• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Squat how deep

C

criss6

Thanks when I get time I shall read it.

My trainer tells me to change my stand every so often hitting inner and outer quads, the wider i stand more weight I can use, any thoughts on this?

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks when I get time I shall read it.

My trainer tells me to change my stand every so often hitting inner and outer quads, the wider i stand more weight I can use, any thoughts on this?

Honestly, there isn't really a difference. That is a fallacy. Squat how you are comfortable, as long as you go low enough your quads and whole thigh should be stimulated.
I can't find it, but I read a study where they did an EMG on a mans quads during different squatting stances and there was no substantial difference in quadriceps stimulation. If anyone else knows of which please post :tiphat:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ It is in the thread I posted, towards the end.

Chriss - I'll sum up the thread simply, but you should read it properly before your next session.

Basics:
1) Squat till at least thigh parrallel to ground or deeper (this is about 100-110 degrees of knee bend).
2) Don't squat lower than hammys touching calves.
3) Stance width changes nothing in terms of quads or hammy recruitment. There is no need to change width.
4) Stance width should be roughly shoulder width to allow the greatest depth.
5) Your lower back should maintain a neutral position (no rounding). Your depth should stop before it rounds and work on flexibility/mobility to go deeper if this is before parrallel.
6) Most people in the gym have no idea how to squat and their advice is usually wrong, flawed, or stupid. I've cited science in my thread to back my claims.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ i understand how different stance4s wont affect QUAD stimulation, but what about INNER THIGHS? i always feel wide stance hit the inner thigh much harder, which is important because it gives big size to your overall thighs...thoughts?

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
You being able to lift more with a wider stance is the fact that your hips are comming into play as well as your quads and glutes.

Nothing else needs to be said that Tim and Braaq havn't already said.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ i understand how different stance4s wont affect QUAD stimulation, but what about INNER THIGHS? i always feel wide stance hit the inner thigh much harder, which is important because it gives big size to your overall thighs...thoughts?

Most studies don't actually look at adductor and abductor activity in squats. There was one study I posted from the Target Bodybuilding book that showed that it all remains the same, including the ad- and ab- ductors.
MRI study on which muscles are active during different leg exercises: http://www.musclemecca.com/showthread.php/legs-do-now-34836.html

What you are most likely feeling is either gluteus minimus (or maximus) or that the wide stance places your hips in a stretched position and as such you are getting a greater stretch in that area. I myself notice more abbudctor and glutes in wide stance to the point of cramping because of this stretch.

Science on optimum squat technique: http://www.musclemecca.com/showthread.php/optimizing-squat-technique-23049.html

Kev's addition to the optimum squat technique:
http://www.musclemecca.com/showthread.php/squat-analysis-29820.html

Science of weight belts:
http://www.musclemecca.com/showthread.php/science-weight-belts-23828.html

And some poems about our love of squatting:
http://www.musclemecca.com/showthread.php/squatting-poems-39076.html

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
Great info. Tim!

I'm kind struggling in squatting deep, cause I feel my flexability doesn't allow me to go deeper.

I'm now doing some stretch to overcome this.

Do you guys have some sugestions to it?

I have long legs..it might be harder for me to go really deep. This makes any sense?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Hip stretches, hammys stretches plus doing some unweighted rock bottom squats.

The last one can be done holding onto a rack and wiggling into the lower position (as a stretch) or just by squatting down and hitting on your hunches (which ironically is an animal term that physologically we don't have).

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
^^ Hip stretches, hammys stretches plus doing some unweighted rock bottom squats.

The last one can be done holding onto a rack and wiggling into the lower position (as a stretch) or just by squatting down and hitting on your hunches (which ironically is an animal term that physologically we don't have).

that's kind of what i do.

Thanks TIM.:thumbsup2:

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great info. Tim!

I'm kind struggling in squatting deep, cause I feel my flexability doesn't allow me to go deeper.

I'm now doing some stretch to overcome this.

Do you guys have some sugestions to it?

I have long legs..it might be harder for me to go really deep. This makes any sense?

Also it will benefit you to spend some time using the foam roller. Likely, you are not able to squat deep because of some tightness through your gastrocs and by rolling those out a few times a week it will greatly improve your ability to squat to the correct depth. I would also add to this thread that the gastrocs nor the soleus care about foot positioning on calf raises.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Below parallel otherwise > FAIL