull-ups, inverted sit-ups, Olympic styled iron crosses, thigh muscles compared to that of Lance Armstrong and even punching holes into walls during tantrums (he accidentally gave his Mom a black eye once as well).

Liam3 1

Liam2 1

Liam31 1

-------
One famous bodybuilder who allegedly has a myostatin deficiency was Kenneth “Flex” Wheeler.

Unfortunately, Flex Wheeler’s career was cut short in 2000 after he suffered kidney failure and had to retire from professional body building.

Mini1996noc21flexwheeler 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
that is the most bad ass looking dog i have ever seen in my life. it looks totally unreal.

partial myostatin gene inhibition=blessing, full inhibition=curse

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great Post Samoan Z!
True, myostatin inhibition on an animal or human can lead to astounding muscle mass but not necessarily leading to a good thing.

A study I had to read and present recently presented myostatin inhibited mice compared to a wild type (or control group). The results were very surprising. One would expect having a gene that regulates muscle growth would be not only bigger but stronger as well. That was not the case.

The myostatin inhibited mice had a drastic fiber switch to Type IIb muscle fibers. These fibers have a very fast contraction time, low resistance to fatigue, very high force production, low mitochondrial density and very large motor neuron size.
The study showed that the myostatin inhibited mice generated only 53% of the force developed by the wild type. More muscle but only 53% of the strength!?
We delved further and found that despite the fiber type change, using Succinate Dehydrogenase staining (SDH) there was a significantly lower mitochondrial/myonucleus ratio in not only the Type IIb fibers than normal but all fibers (more significantly in the Fast Muscle).
What does this mean?
A blockade of mitochondrial respiration in skeletal muscle results in decreased titanic force generation, independent of fiber change.
Also, there was a greater formation of tubular formation that are responsible for a more rapid release and reuptake of calcium, accounting for differences in twitch kinetics (contraction and relaxation time)
All this means that myostatin inhibition does not seem to benefit from the high tetanic force generation to be expected of glycolytic fibers, and the mitochondrial depletion would suggest increased fatigability and exercise intolerance.
There is a long way to go in the research of myostatin inhibitors, natural and slight myostatin inhibition seems to carry some beneficial side effects as seen in some of today's bodybuilders but can lead to many problems. Unnatural inhibition as explained above is not beneficial for the extra muscle gained. I do not think we will be seeing the use of myostatin inhibitors for a long time or ever.

Sorry for the long post, this is just an area I have been researching and find fascinating.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Braaq... sorry if this may be stabbing at your intelligence but can you lay that out in .. simple terms lol.. you started to lose me at fibers.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Braaq... sorry if this may be stabbing at your intelligence but can you lay that out in .. simple terms lol.. you started to lose me at fibers.

:49: Sorry bro, essentially the myostatin inhibited mice were 53% weaker than normal/control mice. Then I laid it out as to why, but I am not too sure how to really explain that but I am sure that is not as important as the take home message. :tiphat:

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great post BigZ and Braaq!!

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Braaq so they had the muscle of a hulk... but lacked the strength?

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Braaq so they had the muscle of a hulk... but lacked the strength?

Yes, it was not very functional/efficient muscle. And another study showed that myostatin inhibited cows were subject to greater injury than normal cows when exercise was induced. It was mixed in studies with mice.

If I were to attempt gene doping I would stick to GH or IGF-1. But I am looking forward to SARMs (nonsteroidal selective androgen receptor modulators) more than anything. They effect only skeletal muscle, meaning less/no side effects.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
you just summed up braaq's exceedingly wordy post quite succintly

With tim on here I must be prepared rather than not back it up. :wutyousay: Trying to keep up with him is hard

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thats some pretty mind boggling shit.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
genetics sure does play the major role.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Nice posts Braaq and Samoan-Z.

But I don't think Flex Wheeler had that condition, he wasn't that big before he hit the juice like big Vic Richards.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Here is Richard Sandrak mentioned earlier as of now.

This is him with the wrestler big show whom is 7foot somethign and 550lbs.

Him and hulk hogan

Demonstration of strength.... i honestly dunno

Last edited by a moderator: