• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tim's Journeyman Log

JS316

JS316

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
JS316: I only get pain in the wrists now if I'm catching the bar wrongly. I've really been working on getting my technique solid (it still sucks in comparison to real lifters who are coached) and seem to make the work sets easily. Would like to see this carry over a bit to lifting heavier.

maybe im catching wrong then:e5dunno:
i try push my elbows through forward as far as poss.. thought that was correct, not sure though..

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Watch some of the videos of the elite guys doing them. They catch the bar at the shoulder, and less with the hands, such that the weight is caught by the whole body and not the wrist/hand.

If you want to see how not to do it look up diesel weasel videos.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
About a year ago I started on a fresh journey. The year previous I had undergone a full knee reconstruction and partial meniscectomy of my right knee and had deligently rehabbed away getting my strength and size back, after significant atrophy.

But there were problems. My knees still had all sorts of dynamic issues, I still got major swelling, and my patella tracked like an optical mouse on glass. Here is a photo taken June 2006 of me squatting to parallel with 180kg (8 reps).
Notice that as I am approaching lockout I have twisted and pushed my right leg slightly forward. This is shithouse form, and I couldn't fix it!!!!

So I changed path. A fresh squatting journey was forged in the colds of winter, through the hot summer, and now in the freezing winter I present:
My ass to grass squat this evening of 140kg for 3 reps. (appreciate how hard it is to get a timed photo when in the bottom position!!!)

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
u go ass to grass when u squat? damn thats some heavy shit, i used to do that before, but now i only go to parallell, i think that hits my quads alot better, just me:) ur a strong dude who seems to know what ure doing, keep up the good work...

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I'm viewing the squats less as a quad exercise and more as a lower body exercise. Greater depth emphasises this. But in all fairness shallow squats, for me, turn into a glute exercise as you have to sit back more so that the knees don't go too far forward and you end up squatting on your toes.

Also I'm not a fan of 1/4 squats, as 90 degree knee bend is where the most forces are acting on the knee, so changing motion at this point is very harmfull. Parallel is fine but I actually think that squatting deeper has got me squatting better, and has provided a better strength basis. I'm no longer using predominantly the quads (while they still bear the brunt of the work) and I'm using a full ROM, just the way the knee was designed.

Kinda like my chinups now having the clavicle touch the bar, makes a huge difference to your shoulders. It may only be a couple of inches ROM difference but really does change the dynamic.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This evenings workout

Warmups

Worksets:

Dips
35kg x3
BW x10
35kg x3
BW x10

Pullups
32.5kg x3
BW x10
32.5kg x3
BW x10

Pushups
10kg x12

2.5" Thick grip pullup

Donkey Calf raise (single leg)
35kg x10
35kg x10
35kg x10

DB Bicep curl
17kg x8
22kg x5
17kg x4

Tricep OH ext
17kg x8

Band Triceps

Thick bar wrist roller
20kg x1

PUMBA

PUMBA

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice session bro.
But I am more impressed with your dedication and obviously achieving the result with your squat, I doubt I have the patience to do this, but considering the difference that you have made for the long term it's more then likely well worth it. Repped:xyxthumbs:

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice session and congrats' with your squat! ATG is the only way to go... I like to say; bench like a powerlifter and squat like a weightlifter ;)

Turkish1530

Turkish1530

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
nice workout there tim keep up the hard work

D

Dstan

props on going ass to grass with that much weight or going ass to grass period cuz alot of people don't do that.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good stuff man and I like that the weight you're using for dips and chins is so comparable!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pumba: Thanks Bro!! It was essentially the second time I had learnt to squat in 12 months when I changed. But I needed it. The first time was tough because it was still dealing with an injury, the second I had to shrug off bad habits. Re-setting your performance can be harder, I certainly didn't mind the lighter weight, but out-benching my squat for awhile was hard to stomach.

Tunen: I'll never go back to those sissy squats!!! Someone the other day said to me that deep squats were bad for the knee, I asked him to justify that statement. No one can, even the science is vague (I.e. more knee forces with greater knee bend for equivilent loads, but smaller ROM allows significantly larger loads which dramatically increase the forces at the knee, how about measuring relative max's for different ROM?). All I know is my knee feels better, and that is no mean feat.

Turkish: Just a little upper body workout before moving house. Thanks for stopping by.

Dstan: I haven't seen too many people squat ATG, maybe 2-3 in my training life, and I rarely see anyone squat to an acceptable depth (parallel). I think this is a reason why so many people have such shitty form in the squat, hitting depth means you really do have to have things pretty spot on form wise.

Rocky: I was using the same weights for Dips and Pullups, but that session was the first time I used more on dips (this cycle). My dips are usually 10-15kg more than pullups/chins. I'm hoping to keep them close, but my dips are improving quicker at the moment. :e5dunno::

I've moved house again, to take up my new permanent position. It means that me and the missus are living together again after a few months apart. It also means that this week has seen me un/packing, un/loading, and carrying all my stuff around. I'm going to include thick bar farmers walks in my routine and I think I've worked out my starting weight when I moved all my weights.

I haven't set up my training facility yet, but hopefully it will happen tomorrow so I'm ready for training to start again with the new working week! Pics to follow.

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nope, that's a steel guitar...these things have like...I can't even describe them. They look like avant garde buildings with their weird sweeping metal things. Very cool, and apparently they sound great.

do you mean a dobson resonater, their those guitars with the steel bowl type fitting with all those weird acoustic holes and shit in the board.

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
congrats on atg squatting, i think its the only squat that counts, i have mates that all claim these massive 180 kg sqauts, but they dont even hit anywhere near parallel, they're just faking strength, atg sqauts are a real equaliser, its the only way to ensure the reps are uniform, sqaut into the pit and blast up!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
KR said:
do you mean a dobson resonater
Well does he Glex?

KR: I completely agree. There is no vaguery about depth with ATG, you either make it or you don't. None of this 90 degree knee bend counting as parrallel! And as you can see there is a big difference between 180kgx8 and 140kgx3 in the same guy 12 months apart and bigger legs.

I've taken the photos for my new setup, and will post them as soon as I download them.

So far I've gotten in three sessions, and it gets bloody cold here overnight so my sessions are involving more warmup. Also I seem to have dropped about 10% strength in the last couple of weeks with the move.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
im most impressed by how much thicker youve got in a year. Not just in the legs but chest as well. Great work tim. Aussie pride !

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pickle: Thanks for noticing dude!!! I've added about 4-5kg between the photos, and am just a little leaner.:tiphat:

My new digs:
SDC11022
Roelly kleine

These were taken in between sets of pullups and dips (plates on rope in front of rack, and bars on supports). The second pic gives you a rough idea of how dark it gets just as I'm training, the flash can't fill in enough of the area, yet in the first shot it did (taken about 90sec apart).

Anyways, work has been hectic, as we have a drought situation here and we need to address the issues, yet I'm in my first week in a completely new area to me. So I'm climbing that steep learning curve and trying to remain sane. Think it has effected my lifts by about 10%.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice set up Tim. Very nice indeed.

Turkish1530

Turkish1530

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
it's defiantly dark there brother like a dam dungeon

Glex

Glex

Diet cat says no spoon 4u
VIP
Well does he Glex?
Nope :49: These things are absolutely crazy looking. I'll let you guys know if I figure it out.

Nice set up, Tim. Once you get settled in at work and with the drought we'll see some more improvements :xyxthumbs: